grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreamgal042

Reaction score
Somehow, Ivory has recently acquired a verystrange taste. He enjoys to lick and actually injest the used contentsof his litterbox. Is rabbit waste harmful to them? how can I figure outif my litter is non-toxic? should i take him to the vet to see if thisis causing him any problems? What can I do to prevent this? he's stilleating his food. btw, the litter I use isCarefresh Pet Bedding.

well..from the carefresh site it looks like it'sjust wood fiber, so the litter itself wouldnt be toxic.. at least iwouldnt think it would..my buns love to chew and eat on wood sticksetc.. (not to mention baseboards..ahem..)

i've heard of people using a grate on top of the litter so urine goesdown into the litter, and poos stay on top of the grate... your buncouldnt eat the litter that way..

he's not just eating the litter, he's eating thepee and poo too. plus, my litterbox is like a pyramid with halfmissing. it fits into the corner of the cage, so it'd be hard toinstall a grate onto it. His cage has a grated bottom, but if thelitterbox isnt in there, he sometimes uses his foodbowl as a litterbox.

bumpity bump bump

thank you two for your responses, but it doesnt really help me. ivory'sdoing what I thought he would: using his food bowl as a litterbox, andim sure eating urine-covered pellets is no better than urine-coveredlitter. someone please help! :(

I think bunnies are supposed to eat some of their poop, since its being digested twice. Don't discourage him.

" -Bunnies need to digest some foods twice therefore have two differenttypes of droppings. They eat the softer droppings (cecetropes) andshould not be discouraged as it's normal and necessary for the rabbit."

Oh, I think if there are no signs of this hurtinghim, you can't do anything to stop him from it. It is supposed to be anatural instinct.

I don't knowdreamgal, I think I'd be a bit concerned too. I think I rememberCarolyn talking about urine covered hay and bacteria, clean food, etc.I think you have reason to be concerned. Especially if this is a newbehavior for him. Like Anna mentioned he is supposed to eat part of hispoo, but you knew that. Sebastian went through a brief stage where hesat in his hay bowl and poo'd and pee'd in it. It didn't last long. Itwas right after his neuter actually. If you don't get the answers youare looking for, PM Pamnock and Carolyn. There have been a lot of newposts lately and it's been hard to keep up with them.

Raspberry

Dreamgal:

Jaden went through this stage too-I was quite worried-but the emphasiswith my story is STAGE..she switched around hereating/bathroom disposal receptacles (I kept a very close eye on it,and would clean out the food asap) Although the grate is a good idea,one of mine would have nothing to do with it and would fling it aroundand off because it blocked her from getting to the smorgasbord at theend of the day. That still doesn't answer your questionthough,goingback to one of them though~eating bothpoops (soft and hard) is perfectly okay. I am hoping someone can answeryour question about the urine pellets though.

Even the dog here (if he gets to one before me) will snatch up a rabbitdropping like its the worlds BEST dog treat. Lick his chops happily andmove along.

Cher

Wow I hope thats not bad for your bun! I knoweatting some poopies is ok for them Stitch eats her soft ones shesometimes eats the hard ones that are on the sofa like OOPS Hope mommydoesn't notice.

The Urine I might be kinda concerned about hopefully one of the rabbitGurus can help with this. I clean out Stitches Litterboxeveryday I never noticed her doing that but I do work 8hrs a day too sowho knows what she's doing when Im not home.

Marie

Latest posts

Back