Gus is gassy...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it's been 4 days since I started Gus on the probiotics and I think I'm seeing improvement. He got a few pieces of parsley and cilantro at breakfast and he didn't seem to get gassy! Yay! Then later this morning I gave him a piece of carrot and his tummy seemed to bloat up a bit after that. So I gave him some simethicone (how he LOVES it mixed with juice!) and now he's been running around here like a crazy rabbit! So I think that's a good indication. ;)

Anyway, will continue to give him a few greens, but hold off on any carrot for a few more days (this was the first time I've given him any carrot since at least Monday, possibly even earlier).

Rue

Thanks! I was really worried there was some other underlying problem. But it looks like the probiotics are going to sort out the issue. I think he's good with the greens now. Just gotta build up his tolerance to sugary stuff again. :p

Rue

Thanks Rue

Dobby is doing a lot better. He's not as tolerant of some greens. And with reading here, the library, and observing, I finally realized what was going on and what we were doing to bring on the bouts of gas. He did have different size poos and I did observe him pushing his belly to the floor of his crate.

What we did was start giving the boys the veggies in the morning. Brussell sprouts, broccoli which are gassy. He would then gobble down the veggies and not eat his pellets. Thus bringing on the gas pains. And grumpy moods.

So we have now started giving veggies and fruit in the evening. Making sure just a smiggin of the brussell sprouts and broccoli for Dobby. Maybe a little more parsley which he loves. This then makes Dobby eat his pellets and hay and his tummy is ready for veggies and fruit.

Thanks Rue. Appreciate the info and Gus, sorry baby you are gassy but looks like Mom got you feeling better and eating a smiggin of greens.

K :)

Ooh, yeah. Gus can't tolerate either broccoli or brussel sprouts. He swells up like a balloon! Cabbage and bok choy can also cause him gas, but not nearly as bad.

Are you feeding other leafy greens besides the broccoli and brussel sprouts? Broccoli and brussel sprouts aren't actually leafy greens (though they are green!). They're the flowers of the plants and so they're going to be richer than the leaves (hence more likely to cause gas).

Here's a list of leafy greens:

Arugula
Beet greens
Carrot tops
Radish tops
Cucumber leaves
Endive
Ecarole
Frisee Lettuce
Kale (all types)
Mache
Mustard greens
Red or green lettuce
Romaine lettuce
Spinach
Spring greens
Sprouts
Swiss chard
Turnip greens
Dandelion greens
Mint (any variety)
Basil (any variety)
Parsley
Watercress
Wheatgrass
Chicory
Raspberry leaves
Cilantro
Radicchio
Bok Choy
Fennel (the leafy tops as well as the base)
Borage leaves
Dill leaves
Yu choy

Hope that helps!

Rue

funnybunnymummy wrote:
Ooh, yeah. Gus can't tolerate either broccoli or brussel sprouts. He swells up like a balloon! Cabbage and bok choy can also cause him gas, but not nearly as bad.

Are you feeding other leafy greens besides the broccoli and brussel sprouts? Broccoli and brussel sprouts aren't actually leafy greens (though they are green!). They're the flowers of the plants and so they're going to be richer than the leaves (hence more likely to cause gas).

Here's a list of leafy greens:

Arugula
Beet greens
Carrot tops
Radish tops
Cucumber leaves
Endive
Ecarole
Frisee Lettuce
Kale (all types)
Mache
Mustard greens
Red or green lettuce
Romaine lettuce
Spinach
Spring greens
Sprouts
Swiss chard
Turnip greens
Dandelion greens
Mint (any variety)
Basil (any variety)
Parsley
Watercress
Wheatgrass
Chicory
Raspberry leaves
Cilantro
Radicchio
Bok Choy
Fennel (the leafy tops as well as the base)
Borage leaves
Dill leaves
Yu choy

Hope that helps!

Rue

Thanks Rue for the information. Definitely helps. All the ones bold is what my boys have tried and had no problems with. Can't wait to the Spring. Have plans for our Rabbit Garden for lots of these. Also have a clover patch that the boys will really like in the front.

But now I know how Dobby reacts to Brussell Sprouts and Broccoli. Also definitely the time of day when to best give him his veggies AND make sure he eats his hay and pellets.

Also know what gas is all about with bunnies. And what to look for. Thanks again.

K:)

funnybunnymummy wrote:
Glad to help. :)

Just be careful not to feed spinach too often (ditto radish tops). It's been known to cause issues with the kidneys and bladder.

Rue

Thanks so much. Will watch the spinach and go lightly. And probably will skip the radish tops. Thanks again.

K:)

Latest posts

Back