Growling at Feeding Time...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly you have to stop being afraid of her and make sure she knows who is boss. Make it a routine to hold her for like 20 minutes at some point in the day. Get a carrot and let her eat it in your lap after she calms a bit. She's a pet, not a boss. The carrot acts as a reward for her calming down. You can't squeeze the rabbit to make her settle but there are holding techniques to make her sit in your lap without squishing her. She'll have to learn to behave. You wouldn't want a dog or something else that wouldn't listen to you.

I agree, but holding her just makes her run from me for two days, and she's every bit as aggressive as before. It may have even made her more so. I'm not sure pinning her down is the answer... maybe I'm wrong. I'm certainly no expert on rabbits, but w/ Nibs, she doesn't ever calm down... I could pin her for a week, and the whole time she'd look up at me w/ that, "I'm gonna rip off that finger of yours!" look... and then try the instant I let her up. So, far I've changed up where I feed her to make her uncomfortable. If she gets aggressive, she doesn't eat, and when she chargess at me I put my finger right between her eyes and say, "NO!" I don't know if it's doing a ton of good yet, but I hope it does. Thank you for your response, though. It's much appreciated.

I'm so happy for you and Nibs, Farmer Steve!

Yes, definitely check with the local shelter for good pricing.

Please read this site to get all the information you need to make sure Nibbles returns home to you safely from the vet:

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/spay-neuter.html

It has all the information you should know and all the questions you should ask your vet before handing over your bunny. Keep us updated! :big wink:

How do you react when she charges at you?

When Eli become aggressive with me (usually a grunt and a quick pawing), I keep my hand where it was and very still. I have noticed that my rabbits behave that way with each other as well. If one is the aggressor, the aggressee stays still until the aggressor naturally calms down. After Eli finishes his quick pawing, I soothe him by talking to him in my "nice voice" and slowly reach over and pet him instead of going away or getting angry. I do not make any sounds when he aggresses like "Ah!" or squeal/scream. Naturally, children are more fearful and vocal when they get nipped or pawed at. This is probably why HRS and many rabbit organizations state that rabbits are not great pets for children and that the parents should be the primary caretaker if one is owned.

You are quite the cool papa for stepping up and taking care of Nibs, Farmer Steve. Pats on the back. :D

Thanks a lot Eli. I love that rabbit though. Right now she's a bit of a puzzle for me, but I'm sure we'll get past all this... or at least minimize it.:whistling I'll post our progress.

Farmer Steve,

Cage aggression in does is, in my experience, hereditary. It is likely that your rabbit's mother acted similarly when she was ready to be bred. Taking away her food or pinning her to the ground (in my opinion) is not going to change her behavior because it is entirely hormonal. Unlike with a dog or other animal, physical punishment does not work well because rabbits are a prey animal and their first response is to be fearful.

For general hormonal cage aggression (this being any type of cage, food, or other territoriality), spaying will help. Be patient as she recovers, it does take some time for the rabbit's hormones to settle.

In the meantime, when I have minimally aggressive does that nip or "box" my hand, we nip that in the bud right away! I personally prefer to get on their level and scratch them on the head while I pour the food in the dish. This way, they are distracted and their head is kept away from the dish while I'm filling it. I have had a lot of success with this and many of the does end up liking the attention and really enjoy those head rubs at feeding time- so much so that the aggression totally disappears.

Just as a note for the future, this is one reason that obtaining rabbits as adults can be really beneficial. By this time, you can see exactly what their personality will be like, whereas buying a bunny as a baby- you never know. I realize in this case, it wasn't really your idea to begin with so no harm done. I just thought I would mention it incase you ever add to your bunny collection! :p

I have a VERY aggressive, VERY territorial female Bun who used to charge us and try to bite us when we fed her in her cage. She got spayed a month ago, and this behavior is almost gone. She will still grunt occasionally, but the biting has stopped. She has also stopped digging as well. She is still very feisty, though!

its your buns way of saying "I control this and you don"t". go into the pen without touching "Their Stuff". wait forthem to give you a "NOD" that its OK to give them food, Its all about respect. apparently we as humans are required to learn BUN language but not the other way around...

You'll get it, and it will be an amazing moment.

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
Farmer Steve,

Cage aggression in does is, in my experience, hereditary. It is likely that your rabbit's mother acted similarly when she was ready to be bred. Taking away her food or pinning her to the ground (in my opinion) is not going to change her behavior because it is entirely hormonal. Unlike with a dog or other animal, physical punishment does not work well because rabbits are a prey animal and their first response is to be fearful.

For general hormonal cage aggression (this being any type of cage, food, or other territoriality), spaying will help. Be patient as she recovers, it does take some time for the rabbit's hormones to settle.

In the meantime, when I have minimally aggressive does that nip or "box" my hand, we nip that in the bud right away! I personally prefer to get on their level and scratch them on the head while I pour the food in the dish. This way, they are distracted and their head is kept away from the dish while I'm filling it. I have had a lot of success with this and many of the does end up liking the attention and really enjoy those head rubs at feeding time- so much so that the aggression totally disappears.

Just as a note for the future, this is one reason that obtaining rabbits as adults can be really beneficial. By this time, you can see exactly what their personality will be like, whereas buying a bunny as a baby- you never know. I realize in this case, it wasn't really your idea to begin with so no harm done. I just thought I would mention it incase you ever add to your bunny collection! :p
I completely agree with this post. I have found petting the territorial rabbits head while slightly holding it down (to keep them from charging) works great when feeding/removing items from the cage. It helps form a positive association with your hand being in the cage and show the rabbit you are not a threat. I also agree physical punishment, like pinning, does not work well with rabbits.

It's refreshing to see someone so dedicated to work through their rabbit's aggression problems.

Nibbles goes in next Tuesday for surgery. :shock: I found an experienced vet nearby that was fairly reasonable. Nibs has been a lot better though. She still charges at me sometimes, but she doesn't do anything as long as I hold my ground. She kinda just looks confused, then just goes ok... what was I doing?:p I think the crazy aggression was totally hormonal. She may have been in heat or something. Anyway, I just though I'd post something to keep all of you updated.

Latest posts

Back