Having Trouble sexing bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We are on our second litter of netherland dwarfs. They are six weeks old and we are having a hard time sexing them. We think they are all males but hoped to get some help being sure. Any input is helpful since we are learning
wl89rb.jpg
119m885.jpg
dop8jk.jpg

Last edited:
Those all look like boys to me. If they where girls the slit would go down to the poo hole and there would not be a gap between (if that makes sense). In a girl the pee hole and poo hole are closer and a slit connects them, there is no gap.

Thanks for the replies! I think alll boys too. I think not having a girl for reference made it difficult to be sure. But looking at online pics and all none look like a girl. Six boys! Go figure!

Easy way to tell girls look like a taco and boys look like a donut. This is how we teach the 4h kids to learn which is which.

How old are they when you are able to tell? My babies will be 4 weeks tomorrow and I do not want any more babies. It has been a wonderful experience having these 2 but I can't have more. Also how old are they when they can get pregnant?

How old are they when you are able to tell? My babies will be 4 weeks tomorrow and I do not want any more babies. It has been a wonderful experience having these 2 but I can't have more. Also how old are they when they can get pregnant?

i can tell genders at 3 weeks old. They start reaching puberty around 12 weeks old.

Wow the vet said they couldn't tell until around 3-4 months and they couldn't get pregnant until 8 months!!

I guess it depends on your experience, some people can't tell until 3-4 months but most can earlier :D And they definitely can get pregnant as early as 12 weeks! Around that time they will start getting aggressive/hormonal towards each other so separate them at 12 weeks (at the latest). If you want them together after that they will need to be fixed. :)

Wow the vet said they couldn't tell until around 3-4 months and they couldn't get pregnant until 8 months!!

Wow, vet is way off on that :p Bunnies definitely need to be separated by 12 weeks or you may end up with more babies.

Wow, vet is way off on that :p Bunnies definitely need to be separated by 12 weeks or you may end up with more babies.

I wouldn't go to that vet if anything serious ever happens to your rabbit you should probably look out for a rabbit experienced vet. I think if its a large breed rabbit people can tell even younger than three weeks. I can tell at around three weeks on my netherland dwarfs, before that the holes and parts are just too tiny to tell.

Back