having to move some questions about bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flagrl

Reaction score
ok i have to move up to my mom's as the place i was staying at i can no longer stay at. i will be going to go get my bunny and stuff very soon, im up at my mothers for the hoildays. but it will be about a 9 hour drive up here. he will most likely be in a cat carrier on the way up here. is that to far? and what can i do to make him more comfortable on the way up here? also he will have to be locked in his cage when i am not around. he has never been in a cage except just to use the bathroom and to eat will he become depressed since he will have to be in there?

If he were used to using a harness & leash you could stop & exercise him along the way in that. Otherwise, 9 hours IS an awfully long time, but I don't suppose you could let him loose in the car or you'd be a distracted driver.

I really hope you can get an xpen & use it for him at your mom's. You could say it was your next birthday present if the approximately $40 cost is a problem. I got mine for about that, in Nov.

My traveling is only about 3-4 hours door-to-door, but part of that is by train, so weight is an issue, as I have to carry it & a bag of my own stuff onto the train & to my seat. I finally came up with a solution that I thought MAYBE you could adapt to make a small x-pen if he's not a climber. I got 6 cake cooling racks at a dollar store & used ties to fasten them into a cage, with one side left open & later fastened with clips when Honey's inside. The racks were rectangular, so I assembled them with 2 opposite sides sticking up, which can be used as handles. Of course I lined the bottom with cardboard [several layers] & hay and covered the cage with some burlap for privacy. My rabbit is small & isn't a climber, so I could see buying lots of the racks & making a pen out of them for her, but that may not work in your situation.

yea ill buy him an xpen before he gets here. i will not be driving my mom will but have visions of him jumping up and distracting my mom and us getting in a wreck. i will look into a harness and leash for him i havent used one but i will get one so when we stop we can let him get some excercise.

My rabbit went from a free range bunny to a cage bunny when I moved back into my parents as well. I was amazed at how well he really adjusted. I just started him on his new routine and he is still a very happy boy. SO don't worry I am sure your bun will adjust and be just fine
:biggrin:

ok he is up here and safe and running around my room. it was a long trip with a few stops to let him stretch his legs. he seems to like his new home. tomorrow i will do more extensive bunny proofing.

He should be perfectly fine for a 9-hour car ride. Just make sure you stop plenty and offer him water, and give him LOTS of hay to munch on and lay in during the trip. Hay will reduce stress.

I would not suggest stopping and actually letting him out on a harness & leash. Especially if he's not used to it. That is just an accident waiting to happen. You never know if someone's dog a few yards away will break free and come after your rabbit. He will be fine if his carrier allows him to move around and stretch out.

ETA: Oop! Didn't see that he was already at home! Glad the trip was good. :)

Emily

Back