Has anyone had a rabbit not eat as much during bonding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flemish giant

Reaction score
So I am bonding Furgus and Furgie (spayed and neutered) and it is going absolutely terrific! No fights at all. Lots of bunny plopping and grooming. However, Furgus is always a really good eater. Like he will grunt if you don’t feed him quick enough lol, but today he has not seemed as interested in his food. He still has leftover food from this morning which never happens with him. Has anyone witnessed a rabbit not eating as much during bonding? Could they already be bonded and I’m stressing him out by taking her away from him (they’ve only had 3 dates)? Or could the process just be a little stressful which is keeping him from eating? Poops are normal by the way.

Usually if bonding is the cause of a decreased appetite it's because the rabbit is feeling stressed, which it doesn't sound like either of your rabbits are when they are together. But yes, separating them could be stressing him.

Honestly, if they are getting along well I think I would just keep them together and call them bonded, and just monitor them for the next 24 hours to make sure everything is ok. Some rabbits just bond more easily than others. I have a pair that was essentially love at first sight, and I was able to just put them together and keep them together from the start.

Just keep a close eye on his appetite and poop size. You definitely don't want it progressing into full blown GI stasis.

Usually if bonding is the cause of a decreased appetite it's because the rabbit is feeling stressed, which it doesn't sound like either of your rabbits are when they are together. But yes, separating them could be stressing him.

Honestly, if they are getting along well I think I would just keep them together and call them bonded, and just monitor them for the next 24 hours to make sure everything is ok. Some rabbits just bond more easily than others. I have a pair that was essentially love at first sight, and I was able to just put them together and keep them together from the start.

Just keep a close eye on his appetite and poop size. You definitely don't want it progressing into full blown GI stasis.

There was a little circling during today’s hour long session so I don’t think I’ll leave them together quite yet. He ate his greens and is eating pretty good now so I’ll just keep an eye on him.

Yea stasis is like my biggest fear. I work at an exotic vet and we see so many die because their owners wait too long.

Latest posts

Back