Hairball

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimmerre

Reaction score
I have a 1 year old spayed lionhead...and she's my baby.

Bun Bun got sick recently. Took her to the vet a few times and she's now getting better, and back to her old self.

So now I'm just exploring every possible thing I can about the health issues they can have. I had posted an ad on craigslist.org before I found this wonderful site and someone mentioned rabbit hairballs to me and I thought I should look more into it. I know they can get them easily so I brush my bun regularly, and always have,and Ialso use a hand vaccum everyday and suck up any excess hair on her shelves in her multi level cage. My question is besides those precautions I know they still groom themselves on a regular basis but what are the signs of a hairball? I know they can't puke, but is it treatable if caught early enough? Can you give them hairball medicine like the same you would give cats?

Thank you much!

The only way to tell if they really have hair blockage is if it's in there poop. A bunny passing abnormally small, or no poop, is in serious danger. The only way to really remove a hairball is with surgery.

The best way to prevent hair from clogging up the pipes is to feed a high-quality grass hay and a good rabbit grain. Exercise is also important in maintaining a healthy digestive tract, so make sure she gets out and plays at least once a day :)

I have two Angora rabbits whom I'm battling wool-blockage with. The people who sold them at auction apparently didn't do their research to well, both came with hock sores and the doe had a bad case of mites. Right now their both passing 'necklaces' (where the hair in their system strings together the poop). I had a brief scare where the doe passed very small poop, NOT a good sign.

I run both my bunnies outside as much as possible, along with providing a high-fiber diet. It really helps keep the bowels moving with loads of exercise and plenty of fresh fiber-rich forage.

Good luck!

Bun Bun gets plenty of exercise, and endless supply of timothy hay, and good food. After this scare recently I think I might buy an even better food. She did just have little poops two days ago and I got even more worried. I was told she had Snuffles at the vet, then my bun wouldn't go "downstairs" to pee, and was peeing all over her self constantly. That has since gotten better (thanks to Baytril), I've completely taken out all cedar chips out of her cage and switched to Yesterday's News. I checked out her cage today and saw normal little poops. Never saw any "neclaces". =D I'm so excited and this has been a VERY stressful week. I thought for sure I was going to lose her.

Surgery is not recommended for hairballs/blockages, it's really a very last resort. Hydration is key, and as Icaus noted, hay and exercise.

What is her diet now?

When my guys molt I give them some canned pumpkin. Its high fiber and wet. Its always a good idea to get rabbits thinking that pumpkin is a treat, it can really come in handy.

What were her symptoms?

EDIT: Sorry, missed the above post about her peeing habits. Did the vet check for a Urinary Tract Infection? One of the most important things to remember is that a gut slowdown or stasis is a symptom, not a illness.

While molts can stress the system, its likely something else caused the GI tract issues, the hair accumulated as a result.

sas :clover:

Pipp wrote:
When my guys molt I give them some canned pumpkin. Its high fiber and wet. Its always a good idea to get rabbits thinking that pumpkin is a treat, it can really come in handy.

I'll have to pick up some of that :) I like my guys getting as much fiber as they can, I bet they'd love canned pumpkin.

Next trip to the grocery store I'm buying canned pumpkin! I took her in after noticing runny rose & sneezing. He gave her 1 shot of penicillin and I was told to come back for two more. Went in for the second one and mentioned her peeing on herself and the white chunky "stuff" that was coming out of her girly parts. The vet thought for awhlie and decided to treat her for a UTI and quit giving penicillin. She's on day 8/10 of Baytril oral injections now and it's seemed to make a difference. The vet didn't run any tests or do any cultures. Could I feed canned pumpkin on a regular basis to help maintain a good GI track?

What color was and is her pee?

Was the 'white chunky stuff' coming from her urinary tract or her uterus/vent area?

Did the vet give her an infusion of fluids?

The 'snuffles' may have been a symptom that also came along because her system was stressed from the urinary tract infection.

Is her runny nose etc better now?

What she really needs is fluids. I'd try putting down a crock of water with a little cranberry juice in it -- real cranberry, not the cocktail.

Are you feeding her vegetables?

sas :clover:

What startled me the most is I was wiping the pee of her butt with a damp towel and her bleach white hair had a red streak in it so I assumed it was blood in her urine. To be honest I'm not really sure where the white chunky stuff was coming out of, I'm not too familiar with their anatomy. I just tried getting a picture off google because then I would know what part is what, but I didn't come across anything that would help me.

