Has anyone tried this method of treatment?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo B Bunny

Reaction score
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/sorehocks.html

I found this when I was looking at a few things for Bo. His little heals are pretty red even with some Neosporin on them for a few days. They have a tiny callus but then the redness.

We might have this listed somewhere but I thought I'd see if anyone has tried it. I think we need to get some really bright colored vetwrap!

I never saw this and it must be reputable because it was written by Dana Krempels of etherbun

Downside would be if the bandage was applied wrong ..but very very interesting :)

Well, vetwrap is stretchy so if you don't wrap too tight it would be very nice and comfy for them.

I have successfully used the method, except I used gauze under the vet wrap. As angiluv mentioned, there is a risk of wrapping too tight - extensive edema of the foot can result from the lack of circulation. It is very easy to get the vet wrap too tight - even if you are very careful and don't think you are wrapping tight. :(

Pam

Any suggestions on how to prevent doing that? I'd really love to treat Bo's hocks better. Both are still unbroken skin but they are inflamed and one is really red!

I think I'll get some Prep H tomorrow to start (that's safe, right? does it have to be covered?) and then go from there.

We had that cat that had to have little booties and vetwrap on her legs and we didn't have any trouble.......

I've put all sorts of soft blankets and stuff in his cage and he's still sore. :(

I think that the issues with the vet wrap is that it is placed in areas of the foot and leg joints that are continuously being moved in ways that we probably don't even know . The rabbit could be sitting in different positions that wouldcrease the vet wrap thus tightening it.
I think that you could try it and see what happens ..do it on a day that you will be around him all day.

Yeah. I think the whole cut out at the ankle and stuff is very important and will definitely do that when I try it.

So, Bo has little yellow leg warmers now! ;) I've been thinking of buying him a cd player with the soundtrack from FAME on it....

I kept thinking of this as I put the vetwrap on him:

fama3.jpg

Bo B Bunny wrote:
So, Bo has little yellow leg warmers now! ;) I've been thinking of buying him a cd player with the soundtrack from FAME on it....

I kept thinking of this as I put the vetwrap on him:

fama3.jpg
:roflmao: Bo in little leg warmers... I want pictures!

I hope it works though. Has he been good about not picking at them?

I remember having to do something like that for my mom's old dog. She would get sores on her elbow (doggy elbow - up near the body). We had to wrap it up like that with a pulled apart cotton-ball as padding. We also had to use that stuff for her paws (she would get infections). I liked that vet tape. It makes a funny noise while unrolling it :D.

It did help Bridget (the dog) with her sore elbows. They healed up pretty fast.

I don't have experience with buns and this, but that's what I know about doggies :biggrin2:

I plan to get photos today! He's been REALLY good. Now, that doesn't mean he's happy about them..... we got the worst flicking off we've ever had from him last night. (You know, Lexi just had to put him down as soon as they were done and see what he did!)

Honestly, tho, I think he knows it helps. I put a bit of Prep H on his sores and then I took some hair I brushed off him and Clover (ewwwww Clover hair! lol) and made the wads and then we wrapped them. I used a Qtip to apply the medicine which worked better than trying to use a finger for some reason.

He stretched out and rested on his upper level after having a bath. He did sort of nip at the vetwrap a couple of times but then he decided to leave them alone.

Food helped I think.

Typical man... bribe him with food! (Poor Bo!)

I am wondering if this could work with Casper-J, he ALWAYS has bald spots now, but he dosent have wire flooring or anything and nothing seems to work :?

Are his bald spots red and tender? Bo's are and I had to do something. What kind of floor is he on? I've heard that slick floors can be bad also. They are supposed to have different textures I hear.

Sorry, no pictures yet. However, I took one of his leg-warmers off last night (Lexi says they are bunny slippers! lol) and Bo was getting MAD! He didn't want it taken off! I think he believes he's got something really cool there! LOL!

His hock looked better, the swelling was down from the Prep H and it was less red.

SO, I decided not to try to gather more fur and cut a small piece of fleece from some I had, and wrapped it again - this time using Neosporin on the hock. I want to see how it does after a day or two wrapped that way.

Poor Bo, I'm using him as a guinea pig!

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Are his bald spots red and tender? Bo's are and I had to do something.  What kind of floor is he on? I've heard that slick floors can be bad also.  They are supposed to have different textures I hear.

He has a litter pan with a peice of "dipped" (its dipped in plastic to make it smoother, rather then bare metal) mesh grid over the top, a bath mat to sleep on and then bare plastic and then lino and blankets when he is out of his cage. But I have also used other things such as fleece, puppy pads, hay, straw, wood shavings, yesterdays news, newspaper, shredder paper and compressed straw bedding and it was still the same. It is red (kinda looks like a first degree burn) and where it is is bald, but the guard fur on the pad of the foor protects it. I might be able to get a pic later if the computer ever excepts it! :?

Sounds like he's got a good setup. I guess some are just more prone to them.

Bo LOVES his little legwarmers! I swear he does LOL

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Sounds like he's got a good setup.  I guess some are just more prone to them. 

Bo LOVES his little legwarmers! I swear he does LOL

:laughsmiley:

I have padded and bandaged CJ's hocks for now until I can get some vet wrap, it is quite stretchy aswell so he can pull it off should he want/need to, but it dosent slip off either. :) I was kind of suprised when I saw CJ's sore hocks because I had no idea how he could get them but there we go, stranger has happened!

We took the bandages off and his hocks look a bit better. Not as red, not as inflamed. The one I put neosporin on last night seems less inflamed but I can't tell for sure.

Now, we rewrapped them tonight and put fleece and neosporin on them. He managed to get one off immediately. Rewrapped it - he's playing and grooming them now...... :craziness

They don't seem to bother him much.... he just checks them out, tugs a bit and the one was just so loose he pulled it off. Otherwise, he grooms them and goes about his business.

Well, he found he can just tug on them and they slide off. *sigh* He has them on for part of the night then I guess gets bored and works at least one off. However, his hocks are looking about 50% better already! That's great ! So I think just keeping the bandage on him part of the time is helping.

Latest posts

Back