had neuter today

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishlops

Reaction score
the vet said he would give my dad the pain meds.....
he has had none.. the vets is shut up now...
he is drinking and eatting. but breathing fast and heart beat. and shaking..
what should i do..:nerves1

Can you call another vet and get some pain meds ?
I would guess this is a pain symptom but I really don't want to tell youto do anything yourself .
should be seen by another vet.
or call your other vet answering service

No answering service.... my dad is like he is just a rabbit...:cry2
there is st. elmos.. but i am after ringing them. the message said were out at the momen. we are shut ect.... and then the answer machine is broke. because when i tried it went all funny...

pm ra7751 and ask him if he would think his vets would frown on a babyaspirin as pain med after a neuter. Aspirin thins blood so I'm not sure if it should be given

is he still shaking?

You can give some analgesics (pain relievers) that you may take yourself. Use this website to calculate how much to give. Common ones you may have in the house are ibuprofen (motrin) or aspirin. you will need his weight.
http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rx/drugcalc.html

edit: of course you want to get him to the vet tomorrow to get real pain meds but this is just for now. he could go into shock from untreated pain. :nerves1

yeah maureen is right aspirin is a blood thinner--probably don't want to use it after surgery. hadn't thought of that. try ibuprofen.

Have you given him something to help him stay warm? A heat source? I agree that he does sound in pain, but sometimes warmth can help with that. Not enough, and he definitely needs a vet, but as a short term measure.

Warm a towel in the dryer and then lay him on it. He's probably just cold and shakey from the surgery. You can try to hold him and comfort him also.

It could be the after effects of anesthesia, too.

Don't give any aspirin or analgesics. Their blood thinning effects can be detrimental after surgery.

Hopefuly they gave IV pain meds after surgery.

As Pennie said....warm uptowels in the dryer and wrap him up in them...one to lay on and one over him maybe.

I spent most of a night warming and trading out towels for Chippy after her last surgery.

Yep. Bo loved being held and warmed when he had his neuter. Anesthesia causes that in people too..... he will be fine.

If he's eating and drinking, I would hesitate togive aspirin or ibuprofen without a rabbit-vet's input. I'm wondering if it is "just"an aftereffect from anesthesia. Do you know what was used?

If you know how to take his temperature and he'll let you, that would tell you a lot about how he's doing and how aggressively he might need to be warmed up. The dryer-warmed towels are a great idea ... you might also try holding/cuddling him to give warm him up and give him emotional comfort.

Good luck!

Kathy Smith

I would not suggest using OTC pain meds....and certainly NOT aspirin. Some of the NSAIDs are quite prone to causing gastric ulcers and other non-desirable issues.. I would get him warm. Probably a little shocky. Warm towels. If youhave an electric heating pad.....use iton lowest setting. I usually cover the pad with a thick towel and putthe pad under part of a carrier. Have some area that is not on heat. Monitor at alltimes since itcan burn even on low. Don't sweat the food right now. But make sure he has plenty of water.

Randy

Flashy wrote:
Have you given him something to help him stay warm? A heat source? I agree that he does sound in pain, but sometimes warmth can help with that. Not enough, and he definitely needs a vet, but as a short term measure.
he has my micro wave thingy bottle thing. wraped in old clothes.

krsbunny wrote:
If he's eating and drinking, I would hesitate togive aspirin or ibuprofen without a rabbit-vet's input. I'm wondering if it is "just"an aftereffect from anesthesia. Do you know what was used?

If you know how to take his temperature and he'll let you, that would tell you a lot about how he's doing and how aggressively he might need to be warmed up. The dryer-warmed towels are a great idea ... you might also try holding/cuddling him to give warm him up and give him emotional comfort.

Good luck!

Kathy Smith
i was cuddling him. he is drinking. peeing. no eatting.......or pooping. i have a syrine already... if none by tomorrow.....
:cry1:
he is not (well seemingly)not in pain. chirppy and a little "hoppy".
i know he is peeing. he just did over me. he is not shaking.

Back