The vet did not give her any fluids.

Runny nose went away a day or two after the first shot of penicillin.

I'll try the cranberry juice...100% juice. How much? Just a few drops?

She's not a big fan of veggies. I've tried several veggies and fruit and the only thing she likes is carrots but I don't give them to her often. I was going to try for some kale or basal if our grocery store carries it....along with some cranberry juice and canned pumpkin!

Yikes, the blood and the white chunky stuff need to be looked into in more detail.

Sitting in urine can be a sign of UTI or excessive pain from something else, often gas or GI stasis.

How far apart were these penicillin shots? Did the vet take a urine sample to culture, to look for bacteria causing a UTI? Is the white chunky stuff more like skin flakes or mucusy? Is it coming from her scent glands (two small slits that run toward the leg from the anus, often full of white or even brown chunky, waxy, smelly stuff)?

Definitely increase her water intake. I would get some pedialyte and mix it 4:1 with pure (no sugar added) cranberry juice. That would be really good at getting her rehydrated and help with any potential bladder infection.

Canned pumpkin is also great, and I would look for a probiotic. Pet stores often sell something called Bene-Bac which is in a tube in the dog/cat section, and farm stores sell one called ProBios, which comes in horse, goat, sheep, and other formulations. Horse is probably the best. If you can't find those, look for human acidophilus capsules and cut them open, then sprinkle the powder on her food. Do not give yogurt or milk-derived products--they cannot digest them. Probiotics help the GI tract work correctly.

Could the blood have been coming from her anus instead of the urethra? Also, has she been pooping ok?

This has some good images that may help:
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Uro_gen_diseases/generalities/female_organ.PDF

Ok hopefully this works. I just tried posting and it said I wasn't a member.

The doctor only gave her one shot of penicillin, when I went back for the second shot he decided to put her on Baytil instead, said it was a stronger medicine. He did not do a urine sample.

The white chunky stuff isn't flaky, I guess it would be more to the mucus side. It wasn't going from her slits or her anus, in fact I gently squeezed around it and it came out and I haven't seen it since. Two days ago I saw little white dots around her vagina and slits, it was almost like you could wipe them away. Reminded me of pollen which it could have been because she was outside with me on her leash, but I just find it odd that it wasn't anywhere else.

Two days ago she only had really small poop. Yesterday I went through her cage and found normal sized poop, just a little lighter in color than normal.

If yogurt isn't good for them does that mean that "yogies" aren't because she really likes those!?

She still has today and tomorrow of the Baytril, is it a good idea to mix the Pedilyte and Bene-Bac with the Baytril? I don't want to mix anything together that shouldn't be.

Thank you again and again for all the help. I GREATLY appreciate it.

I might suggest a second opinion. I am always concerned when a vet makes a diagnosis of "snuffles" since that really isn't a correct term. Maybe a little more discussion with the vet on this. If a UTI is suspected, supplemental fluids should be an immediate response. I am also concerned that you were told Baytril is "stronger" than penicillin. Actually there is no such thing as a "stronger" antibiotic....they are broad spectrum or targeted. Injectable penicillin offers far more coverage than Baytril. In fact, Baytril has fallen from favor from many vets due to resistant bacteria caused by misuse of this drug over the years. I have not used Baytril in many years....I am not a vet but I had concerns about it's effectiveness years ago....and my suspicions are being proven true.

As far as "hairballs"....rabbits don't really get hairballs as do cats and dogs. They do get impactions caused by the massing and dehydration of ingesta. Cat/dog cat hairball remedies are inappropriate for rabbits and they tend to make things worse. The best treatment for impactions is prevention by a proper diet and hydration.

I would suggest a full physical exam that includes a urinalysis and blood work including a titer for EC.

Randy

Since my whole situation is explained in this section I have another question. I've always had a salt lick and a mineral lick available to her. For the year that I've had her she's never had any interest in them until now. Every since she's started to feel better she's been licking the mineral one (in fact she's doing it now). I was hoping she'd chew on it to help with her teeth (vet said her teeth were so good he couldn't believe I didn't trim them myself!) but she just sits there and licks it. Any ideas?

Also I went to the store and bought her some kale, basil, spinach, and mint. She likes all but the mint. I just gave her a few samples of each and I'm going to work her up to a bigger amount. Overall she's improved greatly. =D

Latest posts

Back