Hair Mats

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBC

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good remedy to helpcontrol "hair mats" in a bun? I had to go to the e.r. vet lastnight (they took two x-rays) definitely some gas and someimpaction going on... they gave him a shot of Rugulon (sp?) and somefluids under his skin and discharged him with a syringe (10 cc) ofCriticalCare. I got 3 cc's down him (along with a little pineapplejuice around 6 am) ... he is much better, but this is the second timewe have gone through this. this year. I brush him as much aspossible, vacumn his cage and play area, he has plenty of hay (he rollsin it) LOL I give him papaya pills evey morning and sometimes as atreat. I have a follow up appt. w/ his vet later today to see where wego from here. I was thinking of giving him a dose of the cat hairballremedy as a daily or monthly diet supplement (???) Any advice?

The molting can be stressful -- paired withchanges in the weather and possible viral infections,a slowedGI tract is not unusual at this time of year. The hair initself is generally not the cause, but the result ofa slowedGI tract. Some rabbits are more prone to this condition thanothers.

An IV electrolyte solution such as lactated ringers can be very helpfulis supportive treatment. The solution contains potassiumwhich is often recommended in treatment (I give Nutri Cal orally, whichalso has potassium).

Pam

I'm on the west coast, where can I purchase Nutri Cal?

WoW! Alot of info ... I will hand off a copy to his vet today. Thanks!

Just got back from the vet's ... she recommendedthat I monitor his hay intake and make sure his has a bountiful supply... I told her that he loves hay and that I give him a variety oftimothy, oat and orchard grass (all he can eat). She said to take himoff the pellets that there was not much benefit to using them. He seemsto avoid his usual romaine lettuce and is eating alot more parsley. Heis pooping and peeing and making his only treats and is growling at meagain when I get in his way ... signs that he is better. I read partsof that article and I think I might try the dry papaya and pineappleenyzmes with some non-sweetened peditlyte (sp?) She frowned on the useof Nutri-Cal ... I wasn't real happy with her bedside manner (she's notmy regular vet) although she said she was familar with this forum. Iguess sometimes we have to just go with our guts on things ... I thinkI will look into pet insurance (if nothing else I will buy it andnothing will happen for me to use it ... it's cheaper than the midnighte.r. bills and check-up costs. He's worth the money, but I have tobudget for him and the rest of my family. Would you happened to know ifa hair mat (or what ever he has) would be considered a predisposedcondition ... afterall,he ishairy "head-to-toe." LOL

I'm glad to hear he's "moving" again!:D

From what I know, rabbits are not really prone to hair blockages (well,except for the wooly breeds) but some are prone to GI stasis, which hasthe same symptoms, different or no discernable causes, and can cause ahair ball because the hair isn't being moved through.Sometimes it's a matter of experimenting a little with theirdiet. Some rabbits do much better with little to no pellets,lots of hay, and lots of veggies while others require pellets and hayand very few veggies. Although that doesn't mean your rabbitis prone to them. It has been an awful fall for many rabbits.

What type of pellets are you feeding him, and how much fiber do theyhave? Sometimes a switch to a high-fiber pellet can help, andit certainly never hurts.

Although the Nutri Cal is intended fordogs/cats, it is being widely used for rabbits and is also nowfrequently offered through rabbit supply catalogs (Da-Mars, for exampleNutri Cal listed by top breeders as one of the products they keep onhand for sick rabbits. While not approved for rabbits, likemany other products, Nutri Cal has found an "off label" market.

Pam

Oxbow Bunny Basic T Pellets

Bunny Basics/T

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min) 14.00 %
Crude Fat (min) 1.50 %
Crude Fiber (min) 25.00 %
Crude Fiber (max) 29.00 %
Moisture (max) 10.00 %
Calcium(min) 0.35 %
Calcium (max) 0.85 %
Phosphorus (min) 0.25 %
Salt (min) 0.50 %
Salt (max) 1.00 %
Vitamin A, IU/kg 20,000
Vitamin D, IU/kg 880
Vitamin E, IU/kg 140
Copper, mg/kg 20

Ingredients
Timothy Grass Meal, Soybean Hulls, Wheat Middlings,Soybean Meal, Cane Molasses, Salt, Limestone, Yeast Culture(Saccharomyces cerevisiae), Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement,Vitamin E Supplement (tocopherol), Vitamin C Supplement (AscorbicAcid), Colloidal Silica, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (VitaminK), Riboflavin, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, PantothenicAcid, Biotin, Thiamine, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, PyrodoxineHydrochloride, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite, Magnesium Sulfate, FerrousSulfate, Cobalt Carbonate, Manganese Oxide, Zinc Oxide, Zinc Sulfate,Copper Sulfate, Mineral Oil, Calcium Iodate, Potassium Chloride
... a friend of mine suggested using them. He loves them, but then hejust loves to eat ... that's why when he shuts down, I know I've gottrouble. I've learned to try to get fluids (like pineapple juice andelectrolyte types) down him. Canned pumpkin and now his new favoriteCriticalCare (which the e.r. vet gave him to take home last night). Thesubstitute vet at the Ark Pet Hospital TODAY said that his hair was sofine and that could be an issue ... his hair is sticky too!

I tried giving him some fresh kale ... he sniff at it and walked away... he hasn't touched his romaine either .... he seems to enjoy hisparsley right now. I bought some health food store (Raley's) papayaenzyeme tablets and some strawberry flavored acidophilus tablets.

Excellent choice of feed for the pet rabbitbecause of the low protein and high fiber. The timothy basedpellets are generally recommenced for the mature rabbit. Darkleafy greens and some vegetables can also be fed as well ashay. Some rabbits can be tempted with a little parsley ordandelion leaf, others will only eat the enzyme pellets when they areoff feed. While thier effectiveness in breaking downblockages is argued, at least the rabbit is eating something.

Pam

JBC, how much exercise time does heget? I am a big believer in lots of free run time for bunniessince I think it helps keep their gut moving and cuts down ongas. The article that was posted above may also mention thebenefit of exercise in keeping digestion 'on the move'.

My son build a movable ramp that attaches hiscondo to his play yard ... we call him the Mazda rabbit, cause he goeszoom. zoom up and down all day. He's a house rabbit and unfortunately Idon't have a room to dedicate just to him (wish I could). He mustbegetting decent exercise he went from 7 lbs when we first adopted himup to 11 lbs and is now back down to 8.01 lbs (as of TODAY'S weigh in)and the weight loss happened after the ramp was installed. In fact, mysons accuse me of starving him.

Latest posts

Back