Hair loss/scab/brusing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genieandjane

Reaction score
My bun is acting completely normal, playing, eating, running around. I noticed this spot a few days ago and figured i would wait it out a little bit to see if it got better or worse. Its now bruising with a black/blue color in the center, and I'm very concerned. any input would be greatly appreciated.

She is bonded with another bunny and i do notice her bonded bunny licking there often.... I don't know if she needs to go to the vet. or they just need to be separated. Im not sure if separating would work because i do see her scratching that spot with her back foot as well.

the first photo is when i first noticed it... the last two are right now (a few days later)

please help!!!

IMG_0194.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0256.jpg

If you do not think it is healing, she probably needs to go to the vet. Does the area feel like there is a lump there? It may have abscessed (got infected) and if so, she needs to have it drained/treated.

I didnt really feel it because i didnt want to get any germs on it. but i just separated them into different cages and put ointment on it, so maybe things will get better since the other bun isn't there to lick and get at it... so I'm going to give that a few days, and if no signs of healing will take to the vet. thank you!!

To me it looks like the other rabbit may have bit her. As long as it doesn't seem to bother your rabbit and you don't see any signs of infection or a lump, I would think it would heal up fine. Though if it were me, I would probably put a very light coating of plain neosporin/triple antibiotic ointment(no pain relief or other additives) to help prevent any infection occurring. And the light coating is to minimize the amount of ointment that might be ingested from the rabbit grooming itself.

If you have any concerns about the wound or how to treat it, best thing to do would be to phone your rabbit savvy vet.

Jbun.. thanks so much for your response. Why do you think the blue/black spot developed in the middle though, is has me concerned as you can see in the first picture it isn't there. I can't tell if its bruising or blood.

I put polysporin on it, i hope thats okay to do!

Bruising actually is bleeding, just under the skin. With a pinching type wound from a bite, I wouldn't be surprised to see a little bit of bruising involved, and like with any wound where bruising occurs, it sometimes won't show initially and may take some time before the bruising does finally show up, but if you look closely at your first picture there does appear to be the start of some bruising occurring. Though if more extensive bruising, swelling, or infection were to occur, that would certainly be a great concern to me.

It looks like polysporin is similar to neosporin/triple antibiotic ointment, it just doesn't have the neomycin in it. But it's also important to make sure it doesn't contain an analgesic or topical anesthetic. If it doesn't I would presume it is ok, but can't say for sure as I've never used it.

But like I mentioned previously, if you are unsure or have concerns, best to consult with a good rabbit vet. I can only say what I might do in a similar situation.

Latest posts

Back