Handling large breeds?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Earth-Bunny

Reaction score
Hello, all!

My spirit rabbit, Bella, passed away several weeks ago, and I am now on the road to find a new bunny love. While I love my Holland Lops, I've decided to get a large breed this time around, specifically, a French Lop. The jump in size from Holland to French is obviously significant. I was wondering if anyone has any advice about the handling of young Frenchies, and even young rabbits in general. I've found a young girl on a farm out of state but near a friend who raises French Lops and I am set to get one from her in a few weeks when the doe is 8 weeks. Though young, she is very mature and has proven to be a very knowledgable breeder. She has assured me that the kits get handled frequently, especially during the important 4-6 week age. So I'm not worried about handling/socialization prior to coming into my care, but rather once I get the baby, how often should I handle it at the very beginning to get her used to me? With my Hollands, I think I was over cautious about handling them early, afraid that I would frighten them. Bella, my doe, eventually warmed up to being handled but her bonded mate Oliver never did. He's still affectionate and loves head rubs, but trying to clip his nails is a NIGHTMARE. Seeing as French Lops are so much larger and stronger, I want to make sure that this doe gets used to being handled/examined early on. But how soon can I start working with her? I've heard mixed opinions- some are strict in the 'don't try and pick them up for at least two days before they approach you on their own' mentality and others maintain that from day one, consistent, daily holdings is the best route. I thought I'd open it up to the forum. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I don't think young rabbits have much opinion on being picked up until they get to around 3-4 months old. I handled both my bunnies a lot when they were placid little babies, but in time, one of them decided he REALLY hated it and from then on it was practically impossible to pick him up. So I think it depends a lot on the bunny's own likes and dislikes developing as it matures, doesn't really matter if you handle it straightaway or wait 2 days!

I have a flemmie who is about 5 months old. I got him at 8 weeks I handled him daily he didn't mind, but now he's getting bigger he doesn't like it to much and I don't push it on him. I take my rabbits to the vet to get nail trims and they do a fine job at it. I guess I don't really need to pick them up I can always just lat down and give them rubs and whatnot. Really all my rabbits don't like to be held with exception of my holland he just craves the attention. Just putting him down he doesn't like and he freaks out.

I have a flemish giant that we got at ten weeks old. We had no issues picking him up at the breeders or when we got home. However, after that we stopped because of my panicking after hearing so many times people saying how they could break their backs if not picked up right.

My bun is a wonderful boy, likes everyone, is hardly ever spooked by anything, loved to play with us when younger and now loves being petted more than play, we have always been able to pet him almost anywhere except feet and belly and that's only when he is energetic as I can pet him there when he's lazing about. I think if we had kept it up picking him up he probably would be fine with that today.

Now he hops away when you try to and I worry about him being hurt with me trying to pick him up since neither him or I are used to it and he's so big now. I would worry less if he was a smaller bun. Luckily for me he lets me trim his nails with no problems as long as I give him some pets between each nail. I do know if I had to I would since I have when afraid he would hurt himself jumping onto his open cage door.

All of that to say my advice is to pick your bun up from the start and frequently, even if only for a moment so both of you will be used to it. If the bun seems very shy and very scared when you first bring it home then you might want to give it a few days first.

Maybe also ask the breeder to show you how she picks her buns up so you can pick him up the same way as long as you are comfortable with it since there is more than one way and he will be used to the way she does.

Thank you everyone! I think all of your advice seems completely reasonable. I know rabbit personalities evolve, especially when they start to reach sexual maturity, so I expect she'll put up a fuss for a while once she gets to be that age, but I'm hoping if I start off on the right foot then I can maintain a good hands-on relationship (and keep my fingers crossed that she's a cuddly one!)...

I use a pet carrier to pick up my flemie. In way to afraid to pick her up. I'd die if her back broke. I keep the pet carrier in her cage so she's completely used to it and hops in it willingly. It helps with vet visits too. I don't have to worry about struggling to get her in it.

I use a pet carrier to pick up my flemie. In way to afraid to pick her up. I'd die if her back broke. I keep the pet carrier in her cage so she's completely used to it and hops in it willingly. It helps with vet visits too. I don't have to worry about struggling to get her in it.

This is what we do too, we have the dog carrier we brought our Flemish Stewie home in in his ex-large dog crate as his hiding place (took the door off), he sleeps in it all the time and we figured vet visits would be much easier. We of course will have to buy him a bigger one as he grows but transporting him should be nice and easy, better than struggling to shove him in a carrier if he wasn't used to it.

We handle all of ours a lot. Some don't care for it and others love being held, but, you'll have to get them used to being handled or have no end of problems. Nail clipping and cleaning are so much easier if they are docile. The problem some people have is that they let the rabbit train them--read up on behavior and always be the "alpha".

Latest posts

Back