Grrrr!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tofu_pup

Reaction score
I had Cain neutered on the same day as his father about a week ago. His father is FANTASTIC! No more pills and he is so well behaved. Cain is the exact opposite. He leaves his pills everywhere and he has become so aggressive. He is charging the bars of his cage when the other rabbits are allowed to run free. Not to mention his spraying! There are arches of urine all over the floor and walls. If he sprays me one more time on the face...:XWhen will he start acting like a neutered rabbit?!

I think it can take a while, although I've only had girls spayed. It took Pipp weeks to calm down and getting her litter habits straightened out.

That said (and not to alarm you), you do have to watch for complications.

This is from a recent study:

"There is a growing interest in rabbits as pets, and many pet rabbits are neutered to prevent pregnancy and avoid behavioral issues. Behaviors such as mating and aggression in neutered rabbits may suggest incomplete gonadectomy, adrenal disease, or other conditions. Information on adrenal steroid concentrations, including progestins and androgens, in neutered rabbits is not readily available in the literature.

I wouldn't worry for a month or so. Poor bunny could very well just be very angry with you!

sas :bunnybutt:

How old is Cain?

Even though he's been neutered, if he's still young then he's going to go through his terrible teens regardless.

I tend to find that rabbits don't really calm down until at least a year old. Normally you will really start to see a difference in personality in between a year and two years. Zeke has started to calm down a lot, and he just turned one is September. He now lets me pet him and isn't constantly in "must move" mode anymore, he actually sleeps!

Don't give up on Cain. Give him time and patience. You may need to do some work with him to help him over his aggression once he's healed. Believe it or not, but Wildfire was very aggressive when I first got her. She lunged and scratched, and hated being held. I worked with her, and in about six months she turned into a big mushy pile cuddly love bunny.

I would give him his peace for now. Let the hormones dissipate for a month or two, then start working on him if he's not showing improvement.

--Dawn

Cain is about a year old now and I'm keeping an eye on him. He's not aggressive toward me; I just keep getting caught in the line of fire. I guess I'll give him some time until his sutures are removed and see how he can handle the other rabbits then.

It really does take time for hormone levels to drop - and for buns to get through their "teen" stage, as others have said.

I think it's human nature to want a quick fix for problems (in our own lives, not just with our pets), when in reality, they're quite few and far between.

Love and patience are the key, as in so many other aspects of our lives. So hang in there, and let him know that you love him!

Back