Hairballs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meghan910

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Just wanted to know what you all use on your rabbits to get rid ofhairballs? I'm still useing the dried papaya, but I only noticed thefur in Manhattan's droppings like the first few times I had given it tohim. I don't really see it too much when I clean out the cage and Iknow it's normal, but he eats his poop when he's in the kitchen (whichis where I let him run around). Just wanted to know what else you canuse since he's been cleaning himself a lot lately. Thanks a bunch!

Meghan

Fresh

Did you try that yet?

It has to be fresh. Try yourgrocery store, hopefully it has a salad bar.

-Carolyn

The best "intestinal scrub brush" is simplyhay.Greens can also promote a healthydigestive system (in small amounts if rabbits are not accustomed tothem). Plenty of clean, fresh water daily is amust. I give Nutri Cal to our rabbits that go off feed.

Most cases of blockage are preceded by a health problem or virus whichleads to a sluggish GI tract and over growth of harmfulbacteria. Damage to the GI tract nerves can result fromClostridium botulinum (botulism), also identified as a factor in fatalGI tract blockages of horses and human infants.Arabbit with a stressed or compromised immune system is more prone torisk. Cases of GI stasis increase in early spring and fall.

Pam

Thanks for all the information, Pam. Didn't realize that the GI Stasis cases increase in the spring and fall.

I was under the impression that Meghan910 was using hay, but wanted asupplement. I have heard your advice backed up over and over again, buteven if I didn't, I'd still trust you.

I'm glad you mentioned the hay. It definitely does go a great job ofkeeping the rabbits intestinal system clean as well as keep them frombeing bored.

Fauna was never fed hay for the first 4.5 years of her life. Being aHolland Lop, I'm surprised she didn't have problems. She has'stringers' (stools attached with hair) quite a bit, and it's the haythat gets it out. Once in awhile I'll throw in some dried papaya or asmall piece of fresh pineapple, but I do that as extra. I don't thinkeither of them necessarily need them, but in the case the hay hasmissed them, I figure, I figure it can't hurt.

How much greens can you give them before you have to worry about them getting runny stools?

-Carolyn

I have heard people talk about a chewable papaya vitamin pill that you can get at like walmart.

Also, the canned pumpkin pie filling has a LOT of fiber, and inmoderation, it should push things through... least that is what workedfor Guin last year

The amount of greens that can be safely given candepend upon the individual rabbit, but a medium dandelion leaf or a fewparsley stalks is a good way to start.

Pam

bunsforlife wrote:
I have heard people talk about a chewable papaya vitaminpill that you can get at like walmart.

Also, the canned pumpkin pie filling has a LOT of fiber, and inmoderation, it should push things through... least that is what workedfor Guin last year

I got the papaya pills at walmart and been giving them one aweek. I didnt know how much i should give so thats what ibeen doing. They eat it up with no problems.

Cristy

Even though I always provide the girls withTimothy Hay, I have to give Jade pineapple every now and then just to"clean" her out a bit since she has very very velveteen like fur and itis soo fine it seems to build up in her. Here is a question though,recently I switched to compressed Timothy Hay, little blocks of it-hasanyone tried these, and what are your thoughts on it?

Cher

I know Guin wont touch them. Gir will,but Gir will eat anything... and I do mean anything... he jumped up onthe desk last night to lick the mushroom gravy off our dinner plates.

Same here -- our rabbits never really cared forthe compressed alfalfa pellets either. Since straw issometimes easier for me to get, I often give that to the rabbits tomunch on.

Pam

Latest posts

Back