Have a home for Chex.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigger101

Reaction score
i am happy but sad :( I will miss her. The person getting her is for her grand-daughters 4-H project(not the meat category), if that doesn't work the person getting her is also a teacher so during the school year she will be home in the classroom(taken home on weekends and holidays). This person has had bunnies before and the last one lived for quit some time. I remember having a class pet and loved it. If you were good you got to either play with the pet or go outside and it taught you responsibility( my teacher would have a kid picked each day to take care of the pet ect..)There is not a date set yet(trying to work around both of our schedules) so I am going to enjoy the time I have with her as much as I can.

I'm new here so I don't know everyone very well yet. I hope I don't offend you and I don't mean to be a Debbie downer but I was always under the impression that rabbits do not thrive well as school pets?? I could be wrong so please correct me if I am, but I guess it depends on how old the kids are too, but young kids and rabbits sometimes don't mix.

In addition, rabbits really rely on routine and consistency so the constant change of a different home and people every weekend could be very stressful.

Again, please don't be offended or upset by me saying this. Maybe there is part of this story I don't know about, but just wanted to throw it out there as food for thought in case the school pet scenario hadn't been thought through.

Good luck and best to little Chex :)

Im glad she will be gettin a home.
And i have a busy household and my rabbits not jumpy or stressed. The amount of attention he would get woulf be ideal and if he gets enough excercise i see nothing wrong with a class pet. I have kids and rabbits and their fine together, you as an adult have to be responsible and guiee and educate.
I would say dogs are more dangerous to kids than rabbits too.

Chex is used to craziness and yes I did think this through. She needs a little more work but she is only about 9-10 weeks old :D I didnt ask what age group but she has had rabbits as class pet before so I am sure she knows what she is doing. She also knows if it doesn't work Chex can be returned to me.

I can see where Lisa is coming from regarding "school pets". Rabbits are unique and really are awesome animals to help learn patience, responsibility, and just plan TLC. But not all adults look at those lessons the same way. Too many part time hands for Chex, because the adults will have to supervise the child on those chosen weekends, with different ways of dealing with a bunny. And might not read or follow instructions which leads to Chex being naively neglected.

Hoping the 4-H adventure for Chex. Yes, children and rabbits can do very well together, but only with the Best Adult supervision. And definitely consistency is the key IMHO for a healthy, happy bunny.

Enjoy your time with Chex. Definitely a sweetie that needs to be cherished.

K:)

But not all adults look at those lessons the same way.

^^^^i agree. I have a 3 year old son and the supervision and instruction I have given him have been constant. I'm so protective over my son AND Agnes and the lessons I give my son on how to even be around Agnes are strict and constant and it's hard for me to imagine anyone being as enforced.

Glad this has been thought through. Again, I just want the best for Chex :)

I can definitely see where Lisa is coming from and would advise against a rabbit as a class pet if the teacher doesn't know about rabbits or isn't committed to the rabbit. That being said, I'm going to be a teacher and plan to have a bunny as a classroom pet. I've had rabbits since I was 10 years old and consider myself to be fairly knowledgeable about them. A lot of bunnies don't have the right personality to be a classroom pet, but I will pick a laid back one that can handle being around kids and trips in the car. My classroom bunny will be treated very well and there will be strict rules in place regarding the kids interaction with it. Bunny will not go home with kids over the weekend, he will come home with me either every night and the weekends, or just the weekends. So I do think it can be done well and hopefully Chex's new owner will take good care of her :)

I should also note that I know a kindergarten teacher here in town with a bunny as a class pet, he's actually one of my Kerensa's cousins. The teacher takes great care of him and the kiddos are wonderful with him! He's a very, very happy bunny and spends most of his day frolicking around the room :)

I can see lisa's point as well. It is all about the amount of attention a teacher is willing to give the animal aside from her students. Ideally people expect class pets to be hamsters, gerbils, fish, or some kind of small reptile. My brother is a 5th grade science teacher. His class pet is a five foot albino ball python. An extremely high maintenance animal requiring tons of handling and my brother does it all without skipping a beat. He takes his snake home on long weekends (I kid you not), over vacations, and during normal weeks he makes visits over the weekend to check on the snake. That is the kind of dedication that a teacher should provide a class pet requiring more attention and one that needs more maintenance.

I am a student working on my master in teaching and my class pet will be a bunny or guinea pig. If the teacher provides dedication towards the education of caring for animal then his/her students will grow up to learn some responsibility. Class pets can do wonders for students.

I hope to get my daughter's into 4-h and show bunnies. The responsibility and education they can gain from caring for an animal is priceless.

She has had a bunny as a class pet before. SHE brings the bunny home EVERY weekend/holiday and during summer break. I trust her and I have thought everything out.

Nancy used to take ours, 1 at a time to her classroom. Some of them ended up going home with the student and family too. Of course they all had to pass my screening so I knew they were going to a loving forever home as I really hated to part with all my rescued babies.

Trigger, I hope you aren't feeling attacked- I think at this point people are weighing in on their thoughts about classroom buns and not specifically talking about your situation :) I'm sure you made certain Chex is going to a good home!

I'm sorry if my opinion of hoping that Chex goes to the 4-H and not to be a teacher's pet has offended you. I've seen a lot of "good intentions" fail and it's never been good for the animal. Good to hear Chex will not be the "weekend" responsibility but just a teacher's tool to show and interact with a rabbit. Since she's been successful before, hoping Chex will enjoy being class pet.

BTW, never ever thought you didn't think it through. Just my opinion that I think bunnies in classrooms are a bit stressful life to live. Still have my doubts, but that's just me. Wishing Chex a lovely life. She's a sweetie and deserves it.

K:)

i was feeling a little like I was being attacked. but it is teenage hormones,I guess. I will be wanting updates and pics of Chex when she takes him. I thought I would add if this home falls through for some reason I will be keeping Chex.

Back