Handling Issues / Smelly Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beccabeau

Reaction score
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on a few things. (Pip's almost 12 weeks old btw)

1. I'm having trouble being able to pick Pip up- when I went to collect him from the breeder a couple of weeks ago, she had no problem picking him up and carrying him around, I even held him while I was there. After we got home though, it was another matter. I've put off handling him too much to give him a chance to settle in, so I gave up trying to lift him out of his cage and instead I opened the door so he could hop in and out as he pleased.

He doesn't mind being stroked at all, and often nudges me with his head to request a pat, but as soon as I try and scoop up his bum, he resists and then does the whole "leave me alone" hind kick in my direction (rude!)

2. Not sure if all of these issues are related but I've been noticing a strange smell coming from him/ his litter box. It smells like B.O. I have looked into it, and have come to the conclusion that it's his scent glands, which is fine, but due to issue no.1 I have no idea how I'd even get him to let me clean them, if that's what the problem is.
Is it safe to leave it altogether/ leave it to let the vet have a look (he's getting his injections on Sunday)? Or should I try and deal with this with the help of a few more hands?

I did consider getting a wet wipe and just sort of wiping his underside with it, but I doubt this would do the trick or reach the intended area. The smell started as a newly-cleaned litter box territory marking and has ended up making him smell gross. I cleaned out his litter box last night, and his poo (although small and plentiful) is round and hard.

3. Pip also seems a bit lazier today than usual. Yesterday he was bounding about like a loon, today he's mainly in the loaf position, obviously snoozing. He's never been (obviously) asleep around me before, so I'm wondering if this is just him getting used to being in his new space and being comfortable around me/ trusting me more, or if it's something more serious than that? He's been hopping around today a little bit, but not binkying nearly as much as usual, which is a bit worrying, as nothing has changed.

He's been eating pellets and drinking water all day today.
Perhaps it's just a case of being more tired than usual because he's been out for hours on end the past few days? Maybe he's just (finally!!) chilling out a bit?

Edit: He's also been grooming a lot a lot a lot today, and he's been giving me the mega grumps! (He chewed/ nipped at my jeans/ ankles earlier when I was sitting with him, which I took as a "hey, back off!" signal)

Could it just be that he is being a little grumpus today?

Any pointers or ideas on any of these problems would be greatly appreciated! Just tell me if I'm being silly and paranoid, I'm a bunny newbie :p

Thanks guys! :flowerskiss:
xB (&P!)

Last edited:
I doubt at his age that he has build up on his scent glands, though if he does, you're fine waiting til he goes to the vet. Boy rabbits just really stink until they get neutered. I had one of my, as of yet, unneutered male buns running around the living room, and the odor from his scent marking was so overpowering, it was making me gag . Neutered males still can smell a bit, but not hardly as bad as unneutered males, and it's the strongest when they are scent marking by leaving their little poops everywhere. Once they get over needing to mark their territory, unneutered males don't hardly smell at all.

Most rabbits don't like being picked up, but it's just something you have to teach them to tolerate. He may respond better to a different way of being picked up. I usually just scoop up with one hand under the belly and the other under the rump. I have one rabbit that always has to be picked up with a hand under the rump, and brought up to my chest very slowly, or he gets really scared if I try and do it too quickly. But most of them I don't give them a chance to balk or squirm, and just scoop right up to my chest. When holding them, I have a hand under the rump and usually one over the shoulder area. With my especially squirmy ones, I'll hold firmly with my hand over the shoulder area or ever slide it up over their head, as that sometimes helps them calm down. Another way to hold is a football hold, with the rabbit laying on your forearm against your belly, with your other hand over the top of them to keep them secure. So, you may have to try a few different things to see what your rabbit responds to best. The most important thing is to not let him squirm loose and jump out of your arms, because you don't want him learning that if he wiggles he can get away, and you don't want him getting injured. So hold him fimly if you need to.

Most rabbits pretty much nap all day long and only wake up enough to snack and potty. They are most active in the morning and evening. So it could be that he is just comfortable now in his new home. Rabbits will also usually be the most active and binkying when in a new area, or in an area they haven't been in for a while, then as they get used to it, they may not zip around and binky as much, but instead start checking things out more and tend to get in more trouble at this point chewing on things and testing things out, so watch out :) If he's bunny loafing or completely flopped out, then he is most likely just resting and comfortable. Signs of pain or digestive upset are changing postitions immediately and frequently, sitting hunched up(usually in a corner) for long periods of time, laying down pressing the belly to the floor and usually with the back legs tucked up under with the butt pushed up, squinting in pain, tooth grinding(which is different than tooth purring), change in eating habits, and change in poop quantity or quality. So exhibiting one or more of these will give you a heads up that something may be wrong.

The chewing and nipping at your jeans, is a pretty normal bunny thing. I try to discourage my rabbits from doing it by either clapping my hands and telling them 'no', or by moving them away from me and telling them 'no', as I don't want them to learn it's ok to nip people. Your bun was probably just trying to get your attention. Sometimes it's just that rabbits like to mess around with cloth, towels, etc, but usually it is to communicate something with you. It could mean 'hey pet me', or 'I need my litter box cause I need to pee', or it could be that he wants you to move your leg as it's in his way. Now if you are trying to pick him up or something like that, and he nips, then that is out of irritation, but is something that should still be discouraged and not allowed.

Last edited:
Hey, that's really helpful! Thanks!

I'm hoping the vet will be able to answer all the silly questions I may have thought up by Sunday, but it's nice to have my mind put at ease for now! :D

Thank you!
x B

Nikki, our avatar has sleeping sickness, or she's just a world class sleeper. Way different from all our other bunnies. Once he is neutered he will be less "stinky" although sometimes the cecotropes smell rather strongly. I'd keep a running log of questions so when you go to the vet you won't forget to ask about something. Almost forgot about handling. You're the alpha so you will have to get him used to being handled by you--most don't like it but they will learn to tolerate it. You're supposed to train him, so don't let him train you too much.

Last edited:
Thanks!

I think after a few more weeks of me trying he might finally learn to be nice when I'm holding him :)

When I got Bandit from his breeder, she picked up all three I looked at no worries. But as soon as I tried to hold Bandit he was struggling. A lot of it is about that some rabbits are scared of new people and their smell. Bandit is that way, he gets nervous around new people which is why I don't let my friends hold him, he won't even take greens from new people! So when I first got Bandit, before he got used to being picked up (which he seemed to already be used to at the breeder) he had to be ok with me. I think it took a month for him to warm up to me, which is when it got easier to pick him up and probably a good two months for us to form a proper bond. But I just kept being persistent with picking him up, practicing several times a day and finding the right hold that worked for us.

When you are going to pick him up, do it with a "I'm going to pick you up now, it's not optional on your part" attitude. If you are hesitant and worried, they'll pick up on it and "use it against you". It sounds silly, but it works with animals (and kids). Be firm in what you do. They'll learn more easily if you are firm and clear and consistent in your movements. If you are hesitant, try, put them down, leave it, come back, try again, they can learn that mucking about gets you to go away and that the same thing isn't going to happen each time. You need to try to be consistent with how things happen with them. It also helps with our anxiety. You plan what to do, do it, you get to anticipate predictable results and not be fearful that it'll all "go wrong".

I know I haven't explained this very well, and it may sound airy-fairy, but it works.

Its true what they say about confidence and practice. I used to be so timid and worried to do it so I just kept at it until it became second nature. Now my buns dont like it any better me picking them up, but they dont have an option so squirm far less. Keep at it and remember that in the end its for the best.

Back