Handable?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyfire

Reaction score
OK, I realize each rabbit has its own personalities, But I was wondering if there is any breed of rabbit that is more readily handled than other breeds. I have seen rabbits in the past that don’t seem to like to be handled at all and tend to try and break free, and I have seen others that did not seem to mind being handled at all. Would the larger breeds tend to be more apt to let a person handle them than smaller breeds?

Thanks to whoever answers.

I can only speak from my personal experience on this. I have a flemish giant who hates being picked up or held. He loves being petted, but only while he is on the ground. I have learned to handle him when I need to, and generally think of him as easy to handle. I have no trouble getting him in a carrier, or grooming him etc. However he is very large and heavy, and has scratched me very badly in the past - so I would not think he would be very easy for an inexperienced person to handle.

My dutch rabbit will allow me to pick her up and hold her, but does not seem to enjoy it. She would also prefer being petted while she is on the ground. I did once have a mini rex who was like my current dutch, in that he was willing to be picked up and held. However, I have never had a rabbit that seemed to really like being picked up and/or held. I can tell they are only tolerating it because they seem quite tense, but they do not actively struggle to get away like the flemish does. They seem much more relaxed and happy to be petted while on the ground.

My cousin has a dutch rabbit that does seem to enjoy being held. She holds her for long periods of time and her rabbit falls asleep while being held, which I would think means she feels comfortable being held. This is certainly not to say that all dutch rabbits or mini rex are going to be easy to handle. These are just the easy to handle rabbits I have personally known.

I don't think larger breed means easier to handle. I would think it might be more uncomfortable for large rabbits actually, because the surface area of support from your hands/arms would be smaller relative to their size. And if they do decide to struggle - ouch, those claws are massive!

Some of it is breed related, otherwise it's individual personality. I've heard that Netherland dwarf rabbits don't like being held, but I'm sure there's some that like it. I think you'd probably be better off searching for the personality than breed traits.

Latest posts

Back