Harnessing a Rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TweedBunny

Reaction score
Hope this isn't in the wrong spot :banghead... but...
Does anyone have any tips for training a rabbit to tolerate a harness?I tried to put one on Brody today (I didn't put a leash on, just the harness) and he flipped. :tantrum: He ran around kicking and tipping over trying to get the thing off. I felt so bad I took it off and apologized and smothered him with kisses. :bowI dont know if he's forgiven me yet. :cry2 But I want to train him so he can go places with us. Brody doesnt need one, he sticks around.
:thanks:for any help!

What sort of harness do you use? We had the "jacket type" for our first bunny, Hazel, and she absolutely hated it. I think it was just too restrictive. She fought it constantly, and tried to chew it off her. So we gave up on that one and bought one of the thin, string type ones, the kind they sell for both rabbits and cats. It does go both over the head and around the body, so it's quite safe. It's also completely adjustable, so any size rabbit can use it.
She took to that one almost immediately, and never has had a problem with a harness since.
camping4zl8.jpg
Our second bun, White Chocolate, never once complained about the sametype harness. The first time we put her in one and took her out in the garden, she ran around as if she'd worn a harness her whole life.
staredown2jm9.jpg
<brSo I'd say try a different harness if one type doesn't work, maybe another type will.

You could try a different type of harness, but do keep in mind that many rabbits will not tolerate harnesses.  And they can hurt themselves if they are too scared by them, or if they spook while they are wearing them. 
I tried several different harnesses with Mocha when she was younger,and she hated all of them.  The last time I tried, something happened and she got scared.  She ran so fast that she ripped the leash out of my hand and took off in a mad dash.  The leash got caught on her cage as she ran passed, knocked her on herside, and she started thrashing wildly and getting all tangled up until my hubby managed to pick her up and get herun tangled.  Then she didn't move at all for an hour and we were afraid she had broken her back.  We called the vet, but he was in surgery.  Thankfully she was okay, and had just been scared really badly.I am currently using a cat harness on Oberon, my New Zealand fosterboy, while I bond him with two of my other rabbits.  He doesn't like it but he puts up with it.  My four permanent rabbits (Mocha plus three others) are very uncomfortable with harnesses so I do not use them.<br>

Please do not force bunnies to wear harnesses. Its just plain cruel.
Rabbits are not born to wear such restrictive objects - remember they are originally wild animals! ;)
If your bunny does not like the harness then just throw it away,forcing them to wear it will just cause stress and unnecessary discomfort to them.

bunsterlove1969 wrote:
Please do not force bunnies to wear harnesses. Its just plain cruel.
Rabbits are not born to wear such restrictive objects - remember they are originally wild animals! ;)
If your bunny does not like the harness then just throw it away, forcing them to wear it will just cause stress and unnecessary discomfort to them.
A properly fitted harness is not cruel. If you used the same logic, when I put a collar on my puppy the first time, I should have taken it off and thrown it out. She cried and scratched, but the collar is good for her, as a harness is for bunnies. I suggest giving favorite treats when the harness is on, I did this for Merry and it worked well. Also, once they realize they get to go outside with the harness, they will enjoy it. I put their harnesses on for the first time outside in their pen. They were so distracted by being outside, they forgot their harness. Make sure the harness is loose enough, that two finger can fit, and that it is on the body correctly. A harness allows a rabbit to safely go outside, because it hugs most ofthe upper body, it is safer than a collar which may snap theneck. I always have my rabbits on harnesses outside, even in their pen (closely supervised). Gandalf was scared once, knocked over the pen and ran - he was easily caught because he was wearing a harness. Control over a rabbit outside is a good thing as they are no longer wild animals - they are pets and we are responsible for them and their safety.

