Hardish stomach but no other issues?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahrat

Reaction score
I’ll preface by saying that I have a vet appointment already set up for after the weekend— just seeing if anyone has any clues!

My girl is probably about 6-8 years old, I’ve had her for 4. She is a retired 4H rabbit (used to teach kids about rabbitry), I adopted her after the kid she was paired with quit the program. So I don’t have any idea on her health history before coming to me. She’s also unspayed.

She’s never had any big issues health wise with me. A couple months ago, her pee colour changed and seemed like she may have been dehydrated, but it cleared up after more water intake. She’s lost muscle mass from old age, her dewlap has shrank a bit, but her appetite hasn’t changed & she’s still actively running around with her housemate cat, chewing up cardboard and lounging.

But I’ve noticed her stomach isn’t quite doughy like it used to be, it’s not hard, but it’s slightly tense. She’s still having heathy poops, still eating & drinking. And it seems like some days it’s softer and other days it’s harder.

I’m thinking she’s got some cysts or tumors, sadly... considering her age & being unspayed, but I can’t find anything about the early stages through Google searches. I also sometimes think I’m just overthinking it and getting anxious over nothing.

Is there anything else I should look for just to bring up to the vet? I recently moved, so she’ll be going to a new vet, who I brought my cat to. They’re an exotic vet as well, and he told me he has a couple rabbits himself, so I’m eased with that knowledge. Just want to honestly prepare myself for anything~
Any insight is appreciated!

Being unspayed and a possible uterine issue, was my first thought. She definitely should be checked for that due to her older age and being unspayed, with a possible ultrasound being done. Probably a good idea to have blood work done as well. And a dental check, just because it's always good to do.

Back