Gum Overgrowth In Incisor Teeth, Bulging Eyes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiliMilo

Reaction score
Hello, i'm new in this forum.

Please noted that english is not my first language so im sorry if there's any confusion in the future beforehand. I lived in Indonesia, a country placed in Asia to be precise. Indonesia is a developing country so our health care and doctors specialized in small mammals is rare. So, my rabbit named Milo. She's currently about 6 and 4/5 months old. She had been exposed to pasteurella over a year ago, the signs she had were white mucus in her nose, constant watery eyes and occassional sneezing/coughing. She also had abscess twice in her paw. Because there were no facility to ensure the test were accurate to determined the exact bactery she had, my doctor just prescribed antibiotics and see if the symptom get better. Eventually she got better from all the symptomps i've mentioned before, but the watery eye keeps on going until now. Around December last year, i noticed that her left eye got bigger than usual. I brought her to a different doctor that were said was "ophtalmic doctor", notice that rabbit in my country are rare animals to keep as a pet so this doctor had rare cases about rabbit eyes to begin with. She said that this "bigger eye" are no longer visual by testing her eyes to certain light, and she tested another eye. The problem is she can't be sure to determined what my rabbit had. She said either it was glaucoma or cataracts. So this problem is once again unsolved because the lack of expertise in the field. In the beginning, it's just one of her eye that bigger, but now it's both. But one eye is still visual, and the other got bigger than they were in December.

Remember that i said, she had URI in the past. But now i caught her occassionally cough with no mucus or wet nose like before. It's not a fit, but a single cough but happened often. So i got her to the same doctor when i treated her pasteurella before, because i was worried that it might be thymoma. Because now both of her eyes are bulging, but no third eyelid prolapse. Noticed that one of her eye bulging more than the other and it's constant, not just when she's looking down or something. So the doctor did xray of her abdomen and said that her xray looked normal, nothing tumourish like thymoma in her lungs. I included some pics for you guys to analyze. So that doctor just prescribed me multivitamin, immune supplement, and something she called "cough medicine" to help her airways if there was a phlegm or anything. She told me to nebulize her once a day with bisolvon, saline solution and gentamicin, but she won't gave me her pasteurella antibiotics because she need to see the situation for about a week later with this medication she gave me. Now when i gave her medicine, i noticed something strange in her teeth. It looked like the photos i attached. What could it be? Yesterday i've gone to the vet, but my home is very far away from the vet i usually go to. I suppose that i need to reduce the stress from travelling to that vet again. Is something in her teeth is concerning and need immidiate attention to get her to the vet? What could this possibly be? This looked like her gum are overgrowth to her incisor. I've read online that this might be abscess in her root. Could this be the cause to her cough because her airways were blocked by this infection? Once again, even exotics vet in here are not reliable. So your answer are the most reliable thing to me to act on my own.

Attachments

• 20210531_150112.jpg
    20210531_150112.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210531_150112.jpg
    20210531_150112.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20210531_150229.jpg
    20210531_150229.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210531_151040.jpg
    20210531_151040.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Lolo 30-05-2021.jpg
    Lolo 30-05-2021.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 10
Oh i forgot to note that Milo weighs for about 3.6 kgs. My last vet visit she weighs for about 3.3 or 3.4 kgs. So she gained weight for a bit.

Protruding eyes can also be the sign of a retrobulbar abscess. With your rabbits previous history of a respiratory infection, I would be very concerned about this possibility, that the infection spread from the nasal cavity and created an abscess pocket behind the eyes. It could also account for the odd occurrence with the gums, if the abscess is causing distention and swelling around that area of the head. There may even be an infected tooth that is the cause of all of this infection.

(contains graphic medical related photos)
https://www.vetstream.com/treat/lap...se,unilateral exophthalmos and globe exposure.
Has he vet ever done head xrays? If not, that would be the next step, or just go to straight antibiotics if you don't think head xrays will prove at all helpful with your vet not being very experienced. But I definitely would want to get systemic antibiotics started right away. I would opt for azithromycin or chloramphenicol, or penicillin g procaine/benzathine injections. And note that pen g should ONLY ever be given by injection, NEVER orally. I would also want my rabbit on the anti inflammatory meloxicam/metacam, at the dose of 0.6mg/kg, twice a day to start, to help get any inflammation under control and help with pain management as well. Then also monitor your rabbits eating closely, because if your rabbit isn't eating well then you will also need to start regular syringe feeds.

https://www.vgr1.com/metacam/
There was a member on here a while back, who's rabbit had a retrobulbar abscess. Surgery wasn't an option so they tried pen g procaine/benzathine injections based on the protocol in this study I'll link to below. The abscess cleared up completely with this treatment, and the rabbit didn't have a problem with it again. So this may be something to consider.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/jawab...n Effective,acidic environment of the stomach.
http://people.umass.edu/~jwmoore/bicillin/bicillin.htm
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/emergency-please-help-asap.79227/

Thank you so much for your reply. I will update her condition as soon as i change her current doctor for more through examination. I hoped her condition could be managed without any need for operation. I'd like to ask what could it mean when the other eye getting bigger as well but not as big as the other? Does that mean that both of her eyes now got abscess? Or is it something else?

If there is an abscess, it would mean the abscess is somewhere in the head behind the orbital areas. And for one eye to be bulging more than the other means that it's spread more on the one side and putting more pressure behind it, so is protruding more.

For the orbital abscess condition, what are the treatment option? And how about mortality rate of this disease?

And i forgot to ask, do incisor teeth infection also caused retrobulbar abscess? Or is it always the molars that caused the problem?

Back