Has anyone else gone through this?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnylicked

Reaction score
A little background: Last September, shortly after we got Ms. Rabbit, I noticed some lumps on Mr. Bunny's chin. He was also much sleepier than normal, and he didn't seem to have his regular appetite.

I immediately got him to a good rabbit vet. He examined Mr. Bunny and checked his teeth, and eventually diagnosed him with a salivary gland infection. The vet said that he'd try some antibiotics first, but if those weren't effective, he'd go ahead and remove the salivary glands. He prescribed 14 days of Trimethoprim Sulfa. When that wasn't effective, he prescribed 14 more days of the Sulfa.

After a few weeks of Mr. Bunny being off the antibiotic, his masses were bigger than ever, and his appetite and energy were going way down again. I called the vet, and he said that he'd be willing to try Penicillin injections. So, about 2.5 weeks ago, I started giving Mr. Bunny every-other-day Penicillin shots.

At first, it seemed to work - Mr. Bunny got his appetite back, and he had more energy than he'd had for over 2 months. The masses shrunk and almost disappeared. Unfortunately, after a few days, his energy level went back down slightly, and the masses went back to their original size. That's been going on ever since - the masses will randomly almost disappear (and he'll get his energy back), but then they'll suddenly go back to their original size after a day or two.

I'm obviously very frustrated, and worried that he'll just have to have the surgery to have the glands removed. :( Has anyone here had a bunny with something like this? If so, did he/she eventually get better? What did you do, as far as treatments go?

(Also, if it helps, Mr. Bunny is a 3-year-old, neutered REW. He's had no other major health problems except for Sebaceous Adenitis, which he's mostly recovered from.)

I never heard of infected salivary glands in rabbit but that doesn't mean that they don't exist; I am not a vet

When you described the problem it makes me wonder :confused2:whether your rabbit has abscesses.

Abscesses are succesfully treated with bicillin injections, however 2.5 weeks of treatment is not a long enough course of treatment andI do not know if you are even giivng bicillin or what dosage :?

is the vet sure of the diagnosis

here is thae landmark article on bicillin injections

http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~jwmoore/bicillin/bicillin.htm

let us know

Afterthought :
if they are abscesses then oftentimes 2 antibiotics are given simultaneously...
bicillin injections in addition to a strong oral med like azithromycin/Zithromax

I second angieluv on both accounts. Could his bonded partner have bitten him about the face, maybe in a fight or over-grooming him?

He is currently being given what I'm pretty sure is Bicillin. I'm sorry, maybe I didn't say it very clearly. He was prescribed 30 days of Penicillin, not 2.5 weeks of it.

The vet isn't entirely sure of the diagnosis - he said it's impossible for him to be certain without removing the masses from Mr. Bunny. I trust him, though - he's one of the vets that all the rabbit shelters in Colorado recommend.

His problem started before he was ever put near the other bunny.

I moved Mr. Bunny into a new room yesterday. His old (temporary) room had a concrete floor, and the dust was irritating his skin, so I moved him into a carpeted room. It's really weird...within hours of moving him into the new room, the masses on his chin suddenly almost went away. They've continued shrinking today, and now I can't even feel any on the right side of his chin. I have no idea why they started shrinking, or if the new room is helping, but I'm hoping that they'll continue shrinking.

I have a friend who had the exact same problem with her Netherland Dwarf and, if I remember right, it was cured with a small dose of Advil (or maybe Tylenol?). Might be something to ask your vet about, I forget exactly what med and what the dosage was that she gave.

Sorry, that doesn't help much! But maybe its some kind of lead..

That is interesting and it's hard for me to say whether the vet is right that it's infected salivary glands or not--I just haven't heard of it and abscesses are so much more common.

However, I need to quip in that you should never give a rabbit Tylenol (acetaminophen). It is toxic to bunnies. Advil (ibuprofen) is ok, and it acts somewhat as a blood thinner, so that might be one mechanism of action.

Is Tylenol really toxic? I was told to give one of my rabbits tylenol for what we might have thought was an injury(turned out not to be) but it was the childrens liquid tylenol. 1cc per 100mls of water. Gave it for two weeks she never acted like it bothered her?

Latest posts

Back