Has anyone grown wheatgrass for their rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yulipo

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Just started hanging out here last night and was up reading various threads until 4am!

Anyway, I wanted to know if anyone here has grown wheatgrass for theirrabbits. I've seen kits like this one(http://www.rabbitcentral.com/by-03680.html)onvarious websites and I wonder if people have had goodresults with them. I don't feel that my bunnies are lackingnutritionally (they get timothy hay and sometimes orchard grass, Oxbowpellets, and green vegetables) but I want to treat them to new things,and I thought it would be fun for them to have little patches of livingwheatgrass all around my room so they can nibble to their heart'scontent.

What do you think? Are the kits worth the $3-$4? Are wheatgrass plantsrelatively easy to take care of? If my bunnies mow them down, do theplants grow back fairly quickly?

The pet stores here sell oat grass for cats inlittle plastic flats for $1, and they also sell seeds to grow yourown. Not sure you need the cute little cup with the pics,which is probably what you're paying for. ;)

any kind of kit like this is going to beextremely overpriced. the least expensive way to go is tojust buy each of the ingredients individually. Looking onlineI've seen wheatgrass seeds going for $1.29 a pound (that's a lot ofseeds) and you can get cheap pots and soil from stores like Lowes, HomeDepot, Walmart, etc.

I imagine the kits only have enough seeds to fill their tiny little pots.

hey! that is an idea! i had thought about buyingthem wheatgrass cup, it is cheaper in long run to buy ea stuffindividually, i just may do that after i move into my new apt.

can rabbits eat green cabbage?? i got half a cabbage in the fridge going to waste

do i need to peel carrots?

you know, i assumed that Boogie just looks bigger than Pepper cause ofall them hairs, but i was holding him the other day and realized thathe is bigger than Pepper, almost by half size bigger

so i guess, she will be too small to breed to Boogie in the future when they get old enough

I once bought a japanese brand wheatgrass kitand grew the grasses for my rabbit.One grass kit contains two packet ofseeds. It is easy to growbut as the amt grown is very little,my bun ate all of it in a day. A few days of growing n taking care ofbutless than a min, its all ate up.Notworth. From wat i neo about wheat grass, u cannot cut it beyond acertain length if not, it will not regrow. n there's a limit to thenumber of cuts u can cut. Lets say, exampleu can only cut itthree times, after tat u have to use new seeds to grow. So usually, ipurchase a packet of wheat grass from the supermarket n can last me oneweek.

You could have some fun with it and grow it on aChia head or something like that. The bunny could just eatoff of it. Or you could just grow some in the bottom of abrownie pan or something similar. It's basically a weed; aslong as it has water and a decent light source it's unstoppable.

Latest posts

Back