Guy's lost weight

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
Am off 2 the vets with both buns shortly. Ebony needs her Myxx. vaccination booster. I will be asking the vet to weigh Guy also.

My little Guy has never been overweight but was generally comfortably "padded". In the past few months he's grown length ways but is still eating the same amount as before, so he feels bonier on the shoulders and hipsnow :(

He remains full of spirit or "bunny beans" tho, so altho I'm keeping tabs on his breathing sounds (since he had an infection in January) Idon't think the weight loss has a sinister cause.

Will update this post later with outcomes.

Jo xx

Thankyou both :)

Ebony's vaccination went fine. The vet suggested a change of diet to maintain her health which is currently ok. A swap from mixed rabbit food to pellets is in order, then a reduction of pellet quanitityso she eats more hay.

GuyHAS lost weight. In Jan 2009 he weighed exactly 2kg, today he weighed 1.76kg. It was identifed he has some dioareah (sp) which was most likely caused by the 3 courses of anti-biotics needed to treat the resp. tract infection. The medication that helped clear up his breathing upset the delicate good-bad bacteria balance in his gut. We have sachets of pro-biotics to help rememdy this anda plan to get him eating only hay for a while to stabilise his pooping.

Also, I need to clean his bottom up to twice a day, he's not gonna love me :p

Jo xx

Well, it was a good catch wqith him, and hopefully you'll see an improvement soon.

His poop consistency has definitely improved, I noticed that within two days of him having the 'Bio-Lapis' probiotic added to his water :)

Getting him to eat more healthily (a swap to all in one pellets from a rabbit mix where he picked out his favourites and left the rest) is not going well. I was sure he barely touched the small amount I put in yesterday. Today I filled his food bowl right up so I'd be able to tell how much had been eaten, and he's had none of them. He is probably nibbling on hay but I'm concerned about his stomach. Silly Guy risking starvation because the new food seems boring. :nerves1

The next vets appt is on Thursday morning.

Jo x

P.S: Ebony seems to have accepted the change from rabbit mix to pellets pretty well. The next step with her will be a time limit on the availability of the pellets so she eats more hay each day (as per vets recommendation).

You should probably do the switch gradually, perhaps over a week or two. Too rapid can cause GI upset and a complete refusal to eat.

Latest posts

Back