Grumpy Bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
AAAhhhh, my Bunny boxed me for the first time and was quite grumpy.
I had to give her to my friend to look after for a week as I went away. My friend has often visited my Bunny Bella at home, and Bella is fine around my friend.
My friend has other Bunnies as well, but Bella was set up in a different pen away from the other Bunnies, as I knew she wouldn't do too well around the other Buns. My friend is a wonderful Bunny caregiver and I saw the area myself where Bella was, it was wonderful.

My friend bought her back Yesterday afternoon, but before Bella got back I had sort of re-arranged her pen, as I was wanting to give her more space, and I also gave it a really good clean.
Yesterday Bella just seemed a bit unsure of the new arrangement and was kind of just sitting there, I gave her strokes and talked to her, and she seemed semi-calm,

This morning, I went to pet her, she lunged at me, boxed me, and tried to bite me.

I'm not sure if it is because she was moved to my friend's place then back to me and to a re-arranged pen.
I also tried to clean up her litter area which I try and do every morning, but she got grumpy at me again. I'm thinking I just need to not touch anything for a couple of days just to let her re-scent everything, and let her feel more comfortable.

The worst part was that she was almost acting like I was a stranger, well not quite, I think she was more signaling, "Give me space".

So any ideas are appreciated,
Shall I just give her space for a couple of days, and just feed her, talk to her, and give her treats?
I just need some ideas to settle her, she seems a bit unsettled

Oh, and I have to tell you she is possibly a couple of weeks pregnant,

Being pregnant can alone be an explanation for a sudden change of behavior and moodiness. Giving her time to settle back in may help, but there's also a chance it won't make any difference. I had a pregnant doe that was the grumpiest little thing. Once she had her kits, a complete and immediate change to the sweetest doe ever. So it may just be hormonal with your rabbit.

Also, a week of being gone can be enough time for a rabbit to pretty much forget you. Even a day being gone can sometimes affect a rabbits bond. So it may take some time and effort, to work on restoring a trusting relationship with your bun.

Thank you
Yea, I was guessing it's a mixture of being pregnant and being away from me for so long.
It's sad though, I've had her since she was a baby and we had a good bond, I didn't want to be away from her for that long, because I was worried it would happen, but I couldn't do much about it.

Oh well, I'll have to build that bond again,

Do you have any idea what I can do to help her? I know I can give her, her favorite treat, which is some apple, but any other ideas on what I can do.

I've had other Buns before, but I've always been around them since they were babies, and I've never gone from them for a week, so yea this is my first time rebonding with one of my adult Buns.

Latest posts

Back