Guilt/worry about going on vacations - do you get it?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spikethebunny

Reaction score
So, I have to go away for a few days in July and although hubby is staying with Spike, I am concerned about leaving him. He has been having little bouts of gas more and more lately (which I posted about a few weeks ago) so I worry he may get sick while I am not there. Hubby knows how to treat these bouts (and is actually sometimes better at it than I am), but he works evenings which is when Spike is most used to being social with me. I'm worried he will be upset I am gone. Hubby is also not comfortable picking up Spike, so I worry about an emergency and him not being able to do anything.

It has gotten to the point where I have been invited to a long weekend away later in the summer and have declined because I don't want to leave again. And I feel like I cannot plan trips.

Does anyone else go through this crazy anxiety? How do you get past it? Any tips? My family keeps telling me not to let Spike dictate my life, but then I feel guilty thinking about going away.

Am I the only one?

YOU'RE NOT ALONE! Welcome to We Never Vacation because of Our Pets, or WNVBOP; we're making shirts next week!

I'm actually going out of town the last weekend of June for Friday to Sunday. I know its not that long, but I'll be worried.
Seriously though, you're not alone. I worry all the time about leaving them when we go places. We never go anywhere, so its usually never a problem. But its hard to go places! I have chickens, cats, a dog and a rabbit. So its hard for me to do anything without worrying about them and if they're being taken care of properly. We went to Pittsburgh in the beginning of April and I had a sick hen, I was a nervous wreck the whole time we were there! I was sure she was going to die but she actually made improvements. I made my parents give me updates every time they checked on them!
I also worry about the Ellie not having enough hay when I'm gone. I worried that my parents didn't take me seriously enough about the hay and wouldn't give her enough hay, but I was wrong there was enough hay!

I just make sure whenever I leave that I leave a really detailed list of the things the animals need. And I make sure that I leave a list of what to do if things go wrong and make sure that the first aid stuff is readily available. But since its your husband, you shouldn't have a problem!

Just try not to worry to much and ask for hourly updates about whats going on with Spike! LOL

God I'm a super worrier! I am going to Yellowstone for a week with the hubby the end of July and am petrified to leave my little guy with my friend. My friend has taken super good care of all my pets when I'm gone, he even read a book to my bird so he would be less lonely, but I still worry! I'm going to leave a super long detailed list of everything they need broken down by day, and then a "what to do if..." list with the vet's number.

I think it is totally normal to worry about our beloved companion pets when we must leave them for more than a few hours. Glad you have your husband to take care of Spike. Your hubby knows your day to day care of Spike & knows how much you love him (& hubby too! lol). I'm sure Spike will be fine with the familiar hubby to take care of him & give him a little company while you are gone.

I don't get vacations so it is my animal family time that helps me relax & recover from life's stresses. My parents used to be able to take care of my pets when I did have to be away with work but they can no longer do it. So I feel terrified to have to find a "pet sitter." I also have birds & so many people are afraid of those birdy beaks! lol Rightfully so! lol I have some friends with birds, dogs & tortoise who have an RV & take the whole gang with them on their vacation! That is the way I think I would enjoy a vacation! Guess I will continue my home vacations with all my beloved animal/bird family! lol

Anyway, hope you have a great time, with little worrying (I know you will still worry a bit.) & all's well with your Spike & hubby! You need to update us about your trip & how things go with Spike & your hubby! Be sure you leave hubby a detailed list of daily routine for Spike, where everything is & all the emergency info just in case. I'm sure Spike & hubby will be fine!

We had an excellent vet that we would board the rabbits and bird with. The rabbits always had lots of visitors and run of the back room since Kai is so unique. The bird would get to sit up front and ride around with the techs when the clinic was slow. Someone would come and take care of the cats and the dogs always go with us. I STILL WORRY!! I call the vet and the sitter everyday for updates. I'm deployed now and while my husband is just as experienced with everyone as I am he still doesnt do everything right. Or love them enough. Or clean their pen just right. Becasue he simply isnt me. So welcome to the club and dont feel to bad about it.

Everyone worries about their furr babies. Its always scary to leave them behind even if its only for a day. I usually don't go on vacations. And I've only had Ash for a year and haven't ever gone on a vacation while I have him, but I can imagine how scary it must be leaving them.

Oh I am sooo glad I am not the only one! My family was really starting to make me think there was something wrong with me for worrying about my little guy. My family has always had dogs so they are used to "board it and go on vacation". Spike is a bunny that gets very upset when he is taken from his surroundings. I'm not sure I could board him. If hubby comes with me, we do have a "bunny sitter" who comes and feeds and plays with him a couple times a day (and puts up with my continual "is he okay???" texts), but it is still hard.

Thanks for making me feel like I am not alone!

Back