Guardian Cat?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyBabyBunnies

Reaction score
I have yet another story to tell, lol.

Yesterday I put my bunnies out and was out there working and they werefine. I was getting thirsty so went inside to make some juice and wentinto the basement to get a some juice mix. All I heard when I went intothere was growling, hissing, and meowing like a cat makes when it getsin a fight with another animal. This was right outside the cold storagewindow but I couldn't see what was going on.

My heart dropped as I thought one of my bunnies had gotten out and theneighbors cat had gotten a hold of it and was fighting fortheir life. I raced up the stairs and out the back door faster than Iever have in my life, ran down the deck steps and around the side of myhouse to see 2 cats fighting. I chased them off and then immediatelywent to check on my bunnies. Both were laying stretched out and fine.

It hit me, the neighbors black and white cat was protecting mybunnies. How do I know this? Well in order for the cat to have gottento the side of my house from her house, she would have had togo right passed my bunnies, not to mention it's happened before I justnever thought anything of it.

The neighbors cat wont let anything near my bunnies that would harmthem and I was quite shocked to discover this. I've seen her sitting inmy neighbors back yard just staring at Mocha but never trying to goafter him. This is the same cat he attacked and was playing with theother day.

You should see all the hair on the side of my house from the fight. Andnow I'm finding myselfthankful to a cat. lol, itsounds funny butI know the other cat would have attacked mybunnies had it the chance. Bad mommy for leaving her babies outsidealone even for a second.

What a great story! Thanks, Laura!!

That'll teach thatinvader.

-Carolyn

Wow. That's pretty amazing. I wonder how catsview larger rabbits? They're too big to be prey, don't act like apredator...perhaps just funny shaped cats?

~M

m.e. wrote:
Wow.That's pretty amazing. I wonder how cats view larger rabbits? They'retoo big to be prey, don't act like a predator...perhaps just funnyshaped cats?

~M
I don't know, my boys aren't that big after all. They're only 6 lbs. Ithink, if it's possible, that Mocha earned respect from the catby attacking it a while back. I may sound nuts but, lol, you neverknow! I think cats are just naturally "programmed" that rabbits areprey, just naturally know they are, big or small, I don't reallybelieve they mistake them for other cats as cats here are veryterritorial and would be fighting with my boys all the time if that wasthe case. Who knows! Would be interesting to find out. As for now, theonly thing I'm sure about is that Mocha has yet to discover he's arabbit.

Well, my rabbits are around 6 pounds, but my catisn't an ounce over 7 (she's very petite), and she's always been waryof my rabbits. Her eyes go all wide.

I know that at the shelter, we let the rabbit roam around the educationroom, and we'll often let kittens out too. The kittens treat the rabbitas another (possibly larger) sibling, and the rabbit treats them likethings to be licked and played with.

Species confusion all around. :D

~M

Wow! :shock: This is a GREAT story! What a wonderful cat!!! :D

Mocha the Fearless inspires all kinds ofrespect!

my dog wants to play with angie and lick her. shelost her puppies reallyyoung :(and it seems likeshes always looking for a new baby to look after.

my cat nosey doesnt seem to care about angie, but when he sees her outsometimes acts as though he is getting ready to pounce.:shock::?

mango, my runt cat (who seems much thicker, bigger fatter, and lesssoft than before i got angie) is afraid of everything. if angie was outand moved at all, he was off like the black flash. lately, he's had theguts to come into her room, (while shes caged), and watch her (notpounce ready like nosey) curiosly. when i call his name or he noticesim in the room, he turns and walks briskly out of the room as if to say"whatever, its not that interesting.I was doneinhere anyways." but its obvious that hes dying to understandwhat she is.:cool:

all three of them are so jealous of her though. especially mango, whono longer gets to lounge day in and day out on my fleece blanket and inmy fabric papasan chairs.

i think its interesting how each of them reacts to her differently.:dude:

Latest posts

Back