Had to return a bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BinkyRabbit33

Reaction score
Well about a week ago i got a new bunny...a tinyblack lionhead.... and i noticed her sneezing. Then she started to getwet marks around her nose, so i took her to the vet. He said it was alittle early to tell, but he thinks its fine. I used a lot of money onthat trip. Then a couple days later she got yellow stuff and her pawswere getting matted. I knew it was probably snuffles. I asked my mom ifi could take her to the vet again and she said no. She knew how mucheverything would cost (the vet told her the cost of culture tests andtreatments) and she told me theres no way i can do it, she said i donthave that kind of money to spare. So.......we had to return her to thestore today. I feel terrible, totally broken. They offered a new rabbitand there was an adorable lionhead, but i couldnt. I got some storecredit instead. I really miss her, even after just one week. I wish icould have taken her to the vet, but my mom just doesnt love animalsthe way i do, and i couldnt keep the rabbit until it....maybe died. Soi took her back. Was it the right choice? I really dont know if i didthe right thing or not, but i miss her so much. I cant even look at hercage.

oh hun :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug iknow how you are feeling, my mum used to be like that, i myself cantsay if it was a good ieda or not but at least you wouldnt have seen hersuffer and will be able to remember her how she was, i know it doesntmean much but i hope it helps a little:hug1:hug1:hug1:hug1:hug1:hug1:hug1

Hi! First of all, I want you to know that I'm not criticizing you - ok?

Many times rabbits that are in pet stores are sold to them far far tooyoung and they just wind up having health issues. Mind you - a rabbitfrom a breeder or a rabbit from a shelter or anyplace else can alsohave health issues if it is separated from its mom when it is too young.

I know you miss her - but if you were unable to get her treatment - youprobably did the best thing for you and maybe for her. Watching a sickrabbit get sicker is NOT fun - and getting attached to a rabbit that isill can be heartbreaking.

If you choose to get another rabbit - I would first disinfect thisrabbit's cage with a bleach solution - I'm not sure what the mixtureshould be - I'll try to do a bit of research for you (I use Vanodinebut you probably don't want to spend the money on it and it isn'tavailable in stores - you usually have to order it).

I'm so sorry about your experience and in a way - even though it wasyour choice to return her - you are probably going to grieve over theloss for a bit. Give yourself permission to do so - take the time tocry if you have to - or whatever helps you.

You will know when you are ready for another rabbit.

However, I would encourage you to either go to a reputable breeder (whowill not sell you a rabbit too young) or go to a shelter.Make sure to take the time to play with the rabbits and handle them andsee which one you are drawn to the most.

I am sorry for your loss....but honestly, I think you made the right decision for you.

Peg

Im sorry about what happened.I hope that bunnywas not anywere near your other rabbit.i agree with your mother it wassick when you got it its up too the store too treat it.and its best youdidnt get another bunny because those respitory issues are contagioussoo all there rabbits probably have it.bluebird

Thanks everyone for trying to make me feelbetter. and tinysmom, dont worry, i know exactly where you're comingfrom. Thebunny that the pet store owner offeredmecame to the pet storewhile i had the lionhead,and the new bunny came from a different breeder, but i just didnt wantanother rabbit right now. I missmy lionhead, mostly becauseshe was just so nice. It sucked loving her so much but not being ableto do anything else. Plus i feel like i showed her the good life byspoiling her, and then put her back in the store... If i want anotherrabbit now i'm going to wait until Binky gets old enought to fix, theni'm goign to get her fixed, then get a fixed male from an adoptioncenter. I wanted to go to the adoption center before too, but my momthought it was so much easier to go to the pet store 5 minutes awayinstead of a far-away rescue center. :?

I know how you feel the week after i got mybunny my mom was complaining on how my bunny was a big responsibility!she offered that we return her but i said that i could prove myselfwhich i did and my mom luvs my bun buns soooo much i cant keep her awayfrom the cage. Not everyone can spare soo much money for vet bills!Thats why i practically have to do extra chores to pay for her! Butsits totally worth it!

-April

Latest posts

Back