Grumpy Grunting

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pandorly

Charlatan
Reaction score
My little dude Banzaii, while playful and happy outside of his hutch, is a cranky bugger sometimes. If I put my hand in the hutch, like to change his food or litter box, he'll get ridiculously territorial and lunge for my hand. He's never bitten me, and I mostly try to do any maintenance when he's not around.

But lately, the moment I open the door (even to let them out and play) he'll grunt loudly and sometimes he even lunges for the other bunny (Biggi), sometimes biting her. It's as if he's punishing her for my actions! I usually give a time out when he does this, just leave him in the hutch for a few minutes to calm him down... But I'm not sure that's really going to help (and I'm worried it'll make him more resentful of poor little Biggi, who wouldn't hurt anyone!).

Any suggestions as to what might be causing this sort of temper? I'd love some input, especially if anyone has seen this type of behaviour before.

Oh, and he's about 11 months old neutered since December. He was always a bit cranky; he was born in a house with a yippie dog and roughly handled by children, possibly harassed by bigger rabbits when he was small.

I've heard that pain can cause behaviour changes in rabbits, when was his last check up? Is he still eating and drinking as normal?

Have you made any changes to his environment lately that may have upset him? I had a doe that was always aggressive, but if I moved her cage or rearranged it, she would become worse.

Is it possible that he is getting frightened as you put your hand in the cage?

That's all the advice I can offer :) I'm sure someone much more knowledgeable will come and help. I hope all goes well, keep us updated.

Rabbits can change behaviour due to being in pain. Have you moved his cage or changed sow thing in his cage? I had a buck who wasn't natured randomly attack me when I went to feed him (he has never done that before) he did it because I changed the place were his bowl was I moved it back and he was fine :)

You said he has always been a bit grumpy... It could just be his personality or something he has adopted from being in his old house.

Hope I helped and good luck :)

Yeah, that's probably it actually. Up until May, the hutch was inside but I moved out out to the back garden and the grunting started gradually after that. I'm making a big effort to spend lots of time around them during the day and petting him in the hutch several times a day to reassure him that I won't always be putting my hand in the hutch to change the environment. He was a very happy bunny all day today, binkying around the garden. He's a great eater too, polished off a whole plate of pea shoots and chard and baby spinach as well as a load of hay and pellets.

Latest posts

Back