Hairless ginnie pigs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loplover

Reaction score
Yesterday the Michigian 4-H rabbitand cavyshow was hear at Michigan State so I of corse stoped by.

As I was walking through admring all the rabbits, I saw this lady with the oddest looking critter I have seen in a long time. Apon closer exmantion I saw that it apeard to be a small ginnie pig without hair :shock:!

I asked the lady about it and yes it was indeed a Hairless ginie pig. Aparently they are a new bread. Who Knew?

:laugh: Oh, gosh! that's so funny to think about! I'm imagining my bratty little sister's guinea pig (picture attached) without any hair! it would solve my guinea pig allergies.... Hey, anyone know of a vet that does rodent electrolysis??? :D

Electrolysis is a form of permanent hair removal. I wouldn't actually do that to a g-piggie (I do find them pretty cute), it's just funny to think about. ;)

Linz_1987 wrote:
I heard about the 'new' breed a while ago, but I didnt think it would tag along.

Also in the petshop they are selling hairless rats. Its just so cruel I think. They must get really cold and sunburn!

Anybody who hasnt seen one before:

http://209.17.131.1/index.asp?ct=1&ch=1&it=10
I agree with you Linz. It is cruel to do that to guinea pigs. Rats had been hairless for decades. But guinea pigs they get uri so easily when they are hairless. One of my friends who is a rescue had rescued a hairless boy. She made a shirt for him out of old teeshirts to keep him warm all winter and summer if have ac. She said that she never delt with hairless before and did not know any difference. She treated him like a normal pig but did not realize that they get sick quicker. She treated him for uri within a week after having him. He ended up passing away from extream bad uri. Now she makes tons of shirts to keep on hand incase she ever rescues more.

The only reason why I would adopt one of those is because I would feel sorry for it.

I dont mean to sound mean, but its so true.

Really what point is there? I was just looking through the siteI gave out, and they have nude chickens! They look like your dinner is walking around, literally! Its just sad to see the extent people will go to for a bit of £ $.

I would adopt them as well. Even though I am not really fond with them. My thing is if anyone wants to own them, adopt them or foster. Make sure you got extra cash to pay a bit more for heating in gas or elec and in vet bills.

You did not offend me at all. I was just pointing out some issues. I would love to find away to stop those kind of breeding. It would be like someone finding a new breed in hairless rabbits. Oh that would be bad too.

That would be so DREADFUL! They would all just die so quickly if you didnt take EXTRA EXTRA EXTRA care.

Im still waiting for them to bring out a breed of rabbit like my avatar! :D

Do you think that they would ever do that. They prbably need a young female tiger and a great rabbit buck to mate. That would be interesting though. My husbands good friend that he worked with had a half rabbit and half cat. No kidding. He had rabbit feet and tail, the other half was cat. Hops like a bun but eats like a cat.

Glad to see Im not the only one who was disturbed by the sight. Im sorry but that is one of the ugliest critter I have ever seen.

Lets seethere hairless cats, dogs, ginnie pigs, rats, chickens and who knows what else. Why dose society enjoy this. Is it the "Freaks of Nature" thing?

ummmmmm,maybe these people who do this stupid breeding should be stripped with their clothes and be made to walk around naked.

myself,i do not see any point in breeding hairless animals,just doesnt seem right and for what point????????.

the way i see it,people are just experimenting with these poor creatures for their own pleasure,just to see what they can come up with.

animals are animals and people should just leave them alone the way they ARE MEANT to be,with fur.

SweetPeasMommie wrote:
I would adopt them as well. Even though I am not really fond with them. My thing is if anyone wants to own them, adopt them or foster. Make sure you got extra cash to pay a bit more for heating in gas or elec and in vet bills.

You did not offend me at all. I was just pointing out some issues. I would love to find away to stop those kind of breeding. It would be like someone finding a new breed in hairless rabbits. Oh that would be bad too.
Believe it or not - there are such things as "hairless" rabbits. However, they are not a breed - it is a genetic mutation that happens sometimes- NOT on purpose. Glenna Huffmon has a bit of information on it in her book "Rabbit Color Genetics" (or something like that - I don't have it handy).

Peg

SweetPeasMommie wrote:
Oh well at least it was not an intentional breeding.
I'm guessing it wouldn't be intentional. It was discussed in the book I was reading - near the end of the book. There were actually 2 forms of "hairless" and one was called naked...I forget what the other one was.

It really made for fascinating reading and I think she had a picture...I'll have to go pull out the book later and look at it again.

Anyway - it is interesting the things you can learn....in this case - from a book!

Peg

That is so horrible. The only thing that makes me think of is seeing an animal with really bad mange which has made its hair fall out. I don't really see why people would do that, I don't like those bald dogs you get either. I think its cruel to breed animals until they become so unnatural like that. It's irresponsible.

Some people... honestly! The poor little things have no way to keep themselves warm, and I'm sure their heatlh suffers alot as a result. I would probably adopt one though.... It'd be least I could do for the little guy, after all, it's not their fault some stupid humans made them like that!

Aw! I love skinnypigs! I've known about them since childhood, and I've always thought that they were the most adorable creatures. Everyone that I've met, has been pretty mellow and not as skittish and crazy as most of the regular guinnie pigs I've seen. I definately want to have one someday. I haven't met many people who like them as much as I do, but I think they are adorable.. they look like little hippos!

Latest posts

Back