Harrys got a sore foot!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinac

Reaction score
WHen i brought harry in for a run around this morning i noticed he is not using one of his back paws. I have had a look at it but it isnt swollen or anything so i have no idea what has caused it, could it be a bee sting or something? Will he need a trip to the vet or should i just see how it goes? he is still moving around fine just not using that foot as much

First of all, what kind of rabbit is he? Rexes are prone to sore hocks on their back feet mostly. Secondly, how old and what kind of hutch, run does he have?

If it is a sore hock, they are easily treatable, you just have to keep most rabbits off wire or hard surfaces, and sometimes, carpet, as this can make sore hocks worse. Do you any pics? A description of the wound would be good too!

Poor Harry! Have you checked his nails? Could he have snagged one on something?

Also check his hocks (the long bit between the toes and the 'knee',they walk on that bit) to see if he has any sores under the fur.

there arent any wounds. He lives in ahutch outside that has a wire floor on the outside bit but it is large wire and he has lived in it for weeks with no problems, i looked at all his nails and they looked fine, i will see if i can have another look and see if anything is stuck between his toes. Snuffles he is a mini lop X

He might have just caught it on something and bent it a bit, maybe just a twisted ankle like us humans can get perhaps?

He might have jumped or binkied in his hutch and landed funny or kicked the side of the hutch.

I have just had another really good look and feel with him on his back and he was fine with me extending his foot etc, he was SO relaxed he looked like he was sleeping LOL. I did notice that he was keeping the toes sort of curled up and held together but he didnt seem worried with me squeezing it and feeling between the toes,i think he was enjoying being on his back too much

Also, you said the bottom of the cage is large wire, could he have gotten his foot stuck in there? Also, if its wire bottom I suggest you have a resting board or area where he can rest his feet.

I hope all is well. Let us know how his vet visit goes.

this is his cage so he has the nest box to rest in

Picture081.jpg

Is that wire thin like chicken wire? If it is,that stuff is sharp (not to mention easy for bunnies to chew through).I would suggest buying something more firm and covering it if it is like chicken wire.

Im glad he has a resting area though :)

He is using his foot now but still occasionally will not put all his weight on it. I have takne him out of his outdoor cage and he is inside now so i can keep a closer eye on him, i thinking he might have just got his foot caught on the wire in his cage or something

Thanks for asking, He still occasionally limps on it so im not sure what the problem maight be, but i cant afford a vet trip atm as my cat has just been in for eye surgery:( I see from your avatar u have a dutch, i got awee girl bluebell last weekend, she is the lovliest rabbit!

Poor guy :(Im not sure what else you could do besides keeping him as immobile as possible, make sure he cant jump up on things, etc.

I love dutches, I have two-a chocolate and a blue tort. They are the best :)

He is inside in a pretty small cage and get out to run for a littel while most days cos i feel mean leaving him in the cage all the time!

This is blubell
37273505_full.jpg

i have never owned any other rabbits than mini lops, well apart from my JW i got recently and i cant believe how laid back she is! But i think it was also to do with her upbringing,the lady i got her from loves her rabbits to pieces so she is very well socialized, she is about 9-10 weeks now :)

Oooh, Blues are gorgeous!

I know it varies from bunny to bunny, but my dutches are both also very laid back. They are both snuggle bunnies, very loving and gentle.

Latest posts

Back