Had to take Chase to the ER vet.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the slow reply...

Yes,I think the longer you soak, the better. Veggies that are cut have trouble getting water into themselves, as they have no vascular system operating efficiently (roots cut off, etc.) Water can still penetrate the remainder of the plant tissue... just takes a bit longer. The dye in the celery trick works well because the celery is mostly xylem (water conducting cells) and phloem, and is thus well built for water transport.

Perhaps you could cut up the veg ahead of time and store in water filled tupperware dish overnight?

The reason I suggest this is because I regularly bring wrinkly tomatoes back to life by soaking for 12-24 hrs. It is possible for the cells to take on more water, and become more turgid. My assumption is that you (like me) don't have access to just-picked veg, and likely choose from the few-days old rack at the grocery store (veg has already travelled at that point, and has lost water).

Give it a shot... anything to make this better.

BTW, I would reconstitute the cranberries by soaking in water, rather than nuking in microwave (microwaving depleting nutrients to a degree).

NorthernAutumn Thanks those are some wonderful ideas. I never thought about putting the veggies in tupperware and soaking them over night. That is such a great idea. Also soaking the cranberries I didn't think of that. Thanks I really appreciate it.

Poor little girl. I don't have any experience but wanted to offer good wishes and support. She doesn't look happy at all in that picture and that is a much larger stone than I'd ever want myself!

Thanks tonyhuman, she looks better now. She is moving around. Got some of her attitude back, she is throwing hay at me, thumping, and kicking her litter when it is time for her meds.

I went today to try and find cranberries and didn't have much luck. I looked in the fresh produce and frozen section. I went to two different stores. Does anyone know where you can find them at? Thanks

Amy27 wrote:
...She said we could do that but even if we see the minerals there isn't anything we can do to stop the stone from forming.

I am really frustrated because she hasn't come up with anything to help Chase. These are all ideas I have gotten from here.
I have been following your thread because everything with Chase had come up around the same time as Luna's kidney stones. I feel the same way as you do with the frustration because we should be able to do everything possible to help them. It is the most horrible feeling to have some one end a conversation with, ".... then there is nothing to do beyond that." I know vets need to be frank and honest about any diagnosis, but it sounds so callous to hear that once renal failure starts there is nothing to correct it.

I don't think I will forget the look on the vet's face when he told me Luna had kidney stones. It equaled a death sentence...

On the other hand, I will never ever forget the looks on Luna's face every time she is excited for her snacks, her sleepy looks when she cuddles with the other buns, and when she seeks comfort from me.

I guess all I am saying is for you to do your best with taking care of Chase. I am so glad she is starting to come around from her surgery. Keep positive about her healing, and a future free of stones. Good luck with the test results and the new vet, if needed.

Sending lot's of healing thoughts and hugs to you and Chase. :pray::hug:

myheart

myheart, my thought are with you and Luna. I have kept up with your thread also. I feel really bad for both of you. I agree there is nothing worse then hearing they can't do anything. My vet basically said if Chase keeps getting these I will have to put her to sleep because her bladder can't handle it. I have cried everyday about that. I won't give up though. I can tell you aren't either and that is such a great thing.

You are right it is all worth it to see them happy. But then it is hard because you wonder how much of that time you've got left. Okay gotta stop thinking like that it just makes me cry.

Ifeel bad for Luna because she can't even get hers removed. I hope things work out for you. One thing that has helped me feel better was to start looking at other options. My vet is no longer my only option. If I can't find a vet in Ohio to do something I will start looking somewhere else. It atleast gives me hope the next person might have a new idea that will save her life.

Amy27 wrote:
You are right it is all worth it to see them happy. But then it is hard because you wonder how much of that time you've got left. Okay gotta stop thinking like that it just makes me cry.

:yeahthat: Positive thoughts only... :)

myheart

OK guys, gonna write something that I don't want anyone to confuse or misconstrue as proper medical advice IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM!*

NOT TESTED ON ANIMALS! EVER!

