Has anyone used injectable antibiotics

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myhairyrabbit

Reaction score
For the better part of the last three months, my bunny has been on antibiotics.Baytril and Chlorpalm.She gets a little better and then goes back to breathing hard.

It seems that the antibiotics are barely keeping up with the disease.

I would like to try Zithromax but I wonder if I should just go straight to injectables antibiotics.

Has anyone tried those ?

I am afraid that I'll just pay tons of money to get one more month of almost better...and then have to let her go.

I personally use the injectables much more than oral because it is so much easier on their tummies. Becky is back on antibiotics after an ER visit last night (I thought she was having seizures and not totally sure it is just an infection, but anyway) They sent us home with baytril pills, I have no idea how to PILL a rabbit. I have injectable baytril from when Cinderella was sick (she passed away, which is why she didn't use it). They are the same weight so I'm using the injectables. I called my vet this morning and she's good with the plan. The ER vet just didn't want to give me needles.

I think the injectables work better and are much easier on their GI so they keep eating. In my experience, the meds don't really cost that much different between the forms, just from drug to drug. The buns also fight less getting the injection.

Used injectibles with Benjamin before he passed. Just get someone to show you how to make a little tent or fold in the skin behind the neck so that you can inject it properly. My bunnies always did better on the injectibles, seem to fight the liquid, although liquid is a good alternative. Pills?? how do you get those into a rabbit.

I have no idea how to pill a rabbit. I was not impressed with the ER doctor, but sometimes when it is late you have to improvise. I almost wonder if she really had a stroke.

I have used injectable Pen G in combo with oral zithro very successfully.

I've used baytril injectable. Very easy to give. There's less of a fight vs oral medication.

I have to inject Duplocilin and IT DOES NOT WORK !!!

I am supposed to inject .5ml but everything jams up hard as concrete after 0.25ml.

Rabbitt is slowly turning into a sieve.

Any suggestions ?

I am litteraly painting my walls with the medicine trying to unjam everything ...

Darn it.

Yikes! I wonder why the syringe isn't working. I would stop and call the vet if they're open on Saturday. Or you could put more medicine in the syringe than you need, and only inject the correct amount and toss the rest if it's a problem with the syringe? Like if he needs .50 ml, fill the syringe to .75 and then stop injeting it when the level goes to .25 ml?

I hope you aren't injecting him, then pulling out the needle and filling it with meds, then sticking it back into him again. The needles are supposed to be 1 use only and you can introduce bacteria to the medicine and him by sticking it in again. My Rory got a skin infection from improper hygiene during an injection. The kicker is he got this at the VET'S office. You need to be careful. Skin infection on top of whatever your bun already has is no good. Good luck!!!

Oh and my Ned was on injectible Pen G for about 6 weeks when he had head tilt and I gave the weekly injections at home. We thankfully had no problems with it.

Thank you for the advice, I do plan to call the vet tomorrow.

I ALMOST refilled the syringe with the same needle but stoppped in time....

I even filled the syring with water and it took three tons pf pressure before it finally went through.

I'm not familiar with that drug. Does it need to stay refrigerated? Meds get thicker when they're cold and may require a larger needle to pull into the syringe. Once they're at room temp a smaller needle can be used to inject it. Procaine Pen G is like that. It kind of sounds like you have the wrong gauge needle for the med.

myhairyrabbit wrote:
I have to inject Duplocilin and IT DOES NOT WORK !!!

I am supposed to inject .5ml but everything jams up hard as concrete after 0.25ml.

Rabbitt is slowly turning into a sieve.

Any suggestions ?

I am litteraly painting my walls with the medicine trying to unjam everything ...

Darn it.
 I had to inject Duplocilin, we kept it in the fridge and you need to shake the vial really well prior to use. Only had problems with one syringe...

Latest posts

Back