Has anyone used this cord cover?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy27

Task Force
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has used this cord cover or one like it that had a citrus smell to it. http://www.rabbitstop.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rs&Product_Code=CC101&Category_Code=2TrainingAids

I didn't read about it and didn't notice it had a citrus scent to it. It really stinks. I am using it in Chase's room and am worried the smell will really bother her. Today when I was coming down the stairs I could already smell it. Do you think the smell will bother her? It isn't really strong but is there.

I tried washing it but they are right the smell doesn't wipe off. I am hoping the smell will fade, really soon. Note to self to not just add something to the basket because it looks like what you need, read about it first.

Gosh, I am not sure. I hope someone that knows will hop on with some advise. I think, if it were me, I would try it out very briefly and see how she acts. It just might work, but the danger is the "ingredients". Can you list those on here for us? Just look the item up and the ingredients up in the mean time and let us know if you find anything out.;)

I think the smell was meant to bother her. ;)

It is a pet product so one must assume that it is pet safe. (Some rabbits just love supposed 'repellents', I'm sure that's been taken into consideration).

I doubt she'll be wanting to chew it regardless if it's hard plastic. I just get the covers from home hardware and/or electrical stores and slice them open with a box cutter. I've never had a rabbit enjoy chewing the hard clear ones. (They do like the curly black covers, though, but by the time they've gotten through the plastic, they've lost interest in the wire underneath -- or they can't reach it well enough to do damage).

sas :bunnydance:

I agree that the smell is to make her not want to chew it and I don't think she will, she can barely reach it. But it makes her whole room smell like citrus and the whole downstairs. I am worried the smell in her room will bother her. I think I will do what Pipp suggested and see what they have at the hardware store.

Keep in mind that the hard plastic ones I use don't have a slit down the center, and using the blade to cut the plastic isn't all that easy. If not done carefully, you can do serious damage to yourself!

Be careful!

Those plastic cord cover doesn't work in my house. I never had the scented one but I use the BX cable for my lamps. I take out the cables insideand insert my lamp wire it's definitely chew proof. Here's something I use.

http://www.seatekco.com/bx.htm

I've used the stuff that looks like giant flexible aquarium tubing. I got it at the hardware store, and used a box knife to cut a slit down the side.
Unfortunately, it was not sturdy enough to deter Amelia. She chewed through it, then took a few chunks out of the co-axial cable running through the living room. (The tv is on the wall opposite where the only cable hook-up is.)

We re-ran the cable along the ceiling the whole way, but in the future I will try to find the harder plastic ones.

I've found that rabbits are not deterred by that type of cord. I get the tougher wire coverings from Home Depot in the electrical area. They are the ridged, plastic tubing with the slit down the side. It works pretty well. They can chew through it, but it deters them better than the citrus stuff. It turns out that Toby loved chewing through that stuff (it was the right consistency or whatever). I hope that helps! :)

Pipp wrote:
Keep in mind that the hard plastic ones I use don't have a slit down the center, and using the blade to cut the plastic isn't all that easy. If not done carefully, you can do serious damage to yourself!

Be careful!

Yeah, like an idiot, I was cutting some tubing and stabbed myself with the exacto knife! I ended up w/ four stitches in my leg!

I use a brand you can pick up at your local autozone. They come in black and white and are made to cover exposed wires in trailers and such. They work great and are so cheap!

Thanks for all the ideas everyone. I am going to head out tomorrow and see what I can find. I never thought about hardware and auto stores.

I bought my cord covers at Ikea. They are the grey rigid plastic with a slit down the side. They work great and were only a few dollars

Latest posts

Back