(Personal human story). I had a really bad UTI a few years ago. Woke up crying and screaming in pain. Went to ER, given strong meds to clear up UTI. Went to chiropractor for some acupuncture to relieve the pain/assist with healing the urinary tract.
There was concern that I was developing a bladder stone. Put on powdered cranberry pills, told to drink LOTS of cranberry juice.

At the time, he said to me that if I developed a stone, it would be possible to disintegrate the stone with the consumption of like 2-3 big bottles of Pepsi.
It never developed, so we didn't go ahead with it. DOn't know if it would have worked or not. I am wondering if the abrasive acids in pepsi are available in a different format to do a similar job on a bunny. IE a vet equivalent.
Perhaps it is worth asking what a doctor would do for a human, and see if there is a suitable option for bun.

Was also wondering if you would consider taking Chase to an alternative medicines healer/vet. I know it may sound like mumbo-jumbo, but there are some compounds that can help (who's properties are put into regular drugs for commercial consumption). When you feel that you have run out of options with your vet, there may be someone in the naturopathic field who can help.

I don't really feel strongly about holistic medicines..
. all I know is that I received acupuncture regularly while getting through the UTI, and I felt a lot better.

Found this site: http://www.dmoz.org/Health/Animal/Alternative_Medicine/Practitioners/
and this one: http://wholepetvet.com/testimonials.php

ONE more... http://www.minimum.com/bb/viewforum.php?f=42

If you are running out of traditional vet solutions, this may be the next step...
I recognize there is a bank account limit, and a limit to the number of surgeries that she can get through successfully :(.
Call/email a few folks, and see what they propose, and whether or not it can be done for a bun. Most have traditional practice training, then holistic training...

*** I don't discount the ability of conventional vets in any way! ***

* I really don't want someone to read this in the future and actually try it without thinking!

Autumn

Did a search for Ohio through American Holistic Veterinary Association

http://ahvma.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=114

HVMA Members
Selected for OH All Modalities Small animal practice preferred Sorted by Last Name
Return to Search Page
RONALD ANDERS , DVM BS
COUNTY ANIMAL CLINIC
609 NORTH SECOND STREET
COLDWATER , OH 45828
Phone: 419-678-3610
Fax: 419-678-4838
Modalities Practiced: (Modality Quick Reference)
AC AC(IVAS) BF CH CR CN CT CM NU WH
Practice Preferences:
SMALL ANIMAL EQUINE FARM EXOTIC AVIAN HOUSE CALLS
animaldoctor.petplace.com (Modality Quick Reference)
AC AC(CHI) BF CH CR CR (HOWC) CN CM GT H HMTX WH
Practice Preferences:
SMALL ANIMAL
www.northworthingtonpetclinic.com (Modality Quick Reference)
AC AC(CHI) AK BF CH CN CM GT HMTX NU IAT MA REIKI WH
Practice Preferences:
SMALL ANIMAL
www.wellnesspathvet.com (Modality Quick Reference)
AC AC(IVAS) CH
Practice Preferences:
SMALL ANIMAL EXOTIC AVIAN

PAMELA FISHER , DVM BS
HOLISTIC VETERINARY PRACTICE & NATURAL PET STORE
7211 WALES AVE NW
NORTH CANTON , OH 44720
Phone: 330-266-2500
Fax: 330-266-2501
AK BF CR CT GT H HC NAET NU REIKI VOM WH CRANIOSACRAL THERAPY, HEALING TOUCH
Practice Preferences:
SMALL ANIMAL
www.holisticvetpractice.com (Modality Quick Reference)
AC AK CH CR CR(AVCA) CN CM HMTX NU WH
Practice Preferences:
SMALL ANIMAL
www.vetwellness.com (Modality Quick Reference)
AC AC(IVAS) AK BF CH CR CR(AVCA) CN CM GT H HMTX NU IAT MA MT WH
Practice Preferences:
SMALL ANIMAL EXOTIC AVIAN
www.drdonn.com (Modality Quick Reference)
AC AC(CHI) CH CN CM NU
Practice Preferences:
SMALL ANIMAL EXOTIC AVIAN HOUSE CALLS
www.allaboutpetcare.com (Modality Quick Reference)
CM HC NU
Practice Preferences:
SMALL ANIMAL EQUINE FARM EXOTIC

