Growth on bunny's foot

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hicksb1

Reaction score
Hi, I recently adopted a 2 1/2 year old rabbit named Winston. I have had him for about two months. Today I noticed a growth on the top of his foot. I have not noticed it before, and I clipped his nails last week and did not see it so I think it has come in the last week. He stays on carpet most of the time and does have a litter box with a screen. Nothing is wrong with the bottom of any of his feet. The growth is about half the size of a dime, it is pink and squishy, not hard. I had him neutered about two weeks ago and he was checked out by the vet at that time. I don't know if I need to take him in to get this looked at, or if it will go away. Has anyone experienced this or know what it is? I can take him to the vet if necessary, but it doesn't seem to be causing him pain. It is concerning though. I tried to attach a picture. Please let me know

photo 1.jpg

It could be an abscess. It would be good to take your bun to the vet. If it's an infection, your rabbit will need antibiotics.

I think it is an abscess, I have been researching it. Many websites make it seem like an abscess can be fatal. I don't have much to spend on vet bills so I am very nervous. It sounds like treating an abscess is a long process, do you know anything about that?

Depending on the location and extent, some abscesses can be difficult to treat, and some can be fatal, but not all of them are. The most difficult seem to be the ones involving the head. Usually the long process that is involved is having to give medication for a while, especially for an abscess that can't be accessed and removed or drained. Best thing is to have it checked by a good rabbit vet to see if it even is an abscess. Then you'll know what you are dealing with and what your options are. Hopefully whatever is wrong, won't be too difficult to treat.
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=503

You can check these links for a rabbit vet near you if you don't already have one for your bun.
http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f28/finding-vet-13366/

Winston was taken to the vet last night. The vet squeezed the abscess and extracted the puss she could get out. She gave me Baytril that I am supposed to give him twice a day (1mL). She also told me to try to keep opening it up and cleaning it out as often as possible. I just did this and Winston didn't like it too much. The abscess now has a large, open hole that I am afraid he is going to keep licking, is this okay? I soaked his foot in warm water with epsom salts in it to soften it before I tried to clean it out. Quite a bit of puss came out, including a solid chunk that I had to pull out. Hopefully I did this right...I also put a bit of normal neosporin inside of the abscess to see if that helps at all. What would an abscess that is healing look like? I was given two weeks worth of antibiotics, and I don't know how to tell if it's getting better or not :(

Your rabbit licking it shouldn't be a problem, as long as he isn't trying to chew at it as well.

I know with abscesses you have to keep them open and keep the puss cleaned out. If you aren't sure if you are doing it right, best to phone your vet to get instructions and clarification. Once you can't squeeze anymore puss out, that should be a sign that it is healing. When you get to the end of the antibiotics, you will want to check with your vet and give an update on the wound. You don't want to stop antibiotics prematurely if the wound still hasn't healed. And if the antibiotics aren't being effective, you may need to try a different one.

Back