Handraised kit seems a little underweight..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasminebunny

Reaction score
So my kit ( only survior ) ., which we are handraising .
Seems a little underweight..

I'd do another feed, so if you are feeding twice a day, I'd increase it to three feedings. So i wouldn't increase the amount of formula in each feed but add another feed of the same size.

I'd do another feed, so if you are feeding twice a day, I'd increase it to three feedings. So i wouldn't increase the amount of formula in each feed but add another feed of the same size.
Okay , bun is getting 2 feedings 2 .2 mil per feeding or so .
So 3 2.2 mil feedings , she gets fed through a pipette .

Are you mixing it 3 parts water, 3 parts, kmr, 1 part heavy cream? Rabbit milk is higher in nutrients and fat than other species milk, so it's necessary to make up a richer mixture to try and replicate the mother rabbit's milk as closely as possible. Mixing up a more dilute milk would mean the baby isn't getting enough nutrients and fat, so wouldn't be gaining weight and growing well.

If you are doing the 3:3:1 mixture then it could be the baby just isn't get enough, so I would add another 2 feedings instead of one, just because of how skinny it's looking, and monitor it's weight gain and growth very closely. You don't want it overeating in a single feeding, but adding other feedings spaced out is a good way for it to get more food.

Are you mixing it 3 parts water, 3 parts, kmr, 1 part heavy cream? Rabbit milk is higher in nutrients and fat than other species milk, so it's necessary to make up a richer mixture to try and replicate the mother rabbit's milk as closely as possible. Mixing up a more dilute milk would mean the baby isn't getting enough nutrients and fat, so wouldn't be gaining weight and growing well.

If you are doing the 3:3:1 mixture then it could be the baby just isn't get enough, so I would add another 2 feedings instead of one, just because of how skinny it's looking, and monitor it's weight gain and growth very closely. You don't want it overeating in a single feeding, but adding other feedings spaced out is a good way for it to get more food.
Thank you , but babies gone now

Yes that's what I was doing

Latest posts

Back