Krissa wrote:
bunsterlove1969 wrote:
Please do not force bunnies to wear harnesses. Its just plain cruel. Rabbits are not born to wear such restrictive objects - remember they are originally wild animals! ;) If your bunny does not like the harness then just throw it away, forcing them to wear it will just cause stress and unnecessary discomfort to them.
A properly fitted harness is not cruel. If you used the same logic,when I put a collar on my puppy the first time, I should have taken it off and thrown it out. She cried and scratched, but the collar is good for her, as a harness is for bunnies. I suggest giving favorite treats when the harness is on, I did this for Merry and it worked well. Also, once they realize they get to go outside with the harness, they will enjoy it. I put their harnesses on for the first time outside in their pen. They were so distracted by being outside, they forgot their harness. Make sure the harness is loose enough, that two finger can fit, and that it is on the body correctly. A harness allows a rabbit to safely go outside, because it hugs most of the upper body, it is safer than a collar which may snap the neck. I always have my rabbits on harnesses outside, even in their pen (closely supervised). Gandalf was scared once, knocked overt he pen and ran - he was easily caught because he was wearing a harness. Control over a rabbit outside is a good thing as they are no longer wild animals - they are pets and we are responsible for them and their safety
There is no need to harness a rabbit - if they are in a safe and secure run then there should be no worry. Bunnies werent designed to wear harnesses, and i personally think it is cruel and unnecessary to force a bunny to wear one!

By the same token, cats and dogs should not wear harnesses either as neither were "designed" to wear one.;)

However, I think that if a rabbit is scared of harnesses, which is not unusual, you should not force them. Like I said, the only rabbit of mine I will put a harness on is my foster bun Oberon, and he'll tolerate just about anything. But he shows his irritation by grabbing the leash with his teeth and yanking it. I doubt I'll put a harness on him for pleasure.It's just necessary to control him more during bonding due to his fear and aggression with the girls.

I tried putting a harness on my bunny this morning to take him outside, and I think he thought it was a game. I hve a small animal harness, not the string one, and let it rest on his back for a minute before trying to secure it. Colby Jack was more interested in chewing it.

Where do you get the string harnesses? I haven't seen them in the pet stores I frequent.

naturestee wrote:
By the same token, cats and dogs should not wear harnesseseither as neither were "designed" to wear one.;)

However, I think that if a rabbit is scared of harnesses, which is notunusual, you should not force them. Like I said, the onlyrabbit of mine I will put a harness on is my foster bun Oberon, andhe'll tolerate just about anything. But he shows hisirritation by grabbing the leash with his teeth and yankingit. I doubt I'll put a harness on him for pleasure.It's just necessary to control him more during bonding due to his fearand aggression with the girls.

I wasnt aware cats and dogs wore harnesses? :shock:;)

bunsterlove1969 wrote:
naturestee wrote:
By thesame token, cats and dogs should not wear harnesses either as neitherwere "designed" to wear one.;)

However, I think that if a rabbit is scared of harnesses, which is notunusual, you should not force them. Like I said, the onlyrabbit of mine I will put a harness on is my foster bun Oberon, andhe'll tolerate just about anything. But he shows hisirritation by grabbing the leash with his teeth and yankingit. I doubt I'll put a harness on him for pleasure.It's just necessary to control him more during bonding due to his fearand aggression with the girls.

I guess it's true what they say - you learn something new every day..

http://www.fordogtrainers.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&amp;Category=203

http://www.nextag.com/cat-harness/search-html

HoneyPot wrote:
bunsterlove1969 wrote:
naturestee wrote:
By thesame token, cats and dogs should not wear harnesses either as neitherwere "designed" to wear one.;)

mmm...yes, hardly pratical are they! cats and dogs are domesticated animals.....rabbits are not quite the same are they!

Its still cruel to make rabbits wear harnesses

To each his own. I have heard of some rabbitsthat love it. They see the harness and get so happy because they knowits playtime.

My mom bought me this harness from Sweden.
025.png

When I first put it on her, she freaked out for like 30 seconds, thenshe was like whatever. If I put the leash on too she tried to chew it,but then again she chews everything. I haven't taken her outside in ityet though, it's been lost for a few months and resurfaced last week,so next week I can get it and try it outdoors! (if it still fits! Thispicture was from October)

I haven't tried the mesh jacket type, but I think she would chew it up in an instant.

