Has anybody flown with their bunny in-cabin?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babybun

Reaction score
I'm taking a trip with Winston, and have decided to fly him in-cabin with me. The thought of him all alone in the cargo hold terrifies me! I've already contacted the airline and reserved a spot for him, and he'll be going under the seat in front of me. Question is, I can't find ANY information on whether or not I will be needing any paperwork for him! What should I expect from the moment I check in at the airport to the moment I get off the plane? Any tips from those of you that have gone through this?

Some airlines might require a health certificate from a vet within 10 days of travel, but not all will.

Most airports don't allow pets outside of a carrier, so make sure he is secured. You should keep him up off the ground as there can be dogs and who knows what wandering around.

When you check in, make sure he is included and they know he is there. When you go through security, you will need to take him out of the carrier and go through carrying him while the carrier goes through the scanner. Getting on to the plane should be fine, but you may want to see if you can pre board to get him comfortable. When getting off the plane, wait until most of the others have gotten off so it is less crowded.

Make sure the carrier you use will fit under the seat. Most hard sided ones will not, so you either need one specifically for under the seat or a soft carrier. Put a towel inside and a small handful of hay (you could put the hay in a cardboard tube to keep the mess down). A dish for water is a good idea, but don't give him any until you get through security. Water does tend to spill, so you might want to just give wet veggies during the flight, especially if it is short. You can give pellets as well. Bring some hay with you so you can give more once you land.

If you won't have something set up where you are staying, bring something with you to give him some more space. There are some fold up pet tents or even child tents you can get and they don't take up too much room. I would suggest taking it with you on the plane incase there is a delay and you want to let him out for a bit. Puppy pee pads can be used as they don't take up much space and you can throw them out when they are used.

Find a source for pellets, hay and veggies when you get there. If the trip is short, you should be able to take enough pellets with you, but hay is bulky and veggies go bad. You may want to bring your own bedding and a litter box, but some dollar stores carry suitable items. Take litter with you unless he will just use newspaper, a big bag of litter will be hard to take back with you.

Thanks Korr and Sophie!

I was also wondering about a water bowl, so the advice about the veggies is really appreciated! I have a Sherpa/Delta Airlines soft carrier, so I shouldn't have a problem there. It was a Sherpa liner at the bottom, but I'm planning on throwing his favorite towel in there with him. Winston loves to tear up puppy pee pads, but I'm thinking of taking some along just in case.

As for bunny supplies, I buy most of his food and supplies online, so I was thinking of having it shipped to where I'll be staying a day or two before I get there.

Thanks for the detailed information! It makes me feel a little better having an idea of what to expect!

Domestically, to be safe, I'd get a health certificate from the vet within 10 days of the flight. And definitely expect to check in like an hour earlier just in case something comes up. Some airlines have special requirements for how the animal is kept. For example, one airline I know (American I think?) requires that you have a water/food bowl that can be refilled without removing them from the cage, and another one requires that the animal + cage is under 20 pounds.

Internationally is another story

Well I haven't yet and don't intent to cause I book him into a nearest animal thing that will take him in for how ever long but you have to pay you could do that or just get a health certificate might be best and check that you can take it on that certain plane an yeah !

Sent from my iPod touch using Rabbit Forum

Here are the notes I took from the website http://rabbit.org/faq-vacations-and-travel/

o Bring:Water/food dishes, hay, newspaper, garbage bags, vinegar (for cleaning), paper towels, Pedialyte (often become dehydrated during travel), ice packs and towels to soak in cool water for heat stress, any medications

o Prepare for emergencies: Make a list of emergency instructions, phone numbers of who to call; Take the House Rabbit Handbook and other rabbit health info with you; contact HRRN for handouts on medical concerns which may also be helpful to veterinarians; Make sure you know of an experienced “exotics” vet (ask about numbers seen, ask about antibiotics (no amoxicillin/ampicillin), anesthetic (isoflurane is best), fasting for surgery (never)); Avoid emergency clinics

o Staying in hotels: Look for one which accepts pets; Ask for a room on the ground floor of motels in the back if you are unsure of pet policy; Keep him in his cage except for exercise in the bathroom; Hang the “Do Not Disturb” sign on the door at all times; It may be risky leaving him in the motel while sightseeing due to staff reaction and stress of being alone in an unfamiliar place

o Staying in other people’s homes: Explain his living conditions before the visit; Will they mind an indoor rabbit?; Space for exercising?; Are they allergic?; Be diligent about cleaning

o Car travel: Rabbits cannot tolerate heat (provide wet towels over cage with breeze and frozen water cartons to lie against if you have no air conditioning in hot weather; do not leave in car); Rabbits do not like drafts (carriers should be put where AC/heat doesn’t blow directly on them); Try to establish a routine (length of time in car each day, stopping time, feeding/exercise time); Don’t let carriers slide during sudden stops

oAir travel
- Only if absolutely necessary! Not for rabbits who are nervous, fear the vacuum cleaner, tremble in the car, are older, or have health problems. A 10hr car ride is better than a 2hr plane trip!
- Make reservations in advance
- Find out from the airline what type of carrier you need. Under-seat carriers cannot be more that 8”x17”x12”. Type with top-opening door allows better access. Line the carrier with paper towels, newspaper, or hay. Don’t take out during flight!!
- Take food pellets, hay, and water in carry-on bag to offer at all layovers
- Also take medicine (Laxatone or Petromalt for hairballs/swallowing carpet, etc; Acidophilus from health food store to combat stomach upset; Prozyme enzyme powder from rabbit supply catalogs or vet (keeps stomach flora functioning); Pedialyte for dehydration (very common during travel)
- Take Medical supplies (Eye-droppers or syringes for feeding, etc.)
- Take health certificate and info about procedures at customs if needed
- Prepare for emergencies (see above)
- Accustom him to travel. Take him in his carrier on car rides at least one month prior. Work up to rides of an hour or more, if possible
- ABSOLUTELY NEVER IN THE CARGO HOLD WITH LUGGAGE

Also, here is a list of airlines that allow rabbits:
http://rabbit.org/to-fly-or-not-to-fly/

Latest posts

Back