Harold is Having Trouble Again

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EEEM

Reaction score
Many of you may remember one of the first weeksI was on the forum my little blue eyed harlequin mix, Harold, startedhaving seizures. In the first spell we saw him have two seizures, butall in all he seemed fairly unaffected and the vet said there wasn'tmuch we could do at this point.

Last night I went down to the basement room that is now the dedicatedbunny room to see how Harold and Judy were doing and spend my nighttimecuddle time with them. I walked down to see the floor covered in pooppellets. They're both very immaculate with their litter box habits sothis was really odd. And there weren't even just a few here and therethat might've gotten kicked out of the box, they were EVERYWHERE. andnot in little clumps, but spread out across the entire room... And it'sa big room.

Judy came bounding up to me as usual, but Harold was out of sight. Thisis normal since Harold is deaf he has to catch sight of me before he'llapproach. So I went to find him behind one of his many favorite boxesand tubes. I did find him in a corner with his legs splayed and hishead turned up at a weird angle looking fairly frightened. He was justvery still. I immediately picked him up, and he didn't kick or strugglewhich is strange for him. He relaxed his head a little and wentslightly limp in my hands. i decided to confine them to their cage forthe rest of the night and keep a close eye on him. once he was in thecage he seemed to calm down. He hopped around a bit, drank some water,ate some hay. He still looked disoriented, but he was eating anddrinking and the poop, though spread all over the floor, looked normal.

But this morning I came in to find Harold cowered in the corner of hiscage. Even as I approached him he didn't budge. I decided to leave himbe momentarily and fill the water bottle, food bowl, get hay and freshlitter... All the morning routine. Once all that was done and Judy waschowing down, Harold still hadn't moved. I reached my hand down, makingsure to pass it by his face so he could see me, but when I touched himhe was very startled and started to hop about the cage. He bumped intoeverything. He spilled the bowl of greens, bumped into the litter box,the walls... It was as if he couldn't see anything. I held him for amoment and then put him down with his nose right in the food bowl andhe began to eat.

Basically I'm worried that he's been seizuring again and now possiblymay be going blind. When I took him to the vet for his first round ofseizures she said that sometimes Blue-eyed whites are prone to geneticdisorders, including those that cause seizures and sometimes blindness.She didn't know if deafness was linked. She also said there wasn't alotshe could do for him other than make sure he was comfortable andgetting around ok. And so far that hasn't been a problem.

I didn't get to spend much time with him this morning trying to figureout what's happening because I was already late for work. I called thevet and she said I could bring him in this afternoon, so I should knowmore then.

If any of you have suggestions on what to do if he is going blind, Iwould really appreciate it. I know some of you have blind bunnies andthey're doing very well, so that's very encouraging. Anyone ever dealtwith a blind and deaf bun? I hope it doesn't come to that and perhapshe's just having another spell of seizures that are causing him to bedisoriented. Neither option is great, but I hope he doesn't havepermanent vision loss.

Please keep Harold in your thoughts. He and I would both really appreciate it.

Here's my sweet boy standing up for a treat:
gimme.jpg

Oh, EEEM. I'm so sorry to hear aboutHarold. He's such a sweetheart. I will definitelypray for him. Please let us know what the vet says.

Laura

Tsk, oh EEEM, I'm so sorry this ishappening. I don't have any advice to offer, but willcertainly be praying for you and Harold. Please keep usposted. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your littlemon.

:pray:

-Carolyn

My Prayers & thoughts will be with you& Harold, for more than today. I have 2 buns that areconsidered "blind". One has gloucoma that was never treated(by the time I got him, it was too late to do anything). Theother is a red-eyed NZ....his eye sight is getting progressively worseover time. I suspect that his hearing is also going as I haveto touch him before he'll go to his bowl...before, he would come assoon as he heard me open his cage door. Both, in their ownway, are so special. Both have adjusted to theirdisabilities...I never change where I place their food orwater. I know that the seizures are frightening him....I hopesomething can be done to allieviate them.((((Hugs))))) for you both, Charlotte

Sorry about yourbun , unfortunately withseizures blindness can settlein, there can be many causes asto the why , lack ofoxygento hisBrainrobbing the eyes of vital O2 tokeep the eyes healthy , during a seizurehe could have bumped his head causing aneye injury , damaging the optical nerve , theresjust so many things that could have gone bad .

With a blind rabbit theKey hereis to keep everythingthe same ,same place for litter box same place forfood and greens dish , same placefor water bottle , Very important Iam finding out Keep your routienthe same , do everything at thesame time or as close as possible , ifyou feed every morning at 6 besure to stick as close as possible, I am just learning how tohandle a blind rabbit there is a lotinvolved but the rewards are 100 fold ,.

Im sure as soon as Rose seesthe thread she will respond , She hasmore years of experience, where mineis only a few weeks , BUt inthem few weeks it has been veryenlightning to say the least .

