Having a Hard Time Litter Training Anna

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keltickitty22

Reaction score
I am having anextremely hard time litter training Anna. At first Iattempted to train her by placing all her poo pellets in herlitter pan. That didn't work so I looked carefully at thecage to discover where she was going to the bathroom. I thenplaced the litter pan in that corner. It still isn'tworking....sometimes she uses the litter pan and sometimes shedoesn't.

I have tried placing hay in herlitter pan to encourage her. I have tried waiting til sheuses the litter pan to reward her with a treat. However mosttimes I can't tell if she is just sitting in the litter pan and usingit as her bathroom. Any advice?

Sounds like you are doing everythingright! Perhaps you could add another litter box in thecage. Is there room? I had the same problem with mygirl, Star. She used her litter box AND the space right nextto it. I added another box, and she used both boxes, thenjust as of recently, I took the second box out, and now she strictlyuses the one box. :? Silly wabbits!

How are you holding up, Dear? Is Anna loving her new home? :p

My rabbits were litter trained and then theystarted going right outside the litter box. I replaced thelitter box with a larger one and they are once again littertrained. I think that the smaller one was getting too smallso they would miss it. I don't know just a thought.

Charlie

I also had troubles with Tucker, Buster on the other hand, he trained himself...

I also just put the poops in the litter box, and for on it worked, forthe other, he will ONLY go in his cage. So it makes my life easier whenthey are running free.

I put Busters litter box in where he's runnig, and Tucks, I just leave the cage available to him!

Gosh thye're ALL so different aren't they?????

:monkey::monkey:

You might have a point there. Annadoesn't sleep in her wooden hideaway.....she is too attention grubbingto do that. So I might take that out of her cage and addanother litter pan.....thank you.

Anna is holding up pretty well. I take her out every morningbefore work and let her hang out on the couch with me and also do thatevery night. She is learning to come. I say AnnaCome! and hold out a treat. I am also teaching her Up whereshe rears up on her hind legs. I think it helps her bond withme a little bit better. She was pretty realxed lastnight. She rolled herself against the couch cushion and thengot into the "bunny chill" position. Front legs in front andhind quarters splayed to the side. The only thing thatworries me is that she gets the hiccups.

Yes they are all so different. Tobytrained himself but Anna insists on being a challenge. Shepoops and pees outside her cage too....it's a major problem.I noticed last night that she poops when I hold her in a certainposition. So I held her in that position and then watched herbum hole till the poops started to come. I then held her overher litter pan while she pooped.....placed her gently in the pan andthen crooned and stroked her while she pooped. I did that acouple more times til she got the idea. I then waited til shehad drank alot of water, held her in the position she hates and thenput her on the floor...she started to pee so I picked her up and puther in the litter pan and did some more stroking and cooing.I think she is getting the idea. She did not pee and only letout 1 or 2 poops when I was watching tv with her later on. Imade sure to give her treats and work on doing "Anna Come" so the bondwe are working on wouldn't be ruined by holding her in a position shedoesn't like. I think I am going to add another litter pan aswell. She still seems pretty happy with me. Sheperks up whenever she hears my voice and hops over to the part of thecage that I am closest to.

That sounds like it could be true too. She is still so tiny......only 6 weeks old.

Sounds like Anna is adjusting nicely. You are such a sweet baby wabbits mamma! ;)

Anna is young, isn't she? I had the sameproblems with my rabbit at that age. She knows what the litterbox isand what it's for but sometimes chooses to ignore it completely.:? Itwill hopefully get better with time and spaying. That's what helpedMocha.

oh...thank you......I am trying so hard to makeher as happy as she makes me. Having her around brings somuch joy to my life......so I am trying to do the same forher. my boyfriend actually told me he was jealous of the herthe other day. :)

Men!!! I told him that she was my baby and that he better learn to get over his jealousy and be a proper daddy to her!

Oh...ok that is a very valid pointtoo. That has crossed my mind. So should I justgive her the run of the house in the meantime or is that just going toconfuse the whole litter training issue? I know does aresupposed to be spayed from 5-8 months old. When exactly isthe correct age?

Keltickitty22 wrote:
Oh...ok that is a very valid point too. That hascrossed my mind. So should I just give her the run of thehouse in the meantime or is that just going to confuse the whole littertraining issue? I know does are supposed to be spayed from5-8 months old. When exactly is the correct age?

I waited till my girl was 5 and a half months. She weighedabout 3 pounds. Some vets will spay & neuter soonerif it is a big breed.

About the run of the house, I gave the buns free run when they werelitter training. We had a few accidents, which Iexpected. I just watched them like a hawk and when they peedor pooped outside of their box, I picked them up, and put them in thelitterbox. I think paitence and lots of love paidoff! They are pretty good little buns, however,Shorty DID have an accident in the hall by my brother's room lastnight. I don't think it was an accident. He did itwhile I was loving his sister. Guess he decided it was histurn for some attention. :foreheadsmack:

P.S. What kind of litter are you using?

I've been using Aspen Crumble Bedding.I like it better than the pellet litter. It is easier for thebunnies to dig in and it absorbs better. Plus it leaves anice almost spicy odor in the cage.

Anna actually has improved today. I was thinking that maybeshe gets overwhelmed and scared sometimes when she is out of hercage. So I made myself into a "safety base" giving her treatsand cuddling her when she hopped close to me. She only poopedoutside of her cage three times and did not urinate at all.She actually was hopping back into her cage to go to thebathroom. She seemed really happy today too....she was doingbunny binkies until she had to stretch out in exhaustion.

Back