LUKE LUKASKO , DVM BS
NEWTON FALLS ANIMAL HOSPITAL
333 NORTH CANAL ST
NEWTON FALLS , OH 44444
Phone: 330-872-1965
Fax: 330-872-3255
AC GT NAET
Practice Preferences:
SMALL ANIMAL

ROBERT NEUBAUER , DVM MBS
MOUNT HEALTHY ANIMAL HOSPITAL
9199 PIPPIN RD
CINCINNATI , OH 45251
Phone: 513-931-9127
Fax: 513-931-9137
AC AC(IVAS) BF CH CN CM GT H HC NU WH
Practice Preferences:
SMALL ANIMAL

SUSAN ROGERS-SWANEY , DVM BA, MS
VETERINARY ALTERNATIVES
21 EAST RIDGEWAY AVE
DAYTON , OH 45459
Phone: 937-433-2202
Fax: 937-433-1140
AC AC(IVAS) BF CH CN HMTX NU FUNCTIONAL INDIRECT OSTEOPATHIC MANIPULATION
Practice Preferences:
SMALL ANIMAL
www.Veterinaryalternatives.com (Modality Quick Reference)
AC AC(IVAS) AK BF CH CR CR(AVCA) CN CM HMTX NU MA MT PMT WH CRANIOSOCIAL THERAPY, STEM CELL THERAPY
Practice Preferences:
SMALL ANIMAL EQUINE HOUSE CALLS
www.metropolitanvet.com (Modality Quick Reference)
AC AC(CHI) AK BF CH CM H HMTX NAET REIKI VOM WH ANIMAL COMMUNICATION
Practice Preferences:
SMALL ANIMAL EQUINE EXOTIC AVIAN HOUSE CALLS
www.sycamoreanimal.com (Modality Quick Reference)
CR (HOWC) REHABILITATION THERAPY, CRANIAL SACRAL THERAPY
Practice Preferences:
SMALL ANIMAL EQUINE

Return to Search Page

I still don't know if they can help, but it might be worth a shot?
Autumn

For myheart in Wisconsin: Don't know if you're interested, but here's a list...

MARK BAETKE , DVM
WOLF RIVER VET CLINIC
216 W WOLF RIVER AVE
NEW LONDON , WI 54961
Phone: 920-982-2733
Fax: 920-982-3112
BF CR CR(AVCA) CN CM HC WH
Practice Preferences:
SMALL ANIMAL
CHRISTINE BESSENT , DVM
CHRIS BESSENT, DVM, SC
W339 N8120 TOWNLINE RD
OCONOMOWOC , WI 53066
Phone: 262-966-9891
Fax: 262-966-9892
AC AC(IVAS) CH CR CR(AVCA)
Practice Preferences:
SMALL ANIMAL EQUINE
www.herbsmithinc.com (Modality Quick Reference)
NU
Practice Preferences:
SMALL ANIMAL

LISA CLARK , DVM bs
NORTHWOODS VETERINARY CENTER LTD
9920 HWY 22 E
GILLETT , WI 54124
Phone: 920-855-2229
Fax: 920-855-1800
AC ACSU BF CH CR CR(AVCA) CN CM GT NU MA TUI NA
Practice Preferences:
SMALL ANIMAL EQUINE FARM