My first thoughts were, "I need to get new foodbowls." Judy LOVE rearranging the cage. I need to getsomething heavy or attach them to the side of the cage. I shouldprobably also get a different litter box. Right now we're using abig plastic bin. If he can't see I don't know if he'll decide tojump all the way in. Judy digs, so the high walls are somethingwe need, but I could cut on side down and hope she doesn't make too biga mess. I hope maybe I just caught him when he was disorientedand when I go home at noon to check on him he'll be a little morecoherent. He seemed to have a short blind spell after one of hisseizures before, so it's possible that it's not permanent. Thanksfor the support and advice! I'll keep you updated as I know more.

Aww. EEM I'm sorry about your bun. Harold willbe in my thoughts and prayers. Lets just hope that it isn't permanentvision loss.

Take care now,

Katy

I am so sorry about Harold. Poor little guy hasbeen going through it, hasn't he? Rose (Rabbitgirl) has a rabbit -Pandemonium - that is both deaf and blind, and through Roses' care sheleads a happy life. Perhaps she will see this and offer advice

Jan

I don't have anything to offer to help, but I'mso glad Harold has you to take care of him. You sound likesuch a responsible bunny parent - if I remember correctly, y'all evenchanged homes and got this one w/ the place for a bunny room.

You & Harold will be in my prayers!

Peg

Oh EEEM, I am desperately praying thatHarold is ok. Me and the Zoo Crew will be sending nothing but goodthoughts and prayers for you and Harold. Kiss the little guy for mewhen you get a chance.

Tina

I hope he's ok. He is such a darlinglittle guy. Humans can also experience occipital seizuresthat cause temporary blindness. It'ssometimes aninherited condition, but can be related to a number of differentdiseases, so treatment varies.

External stimuli or any type of excitement can trigger a seizure, so a low light, cool, safe environment is best.

Links:

http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB/Proceedings/PR05000/PR00326.htm

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_seizure_disorder.html

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/seizure.htm

Pam

It sounds like he probably has some nuerologicalproblems. The question is if that is what it is, if he willget progressively worse or if it will be a periodic thing.How is his sense of smell, does he smell food? The vet willneed to determine what exactly is going on.

Ed

Poor guy. I'm so sorry,EEEM. I hope this is just a phase and it will get betteragain. Maybe you changed something without realizing it, andit set off the seizures?

I don't have any advice to share other than I agree changing waterdishes etc so he can't tip them over easily etc and I will keep you inmy thoughts, let us know what the vet said

Morning EEEM,

Just thinking about you and Harold and wondering what's going on.

How are you two?

-Carolyn

Harold is continuing to go down hill. Thevet confirmed my suspicions that his eyes are on the fritz. Shedoesn't see any actual eye damage, but his pupils don't respond tolight, so she thinks it's neurological, probably related to theseizures. She did take a blood sample and didn't find any toxinsor abnormalities that could give us a hint as to what's going on.He's less and less interested in his food and I haven't seen him drinktoday at all, which really worries me. He definitely seems tosmell the food, but gives a couple of half-hearted licks and then turnshis back. He even refused banana, his favorite. He doesn'tseem to be in pain, but he is still disoriented and fearful, sinceeverything I do surprises him. He does settle down after he knowsit's me, but is tense. He hasn't rediscovered the litter box yet,but I'm just dealing with that as we go. I don't mind cleaning upa little bunny poop. Judy seems confused and is more affectionatewith me than usual. I think she's worried about him too.I'll let you know more as I know more, but it's not looking good.The vet suggested keeping him comfortable, calm, and offering him allhis favorite foods throughout the day to try to get him to eat.Especially fruits with high water content so he'll get somefluids. She said we could even try a little pedialyte to see ifthe smell and flavor will entice him to drink, because that's the mostimportant at this point. Thanks for all of the good thoughts,prayers, and advice. I'll be taking him back to the vet onTuesday if he doesn't improve dramatically over the next twodays. So we'll just wait and see.

:bigtears: I was hoping for better news.
Why not try some NutriCal to help stimulate his appetite?

I'll pray very hard, EEEM.

Warmest Wishes,
-Carolyn

I would suggest trying to syringe feedhim..Corky was the same way about food when he was so sick. Its VERYimportant you keep his system moving. What I used was a mixof pellets that had sat in water and been mashed and baby foodcarrots...I'd mix it together and put it in a syringe and force feedhim with it. I would also get some water down him in the samemanner, he wasn't strong enough to fight me and seemed to realize I wastrying to help. At this point for you its worth a try...vet told me 12hours of no eating is not good, when you hit 24 its critical as once abunnys system shuts down its almost impossible to restart.I'm not trying to scare you here, just help. It was amazaingafter getting some of this down Corky how much better he seemed in justan hour or so....getting something in him made him want to get up andhop around etc.

Let us know how it goes, sending good thoughts and prayers both your ways!

Oh, poor little guy. Perhaps his not eating isbecause he is confused about why he can't see anymore. I am hoping andpraying that he starts eating and drinking soon. Come on , Harold, weare rooting for ya!- Jan

Latest posts

Back