Grrr...bunny ads...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maherwoman

Reaction score
It's amazing to me how many people either give away, or sell bunnies for Easter, and suggest such aweful ideas for them!!

I was looking through the Penny Saver for my area, and saw a "freebunnies" ad. Makes me wonder why they're giving themaway. Not only that, but some of the ads online suggest"excellent for 4-H or fair displays"!!! What?! It'samazing to me how many ads say "Easter Bunnies" as theirtitle!! Don't these people know anything aboutbuns? Do they care?? There's one lady selling fourpurebred Minirexes that are FOUR WEEKS OLD!! Isn't that waytoo young?! Others are selling other pure breeds for $10!!

Oh, how I wish we had a huge house...so I could rescue these poor bunsfrom going to horrible homes, or getting owners that loseinterest. Poor babies...GRRR!!! :X

yeah i know what you mean,over here in adelaidewe have our local paper called the messenger which is delivered everyweek and guaranteed there are bunnies advertised for free to goodhome,sometimes the hutch is included,i feel for these poor animals,itslike they are doing a backyard clean up and they just get rid of theirpets,or the kids have out grown them,the way that i see it is if you goand choose to buy an animal,you look after it until the day itdies,that animal did not choose them,but the poor things have to suffera broken heart because of some person has lost interest in that petthat they took into their home :(

animals have no voice,they cannot stand up for themselves and say "this is not fair"

it really does sadden me.

cheryl

Me, too. I never really consideredhaving a rabbit before, but now that I have my sweet Maisie, I get somad at things like this! I had no idea it was soprevelant!!

I made sure to research A LOT (about eight hours and asking TONS ofquestions of the people that owned her litter and their parents) beforebringing her home! So it really angers me that people wouldbe so careless in bringing a bun home!

Poor dears...I hope they go to good homes of people that love themtheir whole lives. It's so upsetting to me...I have to thinkthat's what'll happen to handle seeing it. :( Iwasn't even looking for something like that, either! Itjumped out at me from the "free" section of the ads! :X

cheryl13 wrote:
yeah i know what youmean,over here in adelaide we have our local paper called the messengerwhich is delivered every week and guaranteed there are bunniesadvertised for free to good home,sometimes the hutch is included,i feelfor these poor animals,its like they are doing a backyard clean up andthey just get rid of their pets,or the kids have out grown them,the waythat i see it is if you go and choose to buy an animal,you look afterit until the day it dies,that animal did not choose them,but the poorthings have to suffer a broken heart because of some person has lostinterest in that pet that they took into their home :(

animals have no voice,they cannot stand up for themselves and say "this is not fair"

it really does sadden me.

cheryl

I know... It's sad. Most of them probably end upin a shelter once the novelty wears off, or.... I don't even want tothink about it. They always seem to be so young, too. IMO: kits shouldbe AT LEAST 8 weeks before they're sold/given away.

but what gets me is,when you see an ad that saysfree to good home,how would these people know if their unwanted petswere going to a good home anyway,someone could go and get the bunny andtake it home and have it for their dinner,or just neglect the poorthing in the end,hmmm i just dont understand :?

cheryl

Yes...I agree with both of you and what yousaid. I thought four weeks old was WAY too young.In my experiences with cats, it's way too young, so I knew it had to betoo young for buns. With cats, it's recommended that they beat least eight to twelve weeks old.

I hope they get good homes...I hope the people love them and care for them...:?

I don't know where you live, but in some states I think it is illegal to sell bunny kits under 8 weeks.

Where I live, most of the shelters won't adopt out in the month of April (so that people don't just adopt Easter bunnies).

:pink iris:Hi guys. Remember whatGhandi said..'you must be the change you want in the world', so, justkeep on doing what you're doing-being a great rabbit caretaker, andmentor. Others will see. I know it is painful toread these ads, and wonder, but some good can come about it too.

You know what? That's right...andit's what I have to keep in mind. It's hard to remember thatthere are just some ways I can't change the world. I wouldlove to take in every animal that's suffering or sad, or hurting, orforgotten about...but I just can't.

Thank you for reminding us about what Ghandi said. It helped a lot. :)

thor wrote:
:pink iris:Hi guys.Remember what Ghandi said..'you must be the change you want in theworld', so, just keep on doing what you're doing-being a great rabbitcaretaker, and mentor. Others will see. I know itis painful to read these ads, and wonder, but some good can come aboutit too.

I live in California. I'll checkthat out, and report the ads that are illegal. Thanks forletting me know! :)

bunnydude wrote:
I don't know where youlive, but in some states I think it is illegal to sell bunny kits under8 weeks.

Where I live, most of the shelters won't adopt out in the month of April (so that people don't just adopt Easter bunnies).

UPDATE!!

I called Animal Control for my area, and asked them what the state lawssay about what the minimum age requirement is for selling bunnies, andfound out that it is 8 weeks.

So, I then called the place that has the ad for the bunnies that theperson is trying to sell as "Easter Bunnies" at four weeks old, andinformed them of the law. They are going to call AnimalControl to varify, and are going to pull the ad!! YAY!!

They're also going to put a notice in their ad magazine to let peopleknow they will not post ads that do not meet agerequirements. They were aware that it was the same minimumage for puppies, but weren't aware there were age requirements forother animals as well. He thanked me a lot and was veryhelpful and concerned. He said he would talk to the personthat posted the ad to let them know.

YAY!! VICTORY!! :D

Thank you!! I'm sohappy!! I was so worried about those little buns...I hope shelearns from this, and at the very least gives them to a shelter, orsomeone that can take care of them...not to mention, I hope that sheSPAYS her bun!! I mean, if she's that desperate to be rid ofthe baby buns that she would risk their lives so much, the least shecould do is give them to people that have a much better chance atsaving their lives and giving them to a good home!

Here's rootin' for the buns!! :bunnydance::bunnydance:

Heehee...even Maisie's doing binkies!! :colors:

naturestee wrote:
:happydance Good job!:thumbup

Congratulations on stepping up and following through..you did make a change; you did make a difference for the good!:hearts:

:happybunny:Yes!!! Victory for bunny lovers the world over! Way to go!

Back