Have you ever heard of this?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crimson

Reaction score
I bought a rabbit at convention and was having him transported back to my state. The transporter called me to tell me he died about 2 hours into the trip. They said they were driving and heard a bunny scream. When checking the bunnies they found mine looking like he was sleeping. He seemed to be breathing fine, but a little while later he died. His transport cage was large enough for him to move around and stretch out.

They have no clue what could have happened. Any ideas?

I am so sorry to hear that! I wish I knew how to help you-hopefully someone on the forum might have some idea as to what caused this. Perhaps he was ill or had a heart attack? That could account for the scream. How awful for the poor little bun and you :(

When we have transported animals from our shelter to another we have had 2 instances where guinea pigs expired. I know that it most likely was from stress.

When transporters(I do not mean transporters specifically for rabbits) take large numbers of carriers in a vehicleI believe that they sometimes they are intent on the destination and not as involved in whether the animal is being bounced about or shaken ; many of our transporters normally take dogs and cats and those animals handle it better.

this is just my opinion andI in no way wish to at all demean transporters for the wonderful job that they do, however, I do know that whenI take a rabbit in the car the carrier will ride on my lap to decrease any of the bouncing and knocking that normally occurs in a vehicle.

Riding in a car is very stressful for rabbits, and that's probably what caused him to die. I'm so sorry. It was probably a heart attack and shock. Car rides are so stressful that they are often used to get bunnies to bond--I am trying to bond a pair and in the bathtub they go at each other with fur flying and teeth out. In the back of a moving car, however, they have to lie down for stability and lean against each other for support.

Rabbits should be in small-ish carriers so that they don't move or get bounced about. They should be positioned with their bodies perpendicular to the direction of travel. This is so that the starts and stops of the car don't make the rabbit go flying facefirst into the front of the carrier or such. I have tried it both ways and they are much calmer in this position. I have also tried big carriers, and that's stressful. They should be able to stand on 4 legs in the carrier, lie down fully extended, and if there are 2 bunnies they should be able to lie next to each other. They shouldn't have a lot more room than that. It's also important to have something in the carrier that gives them traction. A bare plastic floor is not good. A towel or even better a best of hay is better. Travel is best done at night, or the cages should be covered to prevent sun from getting in them. Adequate air circulation and good temperature control is important. The carriers themselves shouldn't bounce around. Music in the car shouldn't be too loud, and the driver should be careful to avoid large bumps or changes in speed/direction.

Back