Having an issue with kits staying in the nest

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelissaPenguin

Reaction score
Has anyone else had this issue, and what did you do to help it?
My standard sized bunny had her kits outside her box, and we have had nothing but problems with keeping the kits in the nest. We've had this problem before and all the kits died. We're into day 3, and although this litter seems to be doing better than the last that was born outside the box, I don't think we're in the clear yet, since nearly everytime someone goes to check on them (several times a day) at least one or two, sometimes all 5 are outside the nest and have to be put back in.) We don't think that momma is taking them out, they're just crawling away...
We don't want to move the whole nest back into the box for fear that momma might ignore them then, but is that the best choice at this point?

i would reassess the height of your nest box. what breed is your bunny(or estimate weight) and what are the dimensions of your nest box?

Definitely pay attention to the height of the box sides, by standard size are you talking standard 4 class or 6 class? Standard 4 class I was told the rule of thumb is the minimum height of the box sides should be the same as the class so in the case of 4 class it would be 4" in the case of 6 class it would be 6". Momma should not be able to pull them out wit ha decent lip on the box and they should not be able to crawl out yet unless they are escaping from a hole in the bottom of the box.

That's the problem. She had them OUTSIDE the box. =( Her box is about a foot tall. I think she'd technically be a Class 4 but she's a mix and is at least 1.5 times the size of my Mini Rex buck and could be almost 2 times, especially when pregnant.

Once the kits are put into the box, they shouldn't be able to get out of the box themselves. There should be a couple inches space between the nesting material and the lower lip of the side the mom comes in, leaves from to prevent the babies from crawling out.

Kits will also sometimes get out by not letting go after nursing. Some premade nestboxes have an extra lip on the entrance that works to essentially scrape the kits off her belly as she hops out.

Also, the mom should only be getting into the nestbox about once a day to feed them. They keep each other warm, with help from the nesting material, and don't need her in with them.

The box itself should be barely big enough for her to fit in there, turn around tightly, and get back out, with the entrance lip as described (about 4" above the bottom of the cage for a doe under 8 lbs, 6" for larger rabbits).

We moved them into a shoe box and brought them in the house (our main cages are outside). We plan on taking them out to her in the morning and evenings as Misty suggested. :) These four seem to be doing just fine. They've started moving a bit more, and seem to be just healthy.

Latest posts

Back