Guess I'm going to be a rat "foster grandma"....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No stinkin' babies yet, sheesh :grumpy:.

Two days went by where her belly is massive and her nipples are extremely visible. HOPEFULLY today really is the day! It is pretty quiet in the animal room, besides the bunnies sometimes running in their cages when they get scared of a noise....making a lot of noise. I can't put her anywhere else in the house, as fear the cats just won't leave her alone.

:waiting:

Bo B Bunny wrote:
:waiting:

Tell me about it :rollseyes.

I have never raised bubs before, so I am now getting pretty excited. The only rat babies I have "raised" was Ralphie's litter...which was just 4 babies and their were of weaning age...mom weaned them herself.

Mint has been in her igloo all day, so can we say yet again....*HOPEFULLY* TONIGHT!

I guess to pass the time, we should pick out names! Probably a "Candy/Spice/Sweets/Food/Deserts" theme....as Mint is well, "Mint" and then we have "Spice", who is her bond mate. Keep in mind most of the babies will probably be of light color....ehh...mostly PEW is what I am preparing for, anyway!

Two babies are definitely going to be named "Pancake" and "Poptart"...after two bunnies from 3bunnies Rabbit Rescue.

How exciting! :D:D Good luck with them Amy! And if I lived close to you I would have a couple of PEWs, I think they are really adorable. :)

undergunfire wrote:
Two babies are definitely going to be named "Pancake" and "Poptart"...after two bunnies from 3bunnies Rabbit Rescue.

You should try to name them all as breakfast type things since you'll use those two.

Just a few I thought of:

• Bagel
  • Muffin
  • Biscut
  • Trixy (cereal)
  • Souffle (like a breakfast souffle)
  • Donut
  • Home Fry (lol)
  • Sausage
  • Bacon
  • Ham
  • Benedict (like the eggs)
  • granola
  • Chex (that's in my horse's name lol)
I hope you have news soon!

Awesome suggestions, Bo B :biggrin2:. I love them all!

Ohhh, Munchkin for the runt....as in Dunkin' Donut's Munchkins ;).

Now, I am no expert, but I do believe Mint is in labor right now. She is in her real nest in a corner. She is breathing rather quickly, keeps laying down then spinning into another position, and keeps licking towards her private area. Woooah, man, you can see those babies poking her today!

So, I am 90% positive we will have some babies by tonight :).

Ack how exciting! :shock: I didn't know rats had such large litters, hopefully she doesn't have too many. How long until baby rats are furry and mobile?

Oh man I'm feeling nervous for you, hope it goes ok :pullhair:.

I WAS SOOO RIGHT!!!

SHE IS GIVING BIRTH NOW :biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:.

I went in to check and saw blood and babies moving. I won't be going in there to check for quite a few more hours...I don't want to bother her!

:pullhair:

Ok my guess...

20!

10 boys

10 girls

Last count six or seven.

Thanks, you guys :biggrin2:!

Alicia is evil guessing 20 babies...if she was in Arizona I would drive over and punch her :cool:. Hehe.

I am going to go check on her again in a little bit. I don't want to bother her too much. Tomorrow after work is when I will handle the babies. I will try to lure her away from them today, though, for a definite baby count!

All I could see was light colored skin where the eyes are, so they are probably all going to have pink eyes. Some babies look darker than another.

undergunfire wrote:
Alicia is evil guessing 20 babies...if she was in Arizona I would drive over and punch her :cool:. Hehe.

I still say 20. :p

I still see only 6 or 7, but it is hard to tell because they are nursing right now. I saw milk bellies and one baby has the biggest milk belly ever, lol!

I found out that I can handle them tonight, so I will do that later on, like 6 hours from now. I will also get some pictures!

Latest posts

Back