Has this ever happened to one of you?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skybunny11

Reaction score
I will say this was about a year ago. Most pet rabbits we sell we get updates and people bring them back for a day or so for us to babysit. We sell to some really nice people. A year ago we sold a baby mini rex, I loved him so much (He was one of sky's brothers). Anyway, the man we gave him to was nice and adored him. A week later he came back with the bunny. The rabbit had a deep to-the-bone cut. It was laying down and could not get up. Here is what happened we speculate, the man said he found the bunny caught on some wire on the cage that the man did not notice. So the rabbit was caught on the cage and thrashed so much it broke it's back. It was obvious the back was broken. I felt so bad for the bunny and the man. The bunny died the night after:tears2:. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

A rabbit's skeletal system is about 7% of it's body mass (cats and dogs are about twice that) with very strong muscles. If something happens in which a rabbit kicks it's hind legs unopposed (such as being stuck in something or being picked up incorrectly) it can lead to severe spinal trauma including severing of the spinal cord. This injury is usually found at L7 in the trans-lumbar region of the spine. It will cause hind quarter paralysis and it will cause the loss of control of the bladder and bowels. It is a common injury. Successful treatment depends on the severity of the injury to the spinal cord.....but prognosis in these injuries is poor.

Randy

No it did not ever happen to me butI guess that it seems understandable in an animal like a rabbit which is the pointRandy,I believe, was making .

Do you believe this person is not telling you the real story?

whatever..

it is a really sad incident and I wonder why he would bring the rabbit back rather than to seek immediate medical care for him. :?

I agree with angieluv. It certainly is possible that his happened and caused his death. The man's decision to take the bunny to you, and not a vet, was strange, since his only hope would have been in immediate vet care that wouldn't be very certain to help in any case.

Skybunny11 wrote:
I will say this was about a year ago. Most pet rabbits we sell we get updates and people bring them back for a day or so for us to babysit. We sell to some really nice people. A year ago we sold a baby mini rex, I loved him so much (He was one of sky's brothers). Anyway, the man we gave him to was nice and adored him. A week later he came back with the bunny. The rabbit had a deep to-the-bone cut. It was laying down and could not get up. Here is what happened we speculate, the man said he found the bunny caught on some wire on the cage that the man did not notice. So the rabbit was caught on the cage and thrashed so much it broke it's back. It was obvious the back was broken. I felt so bad for the bunny and the man. The bunny died the night after:tears2:. Has this ever happened to anyone else?
i think i had this nightmare,,though this has never happened to me/.as i opened my doors-in 2003,for disguarded/injured/animals-//-as the population grew,,..i thought i might find good homes for the critters//.but even though people desire an animal does not mean they know how to care for it,,so i care for them all myself,,and it has been quite the education-creating a special facility just for the rabbits and pigeons-and they are still trying to teach this old dog new stuff.//. i find this this thread deeply disturbing--all one can do is screen the dickens out of people/without trying to insult them..//.i have heard people say (well it is only a rabbit)--wrong people to get one i figure.....sincerely james waller:wave::pink iris:rip little rex:inlove::pink iris:

Latest posts

Back