Having litter pan issues...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

@licia

Reaction score
I adopted my Holland Lop girl, Marmalade, yesterday from her foster mom. Appearently she is very tidy with her litter habits and neverhas peedoutside her litter box at all - even when she was very sick and in the hospital cage. Since bringing her home, she has not usedher panonce. She has been leaving droppings all over her pen, and very minimal in her cage. We currently are using Cozy'n Fresh's natural pine bedding and pellets as a litter but for some reason she is not recognizing her new litter pan... the poor thing just does not know that it is to be used like the one she had before. I have started placing her in it every so often and when she poos, I put it all in the pan for her to see. I also have been sopping up the pee with a paper towel and leaving in in the pan. Both of these methods have not worked yet. So this morning I tried adding a little bit of timothy hay on top to see if that would work, and while she is making the mess closer to the pan, it still is not IN the pan. Now, I do understand that I have just brought her home... so could this just simply be her marking her territory? For now I am just taking it as that until she gets more settled into her new environment, but any additional thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

If I were you i'd let her be for now.
Its a new place, and she's just getting used to it.
Once she starts being more 'regular' check which corner she regulars.. then stick the pan there.
Sorry I cant be much help.. Babii took to it the minute I put it in her cage

:yeahthat: Sounds like your doing everything right. Your putting poo's and pee's in the litter box and putting hay in it. Just be patient. And clean up any pee ASAP and maybe use vinager and water to clean the cage. Good Luck. :)April

I have also already been doing what both of you have suggested, but thanks for the help anyway.

And good news, she FINALLY went in her pan! She only left a little bit of droppings, but it is a start! :woohoo

Long John High Slide Litter Panis the one we currently have for her. The one she had at her foster mom's was about double (if not, a little less) the size of the one she has now. Do you think that could be the problem? I must say, she is getting closer. At least now she is going right beside the pan.

I would try a cat litter box, thats what I use. It may help cause it's bigger to jump in to. :)

About an hour ago my mom had an idea (a genious one, might I add!),to use the bottom tray of a hamster cage from our previous hamster as a litter pan, and what do you know? She finally has started using the "litter pan"! ...I guess the other one was too small after all, oops!

Latest posts

Back