Has anybody's rabbit ever had a hairine fracture?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistyjr

Reaction score
Has anybodies bun's ever had a hairline fracture of tibia?
How you deal with it?
How long did it take to heal?
What you do?

Thanks, Misty:bunnydance:

Whiskers had a hairline fracture in his foot. It took about 4 weeks to heal, with a cast for about a week. That was all that the poor little guy could handle. The top of the cast irritated his skin too much to keep it on any longer. After the cast came off, we kept him in his cage, and took his shelf out so that he wouldn't jump up and aggravate the injury. We gave him Metacam regularly at the beginning, when he was obviously uncomfortable, then tapered off as he healed. I think we had two return visits...one to take off the cast, and another to take another x-ray to make sure that he had healed. Good luck!

Dana Krempels is a reliable soure re. rabbit care. I would ask your vet why she either is not able to splint the fracture and/ or has decided not.to. Possibly she doesn't know how to do it. Try to find out...

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Rabbits-703/Rabbit-leg-injury.htm

I had a hairline fracture in my elbow which fractured close to a nerve. Before it was casted I was in terrible pain. It took 6 weeks in a cast for it to heal
and LOL
I am not a rabbit :)

I haven't but I have treated some for vets. Hairlines are most of the time a type of fracture called an oblique. It comes from a twisting pressure that torques the bone. I do not generally "hard cast" fractures in rabbits. I usually use some type of splinting usually with a hard (but padded) plastic covered in vet wrap. Initially they should be on a narcotic (or narcotic like) drug along with Metacam to reduce swelling. The wrap should be snug but not tight enough to affect circulation. Monitor the toes to make sure they stay warm thru circulation. Depending on the severity of the fracture, anywhere from 2-4 weeks. It also helps to provide some extra calcium and Vitamin D (either thru supplements or by exposure to direct unfiltered sunlight). This type of fracture is usually an indication of soft bones....part of Metabolic Bone Disease.

Randy

angieluv wrote:
Dana Krempels is a reliable soure re. rabbit care. I would ask your vet why she either is not able to splint the fracture and/ or has decided not.to. Possibly she doesn't know how to do it. Try to find out...

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Rabbits-703/Rabbit-leg-injury.htm

I had a hairline fracture in my elbow which fractured close to a nerve. Before it was casted I was in terrible pain. It took 6 weeks in a cast for it to heal
and LOL
I am not a rabbit :)
The vet said because he is too little to put an splint on him... Hes only 6 weeka old and 1 pounds

Not trying to be rude....but if your vet said that, maybe he/she should reconsider their profession. I am not even a vet but I splint baby cottontails, squirrels and opossums all the time. Splinting is not rocket science. We routinely splint limbs of animals that weigh only a couple of ounces. We just splinted a baby squirrel that had fractured it'sradius and ulna in both arms.....fracture was probably due to a mouse trap since they were "mirror" fractures.....and these were open fractures. Splinted both arms....and now, some 4 weeks later, that squirrel will be released as soon as weather permits. We splint a lot of rear legs in rabbits. I would find a vet that knows how to do this. If nothing else, find a wildlife rehabber. Most advanced rehabbers are quite skilled at splinting fractures.

Randy

Latest posts

Back