Hard Stomach

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*nepo*

Reaction score
Nepo has a hard tummysometimes is this bad? He is pooping, peeing, eating, and drinkingenough. And his poops are normal size. He isn't shedding rightnow.

When he is laying down all streched out he has areally big tummy, but when he is sitting I can feel a part of his ribs.Practically he gets unlimited pellets, because I refill his food bowlwhen it's empty. As I said before he eats 1/4 of a cup of pelletssometimes. Other times he eats 1/2 a cup.

I was just wondering if you have taken nepo tothe vet he might have a cancerous or noncancerous mass whitch is makinghis/her stomach hard?

If the tummy occasionally feels hard, but he'seating, drinking and voiding normally, I wouldn't worry. Afull tummy, full bladder and the digestion process can make the tummyfeel hard. It's also possible he's overweight if he's on fullfeed.

In cases where the tummy is always bloated and hard and the rabbit isthrifty in appearanceor showing other indications of illhealth, it can indicate parasites, intestinal blockage,cocci, heart problems (causing fluid to pool in the abdomen), or otherailments. In some cases, the bloated belly is due to aprotein deficiency (The reason you see the little starving childrenwith bloated bellies on the TV commercials), however, Nepo should begetting adequate protein if he's on a pelleted diet.

Pam

Yet again, I wonder if it's just a mini-Rextrait. Because Rex is the most solid block of bunny I've ever held.Peanut, in contrast, is a floppy lop, and most other bunnies areusually a little more squishy :p But Rex is my little football.

Im not a bunny expert like many of the peoplehere, but if your baby is eating, drinking, and eliminating waste as itshould be then there's a good chance it's just bloated. If this goes onfor an extended length of time you should definatly have a vet checkthe little sweetie out.

Pam brought up a great point about parasites causing a hard tummy. Iknow many animals actually eat more and drink more when they have wormsbecause they need extra nutrients because the parasites take so many,leaving the animal feeling hungry..... the tummy will feel full andbloated because of the infestation of parasites. I'm not sure howcommon worms are in Buns, but I know that cats and dogs exhibit thesesigns when loaded with parasites.

I think you might be right m.e. The two mini rexI have seem to have "tighter" tummies than my other buns. Rexi's isworse than Charlie's. When she lays down andis morerelaxed it's not quite a hard but when she's up and moving around shehas abs of steel. I can never palpate her and know whether or not she'spregnant. Her belly is just too tight.

Lanna

He doesn't always have thehard tummy, sometimes it is squishy. His timothy hay has 6%crude protein, but I don't know how much his pellets have because Ithrew away the bag.

lanna21974 wrote:
I think you might be right m.e. The two mini rex I have seemto have "tighter" tummies than my other buns. Rexi's is worse thanCharlie's. When she lays down andis more relaxedit's not quite a hard but when she's up and moving around she has absof steel. I can never palpate her and know whether or not she'spregnant. Her belly is just too tight.

Lanna
I agree as well. I have played with lops, dutch,mixes, etc. and they all feel... loose? or something.... Bo issolid. His tummy gets tighter sometimes but he's always beenfine. I listen for his stomach sounds when he's like that andI think it's just a full tummy working..

Latest posts

Back