Harley hates being put back down!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harley'sMummy

Reaction score
Hi guys & gals & bunbuns!

My little girl Harley doesn't squirm or fidget when me or Danny (bunny daddy) pick her up but she really protests when she is put back down. We hold her as the information we've seen online tells us to but she still kicks out with her back feet quite hard.

What is the best way to hold a bunny when putting them back down on the floor/back in their cage/condo?

I don't want to stress her out and I wouldn't mind not being scratched so much.

Let her get down on her own if you can.

She struggles because she's not being supported well enough and wants to have her feet under her so she can escape.

Keep her feet under her at all times OR teach her that being supported on her belly is a good thing (while being held close to your body for support).

I do try to hold her feet, but she has some powerful kicks. I have a bad wrist so that might be why she isn't happy with the way I hold her. I might leave the setting down to Danny as she doesn't struggle so much when he does it.

I want to be able to do it, obviously, but don't want to stress her our while I try and get it right.

Danny has just shown me how he holds Harley when he puts her down and it is a little different from the way I do it so I will try it the way he does it and see how it goes.

Yup I was just gonna say what bad kelpie said....cover their eyes:) rabbits don't generally enjoyed being picked up so you may never get Harley to enjoy it completely.

I also would avoid putting her back in her cage or reaching in to get her out. Let the cage be floor level and let her come out on her own and usher her back with treats when she needs to go in. This helps build trust, let's them know you respect their space and also it's most common for rabbits to "freak out" a bit if you put them back in their cage.

Mine have all done this, something about being put down is scary. I FINALLY learned this with (my 5th rabbit) Basil: Cover their eyes! It's so simple, it's crazy. Keep them covered until their feet are touching the ground.

Is that where a third hand comes in useful? Can't see how I'm supposed to manage that otherwise, lol.

Well, I only have two hands and manage it just fine.

But I'll give an explanation if it somehow sounds so unclear.

Hold the bunny close to you with one arm, cover it's eyes with the other. Bend down, put bunny on the ground.

Bunny doesn't see the decent, therefore, doesn't feel the need to freak out, so cradling it with one arm is quite manageable.

Latest posts

Back