Harness Training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bo B Bunny

Reaction score
We got Tony a harness today. He didn't wig out or anything but did try to slide over things, behind things, and generally do anything to get it off.

I know to put it on him and leave it without the lead for a few minutes the first few times. Then, add time and treats and things. Keep a close eye on him and make sure he doesn't get a paw or mouth or anything in the neck or belly.

Anything else I should know or be aware of with getting him used to it?

Excuse any loose poos, Bo was playing first and had to make sure he flung poos everywhere..... he's been so bad! We also hooked that frontclasp over the velcroafter we knew he was ok in it.

TONYharness.jpg

TONYharnessbinky.jpg

Well I don't know much about harnesses but am thinking or getting one for my buns so will watch this thread for anyone who has some more advice.
:)

Sounds like you are doing just the right things though Bo B Bunny, Tony looks relaxed enough. Of course he will try get it off but he will accept it I suppose in time;)

Well, you sound like you guys are going just fine with your training. As long as he is comfortable and quiet in the harness, it should be alright to tighten it a bit more than it is on in the pictures. Though it seems like it's really tight, it isn't really, because you have to remember that rabbits have fur covering their skin, and it can be really thick at times, so it wouldn't hurt the rabbit at all. Rabbits can easily wiggle out of things, which can be both a good thing and a hazard in the case of an emergency. If a rabbit gets scared and jumps back, and tries to jump out of the harness, it's possible that they will get half out and get tangled. If the harness is tight enough, that shouldn't be possible. It should be close fitting, so it appears to be a little tight, but it is just on their fur.

Gradually tighten it until it is the right tightness. Don't just strap him up quickly, as he may begin to feel confined and restricted, and panic. Good job so far. :)

Rachel.

Thanks Rachel! My daughter was flipping out over it being snug. I told her oh, hon, we want to make sure he can't slip out or get his little feet caught or his jaw. I've had cats do the jaw thing with a collar.

We have a larger harness I got.... and he got a foot up in the neck so we'll put it up for a later time if he needs it.

These are so gentle for harnesses. I've always thought they looked nice, but they aren't too confining - just a little annoying it seems.

Thanks again! When we get through the first few sessions and want to try to add the lead - what suggestions do we have out there to keep from having him wig out or something?

Well, I recommend making sure that the first person to lead him on the harness is relatively agile, as a bad experience for a rabbit to be repeatedly jabbed with the leash. Your rabbit must seem a bit suspicious of you as you are following him around, so you might want to do this without a leash a few times beforehand, so that they aren't so bad the first time. Gently tug on the leash a few times when you have control of your rabbit, so that he gets used to the feel of it.

The harness is actually the hardest part, rather than the harness, because if you have a decent relationship with your rabbit, he should be fine with you being there after he gets used to it. Just keep all of your attention on him the first time, to make sure he doesn't run off.

Also, do not let go of the leash and allow it to drag along the ground behind the rabbit. It may seem like a good way to get them used to it, but rabbits can get it caught around their legs, or get severely scared by it.

Good luck!
Rachel.

We used to have the same type of harness, but soon stopped using it. Hazel didn't like it at all, it never seemed to fit right and is a pain adjusting.
We found a string-type harness that's very easy to adjust, and much less restrictive. She had no problems with that one at all. When we put one on White Chocolate the first time, she didn't even seem to notice it. She just ran around outside with it as if she'd done it all her life.

staredown2jm9.jpg

You can see what it looks like on Chocolate, Hazel's isn't even visible, it disapears in her fur.
But, like with all harnesses, it is important to keep a close eye on your bun while in the harness. You have to make sure it doesn't get tangled, or twisted around them, and you have to be able to keep up with them when they run. Well, that's what we have kids for :D.

camphoppetyhe3.jpg

Oh, and after running, be prepared for sudden stops, too! It's quite a workout going for walks with a bun :).

WONDERFUL! I'll tell my hubby the bunnies are for my cardio workout! I need one for each day of the week! LOL!

I've heard the string type harnesses aren't good - like they can be dangerous. I wonder if that was just all in someone's mind or something? They look nice.

Tony (I keep thinking Heidi *sigh* ) doesn't mind his so we'll see what happens.

Do you get funny looks when you go camping and take the bunnies? Is thatHazel? she seems to be having a great time!

Well, people say harnesses in general are dangerous, not just the string ones. We've just never had any problems with them, maybe we're just lucky that our buns don't seem to mind, or maybe they just trust us.
Some accidents have occured also with the jacket type harnes, not just the string ones. I think it all depends on how dilligent you are watching them (don't let the leash get tangled around them or other objects, don't let it get yanked, etc), how relaxed your bun is with the harness (NEVER try to force them if you notice they are scared or uncomfortable in it), and really just let the bun decide when they're "done". Sometimes they just don't want to go out for a walk, or they get spooked by an unusual sound, or loud noise, or anything.
And ofcourse it also depends on the temperament of your bun. Some buns are not going to accept a harness, no matter what you do, and it makes no sense forcing them.
Yes, that's Hazel, walking my youngest daughter :biggrin2:. That's when she was younger, and more agile. She's not running so much anymore now. I think she also protests being put outside in her harness now. She just finds a nice place, and sits down. As if to say "Fine, I won't move untill you bring me back inside, on my nice comfy carpet. I'm a HOUSEBUN now, mom!" :biggrin2:
She does play around more in the "tent playroom", she just doesn't like being walked.

We only take the buns camping to one spot (so far), because it's really private and we're alone there. It's some place my husband found, all "wild" camping, no developed camp ground, only what he and his brother developed themselves over 10 years or so. We haven't tried taking them anywhere else yet, because we don't want to risk them getting upset by dogs or kids etc.

Back