LYNNE DENNIS , DVM
HARMONY VETERINARY SERVICES, LLC
658 PICKFORD ST
MADISON , WI 53711
Phone: 608-442-7752
Fax: 608-442-9021
AC AC(CHI) CH CN NU WH
Practice Preferences:
SMALL ANIMAL EQUINE FARM HOUSE CALLS
www.harmonyvet.com (Modality Quick Reference)
AC AC(IVAS) BF CH CR CR(AVCA) CR (HOWC) CM HC NU WH
Practice Preferences:
SMALL ANIMAL EQUINE FARM
www.risingsunvet.com (Modality Quick Reference)
AC AC(IVAS) WH QUANTUM TOUCH
Practice Preferences:
SMALL ANIMAL HOUSE CALLS

JODIE GRUENSTERN , DVM CVA
ANIMAL DOCTOR
S 73 W16790 JANESVILLE RD
MUSKEGO , WI 53150
Phone: 414-422-1300
Fax: 414-422-1977
AC AC(CHI) CH CR CR(AVCA) CN CM GT H NU REIKI WH ESSENTIAOL OILS, FLOWER ESSENCES, RAW MEAT DIET, VACCINE TITERS
Practice Preferences:
SMALL ANIMAL
www.animaldoctormuskego.com (Modality Quick Reference)
AC AK BF CR CR(AVCA) CN CM HMTX NAET NU WH NRT
Practice Preferences:
SMALL ANIMAL

MARY HESS , DVM
M & M AROMAPET
5211 KITTYCREST DR
MADISON , WI 53711
Phone: 608-271-6494
AROMATHERAPY, ESSENTIAL OILS
Practice Preferences:
SMALL ANIMAL
drmary.younglivingworld.com (Modality Quick Reference)
AC AC(CHI) BF CR (HOWC) CN GT NU MA PMT REIKI VOM ESSENTIAL OILS
Practice Preferences:
SMALL ANIMAL HOUSE CALLS
www.handsonhealing4animals.com (Modality Quick Reference)
AC AC(IVAS) CH NU
Practice Preferences:
SMALL ANIMAL EQUINE
www.pinpointvet.com (Modality Quick Reference)
AC ACSU BF CR CR(AVCA) BICOM 2000
Practice Preferences:
SMALL ANIMAL EQUINE FARM

REBECCA MCCRACKEN , DVM CVA
2730 247TH AVE
SALEM , WI 53168
Phone: 262-939-5668
AC AC(IVAS) CR CR (HOWC) NU MA
Practice Preferences:
SMALL ANIMAL
www.animaldoctormuskego.com (Modality Quick Reference)
AC AC(CHI)
Practice Preferences:
SMALL ANIMAL

PEDRO RIVERA , DVM
THE HEALING OASIS VETERINARY HOSPITAL
2555 WISCONSIN ST
STURTEVANT , WI 53177
Phone: 262-886-1100
Fax: 262-886-6460
BF CH CR CR (HOWC) CN CT CM GT HC HMTX NU IAT MA MT REIKI WH FENG SHUI
Practice Preferences:
SMALL ANIMAL EQUINE EXOTIC AVIAN
www.thehealingoasis.com (Modality Quick Reference)
AC AC(IVAS) CH CN CM GT NU WH
Practice Preferences:
SMALL ANIMAL

KAREN STRICKFADEN , DVM BS
COUNTRYCARE ANIMAL COMPLEX
4235 ELMVIEW RD
GREEN BAY , WI 54311
Phone: 920-863-3220
AC(IVAS) AK BF CH CR(AVCA) CN CM GT H NAET NU WH BIORESONANCE THERAPY
Practice Preferences:
SMALL ANIMAL EQUINE
www.countrycareac.com (Modality Quick Reference)
AC AC(IVAS) CH CN CM GT NU WH
Practice Preferences:
SMALL ANIMAL HOUSE CALLS
www.glendalevet.com

NorthernAutumn, I had UTI porblems before too and took the cranberry pills. I think I am going to take the bottle with me to the vets to see what they think about them. I tried feeding Chase cranberries and she won't touch them. I will also ask them about something that may help break up the stone.

