Hard question - how much would you pay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it's treatable, I'd go up to about a thousand.

In 2009 I spent a little over $1,000 on my rabbit Dewey to treat and remove a lump under his chin. First they thought it was an abscess, then a tumor, but after removing and biopsying it they found it was a swollen saliva gland. He lived another 3 1/2 years without incident, until he became suddenly ill and died this week at almost 8 years old.

But yeah, you just have to consider your income and how much you can afford on vet bills.

My dad scoffed that I could have bought 100 new bunnies for what I spent on Dewey's vet bills, but that's not how pets work.

Last edited:
Hmm, me and my wife discussed the matter as well. She had a larger sum in mind, but that was before we got a second bun. It depends if its a one time payment or installment plans can be worked out, and I'm still not sure how far I would go. I don't want to value a pet low, but at the same time there are so many responsibilities. Comservatively I'd say $500 if it was an on the spot sort of thing, $1000 if it was a payment plan of sorts, and that depends of course on how long term the issue will be. Tough question...

Latest posts

Back