Harnesses for walksies? :)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DelightfulEccentricity

Reaction score
I was eyeballing the harnesses at work yesterday...I have a bun who bounces around all the time, and I think he'd like to go bounce around my yard (SUPERVISED OF COURSE!) but alas, the specifically-for-rabbits harnesses look...questionable at best. This guy is a big, strong fellow...and they attach with velcro. O.O

Would it be ok to just get a cat harness, in an H-style, for my bouncing boy? :)

I personally wouldn't use a harness on a bunny, it's just too dangerous. I've let my bunnies have outdoor time with a covered xpen, they really loved it.

I use an H-harness, as it's the safest. It doesn't put pressure on the neck like most other styles of harnesses do.
You have to remember, though, that walking a rabbit on a harness is nothing like walking a dog on a leash. You follow the rabbit, and give gentle tugs/pick up to re-direct the rabbit away from places you don't want it to go. You can't pull on the leash like you would with a dog though. and expect the rabbit to follow and listen. Eventually you might be able to train the rabbit to walk very efficiently on the leash and listen to commands such as left, right, stop, and forward.

Always make sure that when having your rabbit out on the harness, it's snug enough to stay on, but not too snug to stop movement. Don't walk around the block with them; stay in a safe area away from dogs that can get in and scare the rabbit.

Some rabbits will also never adjust to being in a harness and it will just be better to exercise them in a exercise pen. The key is to get the rabbit used to the harness first and then start with attaching the leash and letting the rabbit test it's boundaries - it doesn't tag much of a tug to get the rabbit to stop going the direction it's going, just be prepared for the rabbit to freak out a little bit. If that's the case, they may not entertain the idea of being 'walked' on the leash/harness. It will take a while for them to get used to the harness & leash.

Emily

OneTwoThree wrote:
I personally wouldn't use a harness on a bunny, it's just too dangerous. I've let my bunnies have outdoor time with a covered xpen, they really loved it.

When the situation is handled properly and the rabbit is taught not to fear the harness, I would disagree that they are dangerous persay. I have heard many horror stories, but I also bring my rabbits out for walks pretty often, as well as having harnesses on them for agility, and have never had a problem. As long as you are using it for it's intended purpose, which is merely a reassurance, and aren't yanking them around by it and you are keeping them calm, there should not be a problem. But again, it is something that comes to opinion and your rabbit in particular.

Do not get one with velcro, they simply are not as sturdy and the rabbits never seem to be as comfortable in them anyway. An H Style kitten harness is the way to go. It distributes the harness so it doesn't pull on the rabbit in the neck and overall, it's just a safer, sturdier design. Just make sure you get one with fairly strong clips.

Like it was mentioned above, make sure the harness is well adjusted so it isn't too tight or too loose, you should be fine :)

H harnesses are best. There are a few brands out there that make them for cats, you sort of just need to know where to look. I would check smaller pet supply stores a nd look in the cat section.
I find the vest harnesses restrict movement and can be uncomfortable for the rabbit. They are harder to get a good fit each time and the velcro can get covered in fur and not work anymore.

When fitting it, it should be loose enough that the rabbit can still breathe and move, but tight enough not to slip off or so they could get a foot caught in it. You should be able to get 2-3 fingers between the harness and the rabbit.

For a leash, a 4-6 foot one is good. Any shorter and your rabbit won't get to move much, any longer and it can get easily tangled. A light leash is better, a small dog or cat one will usually work. I would not use a retractable leash as they keep tention on the harness and can be dangerous if you were to drop it or the rabbit were to run quickly.

It is a good idea to get him used to the harness and leash before you try to take him outside. Some rabbits do take to it much faster than others, but some can freak out when you put it on. Start with it a bit looser than you would normally use and once he is ok with you can you adjust it more. Let him run around the house with it on before you take him outside. With the leash, start in a controlled area so he is safe if something happens.

Walking a rabbit ti different than a dog. You follow them around rather than them follow you. You do have to keep them safe from other animals, people and plants that could be dangerous. You can get them to turn around at a tug of the leash, if you need to. Never use your feet to direct them, if you need to bend down and use your hands.

We have a Checkered Giant that is 18 pounds. Last time I went to Petsmart they didn't have any big enough in the rabbit or cat section. Gonna have to take her back and see what they have in the canine section.

H style all the way. That's what Gus has. He took to the harness right from the start. Dunno if somebody else trained him to use it, or he's just that kind of bunny (I'm going with the latter. ;)).

We use a retractable leash, but we have it attached to a regular leash, so there's not a lot of tension on it, but we can let the leash out when he wants to run. He just about pulls your arms off otherwise, trying to keep up! :p

Like this:

35310_10150236084770506_779545505_13665868_1149247_n.jpg

Hope that helps!

Rue

Unsure how to reply without being confusing so I'm replying in parts, lol!

RE: Emily, I know, thank you. :) I've walked many cats, a few rats, and the occasional guinea pig, and know that animals other than dogs don't walk with you, you walk with them. And that the trick to getting them used to it is to introduce harness first. Did you know dogs are the same way? If you just slap a leash on the collar, they often freak out the first time too. Gradual adjustment periods are best. However, I actually wasn't asking for information on that, just on the harness...thank you for your harness advice though!

RE: Amanda, thank you, that's what I thought. :) Someone else assured me a little bunny can't break free of velcro, and I was like "Have you SEEN my big one?!" I would basically be following him around, letting him bop about and eat grass, but if he tried to bolt or something, I wouldn't want to lose him...especially with the kind of dogs the neighbors have. Thank you for your advice! :) I think I will get a harness tomorrow and let him meet it sometime soon. Hopefully he likes it! If not, one of my cats could use a new harness, as hers is looking rather shoddy. ;)

RE: Kate, thank you too, I love the pictures and videos of your jumping rabbits, and saw a few in H-style harnesses somewhere. Though again, I was more after harness info than walksies info...

RE: Larry. Whoa, that is one big bunny!!! :)

RE: Rue. That picture is adorable!!! :) Thanks for the advice, btw. :)

Yep, I always have used like the retractable leash and harness. I use a " walk n' vest" h-style for my bunnies.

Latest posts

Back