Does anyone know if ferret harnesses are okay for bunnies? I saw areview online that someone had used it for their bunny, so my friendbought one. Do you think it will work?

I'm going to get one of those kitten H harnesses(like in your pic gwhoosh) for my buns. I don't have anenclosed backyard, so I will need to put them on a harness to let themout for a stroll.

I tried the jacket one on Cookie and he flipped out, although now helets us put it on him no problem, but because the one we got is notreally really adjustable, it's a bit unsafe for him because he can pullhalf his body out of it - so now we don't use that one.

_______
Nadia

Thanks you guys, I have some good input. I had tried a jacket harness, but I will try the lighter cord harness.

I don't think it's cruel for a rabbit to wear a harness AS LONG as youknow your bunny and can tell if they are really in distress, and youtake off the harness if they are being traumatized by it. Theres adifference in just being BUGGED by it (chewing, scratching, tugging) orbeing in distress (running into things, kicking, tipping over). So YES,it could be cruel DEPENDING ON HOW YOUR RABBIT REACTS TO IT. :colors:

True rabbits are wild animals, but they are domesticated enough to havebecome our pets haven't they? :bunnydance:It could be seen asa KINDNESS getting my rabbit used to a harness so he can go campingwith us, as long as it does not traumatize him.

Thanks y'all!

My rabbit would freak out if I couldn't buckle both clips at the same time, but then she was fine.

Coincidentally, my mom just sent my harness in the mail and I got ittoday! But since October, she's been spayed and even though it's beenover 2 months she still doesn't like me touching her tummy. So I gotthe neck strap on, but not the belly one and she got mad and ran aboutand grunted at me :( It makes me sad because I know if she'd let metouch her tummy and clip the buckle, she'd be fine with the harness andshe loves to explore so much I think she'd love outside :(

bunsterlove1969 wrote:
HoneyPot wrote:
bunsterlove1969 wrote:
naturestee wrote:

mmm...yes, hardly pratical are they! cats and dogs are domesticated animals.....rabbits are not quite the same are they!

Ofcourse rabbits are domesticated animals! They have beendomesticated since Roman times, and probably even before! ALL rabbitssold, bred, rescued, whatever, as pets nowadays are domesticated,descended from wild rabbits, yes, but that was long ago.... Just likecats and dogs.
And btw, it purely depends on the rabbits preference, not whether theyare "wild" or not... our Hazel IS a "wild" cottontail, rescued as ababy with a broken leg, but completely loving and "tame" now, and shedoesn't mind her harness at all! We take her on trips frequently, whenI worked in after-school care my husband would often bring her alongwhen he picked me up after work, the kids LOVEd to have her visit, sheseemed fine with it. She has been camping twice now, and did fine withthat too.

Hazel-Mom wrote:
bunsterlove1969 wrote:
HoneyPot wrote:
bunsterlove1969 wrote:
naturestee wrote:

Ofcourse rabbits are domesticated animals! They have beendomesticated since Roman times, and probably even before! ALL rabbitssold, bred, rescued, whatever, as pets nowadays are domesticated,descended from wild rabbits, yes, but that was long ago.... Just likecats and dogs.
And btw, it purely depends on the rabbits preference, not whether theyare "wild" or not... our Hazel IS a "wild" cottontail, rescued as ababy with a broken leg, but completely loving and "tame" now, and shedoesn't mind her harness at all! We take her on trips frequently, whenI worked in after-school care my husband would often bring her alongwhen he picked me up after work, the kids LOVEd to have her visit, sheseemed fine with it. She has been camping twice now, and did fine withthat too.

I guess it works differently in America then does it!?

Its cruel to force rabbits to wear harnesses.....end of. Put them in a run and let them hop about FREELY! as they prefer it.

Latest posts

Back