I am open to trying anything so I would take Chase to an alternative med vet. I appreciate you giving me a list. I am going to see if I can email some of them and see what they have to say and go from there. I am really hoping the vet Chase goes to on Feb 2nd can do something. She has a great background, education and experience so I am keeping my fingers crossed. But if I leave there and don't feel like she is offering me anything I will continue to look and I think that would be a good time to try alternative med.

I spoke to the vet about some of Chase's lab results that have come back. I am picking up copies of the results on Thursday when Chase gets her stitches out so I will post the figures then but this is what she said. The preliminary urine test is negative. She said if nothing has grown by now she is pretty sure nothing will grow. The biopsy of the bladder is consistent with having a bladder stone. The stone caused bladder trauma and the biopsy showed that but it showed no other abnormalities, no neoplasms or anything. The ALP liver test was 8 points above normal. She stated that she is never concerned with that small of an elevation and that it wouldn't cause a stone. She also said the type of stone Chase had is not consistent with liver disease. RBC was a little low and she said that was due to anesthesia Chase was given. Calcium was 12 which she said was good. Glucose was high which she said was due to stress. She said to her everything is normal. She should have the rest of the results back this week and will let me know. Anyone have any insight or opinions on what she said with the current results?

Thanks

You could crush up the cranberry pills and sprinkle them on his wet veggies (assuming the only main ingredient is cranberry). Also, craisins are cranberries (although they do have extra sugar). The frozen ones here are often in the frozen foods here by the frozen fruit (by frozen desserts).

I don't really know what those results mean, but I could imagine that RBC is down due to bleeding and healing from surgery. Do you have the results of the stone's composition yet? How old is Chase, and I'm sure you've thought of this, but what kind of hay/pellets does she get? Sorry if that's already been asked but I'm just looking for any dietary source of calcium.

Don't give up on the frozen cranberries after one or two tries. I gave Patrick some pumpkin on a leaf of greens at least four or five time before he would even try it. Now it is his favorite treat and will run around in a tizz if he smells me getting it ready for the bunners.

I have also discovered that I need to give Luna her cranberries at night. I usually cut two in half and leave them in her cage for her. By morning they are gone. I just figured that no other bun will be able to steal them from her so she is able to take her time snacking on them throughout the night. If she doesn't want them, she won't eat them. Then I will know to keep an eye on her and her appetite.

myheart

I am not giving up on the cranberries yet. I bought three bags and someone or somebun has to eat them and I hate them. So I will keep trying. I did try to cut them in half last night but it didn't help. Then today the vet told me that she was talking to her vet friends and they said cranberry extract is actually better then regular cranberries. Seriously my head is spinning when she tells me something different everyday. She had previously told me it had to be fresh cranberries or Chase would get constipated, so that means no craisins. I think Chase would like those better. The cranberry pills I have are in a capsule so I could open them up and sprinkle them on her food.

They didn't test this stone but the last one was calcium. They said there was no reason to test it but I am taking it with me when I go for the second opinion to see if that vet does feel it should be tested.

Chase is only four. I have had her for about 3 1/2 years. She hasn't been on pellets for most of that time because she is over weight. But not so over weight that it would cause these problems. She gets mostly timothy hay but I do buy meadow, orchard, oat and bermuda sometimes to mix in.

I talked to the vet today we decided that we will test Chase's urine about every two weeks. If we see the mineral count high they will push more fluids through Chase and if that doesn't help they will use a catheter and flush the bladder. We just have to catch it before the stone forms. This is from the current vet though if the vet I am going to on the 2nd has a better idea I will go with that. I just hope whatever we try works. They are going to test Chase's urine on Thrusday when she gets her stitches out and I learnhow to give the sub q fluids which she will get every other day.

The rest of Chase's results came back today and everything is normal.

Latest posts

Back